Autopsy Round 1 - Deja Vu

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t add much to the criticisms to what’s already been said.

We clearly went in too tall and CCJ had a very disappointing debut. We didn’t capitalise during own dominate periods with our forward entries, and Hawthorn’s transition killed us in the second half.

McKay was and is going to be a huge loss. It really unsettled our defence.

Some things are more fixable than others. One of CCJ/Xerri need to go out for balance. Stevo needs to be dropped after multiple average games. We need to look at Curtis, or even Goater, to get some more general leg speed. Thomas was disappointing, but I know he has the talent.

No easy fix for our defence. Good to see Hall and L Mac back to their best.

I thought LDU, Jy and Taylor all had a crack.

Picked a giant lineup and all I saw was Lewis and co clunk contested mark after contested mark whilst it was fumble city into turnover in our front half.

Compounded by running out of puff due to being top heavy.

Those handball clangers from Hall and LDU in the 2nd were the catalyst for a steady decline whilst hawks just gained confidence from having the ball gifted to them.

CCJ had an ordinary debut and that’s being kind. Hall loves kicking a flour bag

Just a bit disappointing seeing the prevalence of fumbling and kicking out on the full after a full pre season

1. Our forward line is completely dysfunctional.

Three talls works when you have a 2 x athletic KPP and and athletic freak ala Petrie, Brown and Waite but 1 x athletic KPP and 2 x logs is just ridiculous..

Thomas, Zurhaar and Stephenson are all too similar - they’re freakish but go missing for massive chunks of the game.

We need a swingman with elite skills running out of the backline and Thomas needs to play that role. Don’t give me the ‘you dont park your Rolls Royce in the backyard’ crap he’s wasted in a forward pocket and all the top teams have a gun with skills streaming out of the backline; Whitfield, Johansen, Hurn, etc..

We need a legit crumber with speed, skill and goal sense so Paul Curtis must play.

2. Premierships are built on defence and our backline is quite possible the worst in living memory..

Take out LMac and it’s the worst in history..

Young and Corr have been extremely underwhelming since coming to us, but having only one KPB to rely on in BMac does contribute to this so getting a key CHB is vital to taking pressure of these two and JZ who are so far out of their depth its crazy. Yes Ive banged on about Chom being trialled there but it might have to be a necessity if BMac is out with concussion next week, otherwise we’ll be going in with our tallest backman around 6’1..

We need to spend our next two drafts targeting the best U18 backmen in the country.

Gee its going to be a long couple of years.. fu** I hate losing..
Spot on re backline.

I have watched every game of round 1 so far, except Geelong v * , which i refused to watch.

We are easily the least skilled side by a mile. Fumbling, dropped marks, handballs to feet. I love North but it's mental torture watching us.

And can someone please tell me what our game plan is ? Bang it long and hope one of our three ruckman mark it ??

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke McDonald had one of those absolute blinders. Hold your head up mate!

LDU was doing just about everything in the middle.

Sleevo... wouldn't be surprised if dropped.

JHF. Star.

Goldy. Literally our only forward basically that could kick goals. WTF.

Hall. Wow we need to keep this guy for as long as we can. Despite some odd moments he was again, one of our best. Can he just kick the goal when he's far ahead of everyone else? Sleevo absolutely butchered his run but it wasn't on.

CCJ. Besides the goal assist, idk...

Larkey. Back to early 2021 Larkey.

Lazz. Oof.

Powell. Used the ball well, got a lot of it and went in hard. Honest effort.

Taylor. Great first half and was the only bloke roving with Mahony forward of centre.

Mahony. Absolutely crucified by umps. It's not fair man.

JZ. He's not a 1v1 defender.

Corr. Looks off his best. Didn't read the ball well at all.

McKay MIA injury is a tragedy.

Xerri. Barely noticed him but he gave us something in the ruck. Could be something. Could be not idk.

Cam Z. Back to pre-dog owner Cam Z.

