Review Round 1 Showdown v Port at Alberton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

A win's a win.

I found it strange Adelaide players were reluctant to take long shots with the wind, but were happy to bomb it to half-forward where Port had cover behind the contest.

Love the endeavour but the skills continue to deteriorate year on year.

Talent is spread too thin unfortunately.
Reply I have on repeat for everyone that wonders in here and has this opinion after watching round 1 of an AFLW season;

Players have not played a game at this level in 9 months… not to mention it was a ridiculously congested game on a heavily windswept suburban ground under lights in August, it’s not exactly conducive to some fanciful idea of a what a perfect looking game of football should be. Have you ever watched the quality of a Friday night game of the SANFL at the Parade especially when conditions aren’t great? hell did you see the Saints/Gold Coast game earlier this year?

Australian Rules football is not some magical beautiful perfect non-mistake ridden sport, the sport itself is build on just rewarding teams that make less mistakes.

I mean you can criticise for sure I mean some missed kicks, decision making and ball handling errors weren’t good for sure but you shouldn’t paint it as none of them have absolutely any idea what they’re doing out there. I mean why do they specifically have to be absolute near perfection out there?

Bit of a game review;

Positives:

• Team showed their trademark toughness, Port went out there with one plan and one plan only; to make it an ugly congested rolling maul of a game and despite playing in to their hands at times the Crows still were able to hold them off.
  • Said pre-game Jess Allan would be imperative to getting the win and she stepped up to the task, just out-smarted ‘spray tan’ Scholz especially around the ground by taking away her vertical & reach advantage by planting her frame into her torso & caused Scholz to reach over her shoulder and give away dumb frees inside 50. Important on transition too the few times the team was actually able to get some link up going on transition.
  • The ability to lock the ball inside 50 should be the big take away from this game, 30 tackles inside 50 is a big improvement and was the biggest positive from the game.
  • Game suited Hatchard and Marinoff so they were just able to do their thing, they’ve done it so often before and carried the team over the line yet again. Not fashionable, not pretty nor maybe progressive for the ‘look of the game’ but for better or worse given how the game was setup they needed ‘ground & pound’ fighters & there’s no better.
  • Goodwin was super composed off halfback - it’s a pity she’s needed back there at the moment because the team desperately could use her up the ground. Her, Randall and Thompson were good off half-back.
  • Thought Kustermann & Varnhagan had a couple of important moments.

Negatives;

• Positioning of players was just dumb, all night, no other way to describe it, both kicking with the wind & against it. Forwards played consistently from behind and defenders got easily nudged under the ball by always looking to take front position, lost count the amount of times the forwards direct opponents lead them to the ball and amount of times the ball got over the back of the defenders 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • Kelly and Newman not keeping any width on the wings, they both got totally sucked into the rolling mauls and provided very little outside options/run - don’t think it was totally their fault as they just looked like they were following instructions but that’s really not their game. Newman was able to fight on and at least get her hands on the ball whereas Kelly really was nowhere near it at times. Don’t know why Clarke just allowed it to continue to happen, Port’s coaching staff would’ve been wrapped as one of the Crows main weapons that could hurt them was nullified.
  • Jones kicked 2 goals which were valuable but was still not that happy with her game, her tackling pressure was great but is that the role they really want from one of the most talented players on the list? Dropped marks, always behind her opponent and had 4 disposals for the match.
  • Hard not to be disappointed yet again by those up forward, the forward line overall just a mess, no one is exactly sure of what there role is or when to actually lead for the ball. As was shown last season Gould helps but isn’t the magic tonic to cure all problems.
  • Tonon actually takes 2 grabs in the forward line - a rare commodity in this team, sure she stuffs up one kick but is then messed-around with as a player again and is shoved into defence where she struggles again.
  • Speaking of positions think Ponter should’ve been played closer to goal in that 2nd half and Levy given a lot more midfield minutes instead.
  • Martin and Waterhouse had shockers, looked allergic to the ball. Martin has become such a nothing player, both had shockers in that prelim final loss last season where they didn’t look up to the level, Clarke should’ve taken note as it was pretty much a repeat performance tonight.

Last edited:

I think I saw the stupidest captaining in Football history last night.

In the first quarter, there was a ball up on our HFF. And Ports captain told one of her defenders to push up.

Left it as a 3-2 advantage in our forward line. Who the **** does that.

Had a close friend visiting from interstate yesterday so didn't get to watch the game until today. Good to grind out a win! Port have some quality young players, we need to be in Goody and Piper's ears ASAP about making the switch.

Firewalker - agree with most of your points, although I thought Martin was okay tonight. Better than most of last season, anyway. Jones and Hatchard are both quality players who nonetheless make silly errors at bad times. Fortunately they provide a lot of good as well.

Marinoff at her dominant best, the clear best player on the ground. Since both teams determined to turn the game into a contested scrap, it was always going to play into her hands, and sure enough she was fantastic.

Hatchard mostly good, but with some awful errors. Newman pretty good as well. Randall with flashes of her 2018-19 form but I fear her best days are behind her now. Sarah Allan solid as ever without being a standout. Biddell handy at both ends of the ground.

I thought Prowse was the best defender on the ground, other than one brief period where she made a couple of minor blues.

