Preview Round 1 - changes/preview v. Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Guess TMc is in for Scache this week...

Also agree with others re s**t effort on the write-up. Usually they at least have half a sentence on each AFL listed Player.
Tmac is playing in the backline I think. Not that you'd know from that write up.

I'd very nearly drop Lever for Tmac. That's how bad Lever is going! That guy has fallen off a cliff in form.
I’d volunteer to fall off a cliff if we could find a better option than either

Also agree with others re s**t effort on the write-up. Usually they at least have half a sentence on each AFL listed Player.

It's pretty much just a summation of their tweets from the game. Better than nothing I suppose, but weird that we used to get way better reports when we were in debt every year than we do now with the club always boasting about the books.

IMO Fullarton comes in for Schache, was emergency last week, and could see a world where TMac comes in for Tomlinson potentially too.

Nah, he's been nowhere near AA standard since 21. Put Salem and Langdon in the same boat. All 3 have been disappointing since the flag. All capable of a lot more than what they've dished up.

I don't disagree all 3 of those have been underwhelming for the most part, but I'd take Lever's average form over the last 2 seasons over TMac replacing him any day of the week. He still needs to be better, but that's a bit of an overreaction IMO.

Schache has to go. Wouldn't mind going smaller/agile up forward and not replacing Schache with a tall. Fritsch and van Rooyen as our key forwards (switching with Gawn occasionally for a rest).

Out: Bowey (inj), Schache, Chandler (to sub)
In: Woewodin, Pickett, Billings

Laurie gets another chance, just

I don't disagree all 3 of those have been underwhelming for the most part, but I'd take Lever's average form over the last 2 seasons over TMac replacing him any day of the week. He still needs to be better, but that's a bit of an overreaction IMO.
Well I wasn't being serious. Just highlighting how poor Lever has been. Disco would be a much better replacement for Lever if his form continues to nosedive

Yeah as others have pointed out Tmac has done the preseason in the backline

We are on good odds for them to rush Petty back off injury than throw Tmac up forward i feel like and that is dangerous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, he's been nowhere near AA standard since 21. Put Salem and Langdon in the same boat. All 3 have been disappointing since the flag. All capable of a lot more than what they've dished up.
Tmac hasn't been AFL standard for two years.

This s**t makes me want to scream considering how much we've been calling out for him to play more midfield time.

It is tricky though. We play a rebounding style and last year he was our best rebounding player and best by foot. With Bowey out now it takes away another good kick from the backline, so he may be needed there more maybe.

I still think the key forward of the ball is not bypassing the 60-40m range like we seem to often do. We have good ball winners who are poor kicks, kicking it straight over the head of not good ball winners who are good kicks, to forwards who aren't moving and we wonder why there's no "connection".

Schache has to go. Wouldn't mind going smaller/agile up forward and not replacing Schache with a tall. Fritsch and van Rooyen as our key forwards (switching with Gawn occasionally for a rest).

Out: Bowey (inj), Schache, Chandler (to sub)
In: Woewodin, Pickett, Billings

Laurie gets another chance, just

Largely agree with these changes, particularly with Schache out obviously.

But assuming he's fit, which he must be since he was emergency last week, I reckon you have to see what Fullarton has got now. Once Petty is fit it's going to be hard to get a look at Fullarton and we don't want to be getting to the back end of the season before we find out whether he can play a role as a second tall forward and backing up Max in the ruck.

You'd think if Champion Data could work out anything they could work out the only people Goody's sides actively try to get the ball in the hands of are the 3 blokes at the contest who grab it and bang it forward 30 times a game.
It's why I don't understand why people don't blame Trac and Oliver and previously Gus for our poor ball movement, they literally have a 3rd of our total disposals and just as heavy of an influence of the i50 count

It is tricky though. We play a rebounding style and last year he was our best rebounding player and best by foot. With Bowey out now it takes away another good kick from the backline, so he may be needed there more maybe.

I still think the key forward of the ball is not bypassing the 60-40m range like we seem to often do. We have good ball winners who are poor kicks, kicking it straight over the head of not good ball winners who are good kicks, to forwards who aren't moving and we wonder why there's no "connection".
We should be using Rivers the same way the Pies use Nick Daicos. He won't be nearly as good, but he needs to be closer to the contest rather than sitting 20 metres behind it. He's one of the few guys on our side who can break the game open and is good enough to evade tackles.

We should be using Rivers the same way the Pies use Nick Daicos. He won't be nearly as good, but he needs to be closer to the contest rather than sitting 20 metres behind it. He's one of the few guys on our side who can break the game open and is good enough to evade tackles.
I just think it's lip service when we talk about connections forward and shit. I think we still just wanna get it in, lock it in, set up the defensive zone and score from repeat entries.

It's why I don't understand why people don't blame Trac and Oliver and previously Gus for our poor ball movement, they literally have a 3rd of our total disposals and just as heavy of an influence of the i50 count

Partly because they're clearly not coached to spread the ball to outside runners and the players who are capable of running from the back aren't coached to be receiving the ball from those guys and the half forwards who they should be kicking to a lot of the time are coached to be pushed right up at the contest to cover for Trac and Oliver rather than being mobile forward targets.

It's obvious their disposal is often the one that lets us down but aside from magically hoping they suddenly start kicking like Dusty Martin we appear to have made precisely no effort in the last 2.5 years to develop a plan which plays to their strengths.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 1 - changes/preview v. Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back