Jy. Tried his absolute guts out.

Turner... idk he just kept crashing into our own.

Greenwood. At one point was the only bloke hitting targets inside 50. lol

TT. Very quiet.

Scott. Linked up well, just couldn't do enough damage.

Young. Did alright all things considered. He plays next week. Need to see more of him.

Yeah cause we literally didn't have a key defender playing on him once McKay went down. He should have kicked at least 7 honestly cause there was literally no one in the back 6 that could have beaten him in the air 1v1.

People need to be asking WHY we only have one key defender this year. We lowballed our best and most experienced KPD and he walked. Which might have been wiser if we had someone, anyone developing to fill that 2nd KPD role. All our hopes then go to our young, up and coming full back...who's out injured within the first half of the first game of the year.

This type of list management just isn't acceptable IMO, and there's only so long we can hide behind 'rebuilding' to justify what was always going to be an insanely risky KPD balance.

Powelly must be down on confidence, he was missing a few handballs he would have hit 9.5 out of 10 times.

I would love to see legitimate changes in the way we enter 50 for ages I’ve said that we have no movement from our forwards inside 50.

Stevo has to learn how to drop punt or at least hit a banana properly, 3 times he has hit the belly and it’s gone in no man’s land. I can literally give him a free tutorial.

JHF had a great debut in a poor team.

I thought early on Jy was excellent, hit the scoreboard as we all wished he would do more often, hopefully he can continue the streak.

Lukey Mac was excellent I wonder how many intercept marks he took.

I’m flat, I thought we could have won it, was a pleasure to meet Luke72 today.

Think the coaches let the players down to be honest.

Forward structure and ball movement was terrible. What happened to the short kicks through the middle we saw last year? We just looked so scrappy and lost moving it around.

Also three rucks is for the bin - reflects poorly on match committee. Goldy and Xerri are best performed so they get the nod.

McDonald - our best by a mile, underrated among our own supporters
Scott - liked his game, actually creates some movement
Curtis Taylor - works hard both ways, would benefit from a better structure where people know what they're doing
JHF - going to be great watching him
TT and Stepho - really poor from supposed playmakers
Lazzaro - works hard but sloppy and no composure
Powell - atrocious, didn't even look enthused to be there
Mahoney - decent
Jy and LDU - set for good years
Ziebell - played well in difficult circumstances
Hall - works hard but hit and miss disposal, again we have no predictable movement ahead of the ball so makes it hard
Greenwood - good pickup
Zurhaar - I think he struggled with the ridiculous forward setup
Young - keeps his spot

Jy, LMac and LDU excellent. Curtis, Hall and Powell were good. Taz gave us fu** all. Stevo even less than that. Too tall up forward, we looked lazy and unfit. 3 goals in the 2nd half is pathetic. Drop CCJ, Polec comes in.
That’s about all we can do atm. Bring in Walker for Mackay if unavailable

Could we have tried to clog up the d50 with one of the rucks ?

The good: LMac, LDU, Simpkin, Lachie Young, Curtis, Hall other than his kicking

The bad: Hall's kicking, defending kickouts, defensive transition (again), discipline, turnovers costing goals when we were on top, match winners in Stepho, Thomas, Zurhaar not turning up. THat last point made it a lot closer than it should have been at half time.

Lachie Young wasn't our worst. Keeps his spot next week
Held his own, agreed.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The good: LMac, LDU, Simpkin, Lachie Young, Hall other than his kicking

The bad: Hall's kicking, defending kickouts, defensive transition (again), discipline, turnovers costing goals when we were on top. THat last point made it a lot closer than it should have been at half time.
If only criticise halls disposal in the second half was good in the 1st

I’m just a little skeptical as to what Lazzaro is going to bring and what’s different to let’s say Young or those waiting on the development fringes in Bergham and Goater?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 1 - Deja Vu

Remove this Banner Ad

Back