Round 1 2025 Fixture Predictions and what is your club's fixture wish list for the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a fan of the 4 NSQ/Qld games personally. It likely means back-to-back travel at some other point of the season. Which is generally best avoided, particularly for Qld and WA sides who generally travel further each trip (I guess the exception being between SEQ and Sydney).
And Thursday is bad enough, Wednesday can **** right off.

The season opened on a Wednesday in 2022 with the Grand Final rematch between the Bulldogs and Melbourne. It worked well, as you'd expect. You can utilize Wednesday in Round 1, in a way you can't in other rounds because of 4-5 day breaks, which are not an issue in round one, because there is no match the previous week. It spreads the games out, is better for TV and it's really the only round you can do it.

There shouldn't be back to back travel (in theory) for the Qld/NSW sides because there is the local derby.

For example if you play out this scenario:

home
away
away - local derby
away
home

Technically there is three away games in a row, but in reality, for travel it is H-A-H-A-H

Forget "Opening Round", What is your Round 1 prediction, who will play who and where?

Thurs: Richmond v Carlton - MCG

Friday: Hawthorn v Essendon - MCG

Saturday: Bulldogs vs Port- Marvel
Saturday(T): Adelaide vs St Kilda - Adelaide Oval
Saturday: Brisbane vs Sydney - GABBA (Channel 7 game)
Saturday: Melbourne v Geelong- MCG

Sunday: Gold Coast v Fremantle - Cararra
Sunday: Collingwood vs GWS - MCG
Sunday: West Coast v North Melbourne - Optus

I am hoping in 2025 the crows can avoid Kardinia park for once, avoid Ballarat. Would be nice to get at least 2 games at the MCG as i think we only got 1 there this year? we dont deserve much as we finished bottom 4 but hoping we can get a kickstart early on by playing teams that finished around us.. i do not want a 0-4 or 1-3 start to the year.
We’re likely be the away team in Round 1 after opening the season against Geelong at the Gabba

I'd like to see the 4 Qld and NSW clubs continue to host 4 matches in the first round, but have it as part of a suite of 9 games, not just 4, so it's just a regular round, albeit with 4 of the 9 games in the Northern States. No crossovers between any of the 9 games.

Wednesday
Brisbane vs Geelong (Gabba) 7:40pm

Thursday
Richmond vs Carlton (MCG) 7:40

Friday
GWS vs Collingwood (Engie Stadium) 7:40

Saturday
Port Adelaide vs Fremantle (AO) 1:10pm
Gold Coast vs St.Kilda (Cararra) 4:40pm
Sydney vs Melbourne (SCG) 7:10pm

Sunday
Nth.Melb vs West.Bulldogs (Marvel) 1:10pm
West Coast vs Adelaide (OS) 4:40PM.....(2:40 in Perth)
Hawthorn vs Essendon (MCG) 7:10pm.... Labor day eve prior to Public holiday in Victoria
2 changes to that
North VS Bulldogs at 2:10pm-Foxtel
Hawthorn VS Essendon at 6:30pm-Foxtel/Channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 2025 Fixture Predictions and what is your club's fixture wish list for the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back