AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

The gulf in skill and speed between the mens and womens game of AFL must be the greatest in all sport. I think it's more obvious in AFL due to the size of grounds relative to other team sports. The women look glacial in comparison to men, and the old criticism up here in NSW of AFL resembling seagulls fighting over a chip is definitely more apparent here.
This isn't the "Flogs Compare Men's Footy With Women's Footy" thread, mate.

Well well well. For all the jokers who make fun of her forehead, guess what. It’s because she has the biggest brain on PLANET EARTH.

And now the time has come to get another coach fired, lol. But seriously, Ryan Ferguson is suddenly sitting in one mighty hot seat. If this goes on for another few weeks and you’re a Punt Rd Powerbroker, you’re getting the financials in order and setting up a meeting with Erin Phillips, pronto!

It's less satisfying to question Ferguson's position because he seems like a nice guy. But in the words of a roided up Christian Bale, nice doesn't cut it when you're ****ing around on set.

Congrats to West Coast, despite a poor, nervous fourth quarter they fought back well after losing the lead.

Not sure if they are good enough to follow the Swans and compete for a finals spot, but it looks like they will be competitive and that is a good start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to the Eagles but they fell over the line ... Second half was nearly non existent for them. But that first half was excellent and if they bring that speed and pressure they will be good to watch and tough to play against. Daisy has made an impact for sure. Hosking was a force the first half too surprised me in some ways but perhaps she felt she had a point to prove to Richmond.

Tigers overall should have won though, some terrible kicking by Brennan and someone else I can't remember who kicked their first behind by hitting the post. Yassir was fantastic at the end, couple of strong contested marks and that tackle and goal. Conti doing Conti things nearly dragged them to the win herself. McKenzie went missing in the third but otherwise was good too, maybe feeling her way back after a season out.

Yeah well there was obviously an attitude of "Conti and McKenzie will drag us over the line"... and ultimately they did provide enough opportunity to win the game.

The three players who are probably least likely to have that mindset are Sheerin, Sarah Hosking and Lavey. Without them, the 2 young stars were left to not only carry the team offensively but also in terms of defensive intent. The likes of Seymour and Lynch needed to fill that void, but they were nigh on invisible.

Compare that to West Coast who, without Swanson, still had Drennan and Jess Hosking add a harder edge in support of the thoroughbreds (Roberts, Thomas, etc).

I dunno, the West Coast win is quite a boost to the "anything is possible under a new coach" belief.

And with that in mind I might have to walk back my comments a little about tomorrow being a no-excuse match for Carlton. Suppose it's possible we see some new player potential unlocked by Webster (though I still presume it'd have to be among the talls, where the mismatch just seems too great on paper in favour of the Blues).

I dunno, the West Coast win is quite a boost to the "anything is possible under a new coach" belief.

And with that in mind I might have to walk back my comments a little about tomorrow being a no-excuse match for Carlton. Suppose it's possible we see some new player potential unlocked by Webster (though I still presume it'd have to be among the talls, where the mismatch just seems too great on paper in favour of the Blues).

I'm surprised Hawks are favourites tbh, with no Brown (retired) and no Eardley (injured) there's no key backs from last season. I'm a bit surprised Stephenson is only an emergency given the situation. I don't know the list of Carlton well, but if they have a couple of tall forwards, in theory should be able to exploit that.

I'm surprised Hawks are favourites tbh, with no Brown (retired) and no Eardley (injured) there's no key backs from last season. I'm a bit surprised Stephenson is only an emergency given the situation. I don't know the list of Carlton well, but if they have a couple of tall forwards, in theory should be able to exploit that.
Carlton have the "twin" towers of Moody x2 now, who can play forward at the same time while Good rucks.

At least a couple Hawthorn losses last year hinged on one player dominating aerially for the other team--Toogood 8 marks (5 contested) and 2 goals for Essendon, Tighe 12 marks (5 contested) and 3 goals for Fremantle--so that would have to be the main cause for concern.

True, although I would've thought the conditions will calm down sooner rather than later, having already overstayed their welcome.

Unironically it probably won't settle in time for the game at Windy Hill today, however, which features the aforementioned Toogood and Tighe.

That would be very on brand for the GWS women's team, who I'm sure are weather cursed... in complete contrast to the Swans who are seemingly yet to play a home game in anything but pristine conditions, it's crazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 1 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back