Boileau has something, without being a standout yet. Reminded me a bit of Charlton in her first season, good enough to hold a spot without being a standout, but clearly has something worth persisting with. I don't mind the idea of playing her primarily as a forward off the bench for the whole season.

Kustermann looked good in the first half. Faded away after that. Levy definitely has something but seemed to just cough up a couple of opportunities late. Varnhagen continues to surprise me with being not awful. She's depth, but decent depth. Tonon up forward looked good while it lasted, I hope they keep trying her there because she's not going to make it in defence. Goodwin was solid and uses the ball really nicely.

The forward line badly missed Gould. I know she's not a silver bullet, but we lacked any serious marking target tonight, unless you want to count Jones' non-stop unrealistic attempts at a specky.

Jess Allan is a beast. Scholz is a seriously good ruck, but she couldn't do anything with Jess.

Not sure what happened to Kelly tonight. She was barely around the ball at all. Waterhouse struggled to get involved too.

Gould, Allen and Charlton all to come back, and all three will be pretty big improvements on whoever they replace.

I think Port will take some scalps this year. If they play that game against some of the bottom sides they'll win easily.

Bring on Freo next week! They smashed Essendon away yesterday, so travelling over to Perth looks like a pretty tough trip.

Jess Allan smashed Scholz in the ruck. Close to winning BOG. She made Scholz look like the worst ruck.
Noffy was BOG and was in everything.
Hatchy was good and took marks.
Sarah Allan played around the ball and was okay. A lot better than in the practice match.
Randall went back at times and played midfield at times. I think her strength is in defence.
Prowse was very good, but dropped many marks in the second half. If she'd taken those marks, it would've been a fantastic game.
EJ was solid but had too many almost moments.

Waterhouse vs R.Martin: Both were below average but Martin was slightly better if one were to be dropped.

I watched that Freo match and they were amazing. Won't be as easy as Port.
Tighe will be a tough matchup down back. Strom was incredible in the ruck, but I think Allan can match her.

I thought Prowse was the best defender on the ground, other than one brief period where she made a couple of minor blues.
Thought she was excellent too.

A bit frustrated she dropped quite a lot of those "kinda contested" marks, where she read the flight of it and positioned herself way better than anyone else and was the only one that had hands up to get it, but dropped it. Happened 5+ times I'd think. Could be leading the league for intercept marks if she got that right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there any reason why Hannah Ewings wasn't playing for Port?

She has taken the season off for personal reasons.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/1634028/aflw-squad-update

The club can also confirm midfielder Hannah Ewings will take extended personal leave from the group and won’t be available for selection in 2024.

There are various rumours about whether it's mental health related, or ongoing fitness issues, but nothing concrete.

Edit: Saw this on the Port forum

View attachment 2085484

Coaches votes out, and astoundingly Marinoff didn't get 10 votes. One of the two coaches is clearly blind.

9 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
9 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
5 Shineah Goody (PORT)
5 Jessica Allan (ADEL)
1 Cheyenne Hammond (PORT)
1 Eloise Jones (ADEL)

That's essentially Marinoff and Hatchard sharing 5/4 votes, Goody and Allan sharing 3/2 votes, and Hammond and Jones getting one vote each. Probably a fair set of votes overall, other than the obvious 10 Marinoff, 8 Hatchard that should have occurred.

Not a bad effort from Goody on debut! She got the rising star nom as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her win the whole thing. I really hope we can get her in Crows colours one day, but it might be tough given she's been in the Port academy for several years now. Any chance she was a Crows fanatic growing up?

Doesn't love the game? That would be a shame, she seemed very talented

She seemed to have a difficult season last year, with commentary around her fitness not being at the required standard, and being chucked deep forward for most of the year. I think there are still issues with how the game is not fully professional yet, but these women are expected to show up in top condition despite working other jobs and growing into their 20s with all the body changes that come with it. It sounds like there might be some mental health challenges associated with that, the stress of it, etc.

Not that you want anyone to be having mental health challenges, but this could be a way of getting her over to the Crows. Give her a fresh start, etc. She doesn't need to be a franchise player over here, can just fill a role.

Coaches votes out, and astoundingly Marinoff didn't get 10 votes. One of the two coaches is clearly blind.

9 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
9 Anne Hatchard (ADEL)
5 Shineah Goody (PORT)
5 Jessica Allan (ADEL)
1 Cheyenne Hammond (PORT)
1 Eloise Jones (ADEL)

That's essentially Marinoff and Hatchard sharing 5/4 votes, Goody and Allan sharing 3/2 votes, and Hammond and Jones getting one vote each. Probably a fair set of votes overall, other than the obvious 10 Marinoff, 8 Hatchard that should have occurred.

Not a bad effort from Goody on debut! She got the rising star nom as well, and I wouldn't be surprised to see her win the whole thing. I really hope we can get her in Crows colours one day, but it might be tough given she's been in the Port academy for several years now. Any chance she was a Crows fanatic growing up?
I disagree that that was obvious.

As I was walking out the ground I was thinking. Marinoff likely to get the medal, but would understand either Hatchard or J.Allan getting it either.

I Maybe
5-5 Marinoff
4-3 Hatchard
4-2 Allan
3-2 Goody

would've been a fairer split of the top?
Idk. I just felt Allan was amazing

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 1 Showdown v Port at Alberton Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back