Review Round 2 v Fremantle at Fremantle Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

It's Richmond yellow, not gold. Complete fail for a yellow heavy design
That's not actually what I'm noticing.

With the different body shapes of women, the crow is a little distorted and it's giving me Murder of crows vibes

Well to me at least historically it’s always seemed like the 2nd round of the AFLW season is a bit of a down round in terms of ‘quality’ for large periods of the game after such a long break and a big build up to the first game of the year, seemed that way again not just in this game but league wide. No pre-season games or training prepare you for actual matches so the bodies not recovering the best and not moving the quickest post-round 1 plays a big role. Lots of teams this weekend seemed to be struggling to break the shackles out of the heavy contests and score especially in 2nd halves when fatigue set in.

Martin carving out a career despite not having any ability to hit any teammate by hand and foot is quite the effort
I'd rather Waterhouse in the team. Waterhouse has speed, tackling pressure and is creative around goals. Also has a decent kick for goal as well. I don't think I'd trust Martin to kick further than 30m.

Not a game for the ages but held them goalless and really should've won at 8-9 goals.

A lot to work on still, but 2-0 with a pretty favourable run is a good start. Brisbane the tricky one in the next month.
Freo are a really bad side. Other than Strom, Tighe and O'Driscoll, who else do they have.

I'd rather Waterhouse in the team. Waterhouse has speed, tackling pressure and is creative around goals. Also has a decent kick for goal as well. I don't think I'd trust Martin to kick further than 30m.
Martin’s furthest kicks are 25 metres… and over her teammate’s head as the teammate she’s kicking to is only 20 metres away.

Freo are a really bad side. Other than Strom, Tighe and O'Driscoll, who else do they have.
Brazill and Scanlon were made to look very decent with some poor entries from the Crows midfield and lacklustre defensive efforts also from the Crows forwards. Double teaming Tighe early ultimately meant they looked totally lost going forward as without her they have no forwards. Ebony Antonio would have claims to be the most disappointing AFLW player in its history given the talent she showed early.

Martin’s furthest kicks are 25 metres… and over her teammate’s head as the teammate she’s kicking to is only 20 metres away.
She is 153cm tall. There will be a limit to how far she can kick. I wonder if these girls can put more time in the gym to strengthen their legs to be able to kick further? I mean, I saw Zorko throw the ball 40m when giving the ball back to the opposition for their free kick. That arm is twice as strong as some of these legs.

Brazill and Scanlon were made to look very decent with some poor entries from the Crows midfield and lacklustre defensive efforts also from the Crows forwards. Double teaming Tighe early ultimately meant they looked totally lost going forward without her they have no forwards, Ebony Antonio would have claims to be the most disappointing AFLW player in its history given the talent she showed early.
She is getting on in age. 32. Maybe she's just slowing down? I still remember that goal she kicked from near the boundary quite far out as well.

She is getting on in age. 32. Maybe she's just slowing down? I still remember that goal she kicked from near the boundary quite far out as well.
Now age is probably catching up but she certainly had claims post season 1 as being a dominant force in the competition, never got close to reaching those levels again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These days, she's mostly playing deep forward. Think she played higher up the ground back in the day.
Been moved all over the place in her career, think she started out at centre half forward, was moved to loose in the backlines, then used as a lockdown defender, they also tried to turn her into a mid/winger then eventually back up forward.

The quality Fremantle lost to West Coast is chalk and cheese compared to what we lost to Port
To be fair only Hooker and maybe Gibson proved to be any great loss directly from them and getting McCarthy from them has made up for it.

Their much greater loss that has had the biggest impact perhaps on the whole competition was the AFL ripping all the WA star players out and making them marquee players at all other clubs. A Freo team with Chelsea Randall, Emma King, Emma Swanson, Renee Forth, Sabrina Fredrick and Kellie Gibson wins multiple flags and holds complete dominance at the start of the competition.

Crows lost Phillips who only had 1 good year left in her and Saint. Other than that, who else did we lose? We gained Goodwin from them too.

Foley and Mules as well (and Simmons, I guess?), but it's more the complete inability to hit the draft over the last few years. There have been something like ten SA players who could all have been first-round picks including several of the best players in the draft, and Port has been able to take basically all of them. Young, Goody, Window, Brooksby, Scholz, Ewings, Boag, Goodwin, and probably others I'm forgetting about. We got Goodwin back, but damn, even half of those would be bloody handy!

Interesting match. Frustrating to watch, but that was due to Fremantle being determined to flood back. The Crows seem perfectly fine with being undermanned at the stoppage given the dominance of Marinoff, Hatchard, J. Allan and Ponter when she's in there. Biddell was great in her 50th, and S. Allan, Randall and Ponter were all solid down back as well. Gould was a great target up forward, although very wasteful with the ball. Newman, Goodwin, Kelly and Thompson were all pretty handy as loose options. I'm really enjoying Goodwin's ball use this year, I'm noticing her a lot more than I did last season.

Not too many players with poor games. Varnhagen still stuck in the 2017 "get the ball and boot it roughly in the direction of our F50" gameplan that doesn't work when Fremantle is playing so many extra down back. Levy has nice hands but seems slow as a wet week out there, I'm not sure what her best position is. Boileau not as good this week. Tonon still looks lost down back. Martin offering very little offensively, but one of her better defensive games in a while. Jones struggling to put it all together at the moment but has enough class to get by.

I'd have Marinoff over Hatchard just barely, despite Hatchy having the extra goal. Marinoff, Hatchard and Randall the three best on for mine, then throw a blanket over Newman, Biddell, Gould and J. Allan.

I'd love to see Kelly get involved more. She's been good, but not nearly at her dominant 2023 form. She's definitely got a gear to step up into. Kustermann up forward was decent. I think having Hatchard rest up forward is a good move, especially with Charlton set to come back.

Last edited:
Also, who was that commentator who was just laying into Fremantle for the whole match? Pulled absolutely no punches with it, damn. I started to feel a bit bad for them by the end!

Was he a former Freo player or something? Just seemed brutal with it!
Was that former West Coast player Will Schofield?

Game review;

Positives:

Intercept game the clear stand out today which setup the win, something like 20 odd intercept marks. Had 61 marks overall - including 11 inside 50, one of the team’s best aerial displays I can remember.​

Chelsea Randall winding the clock back, repelled Freo attacks and rebounded them back all day. Set the tone of the game early and Freo had no answer for her dropping back across that half-back line.​
Marinoff again also set the tone early & the goal she kicked proved to be very important given the chances that were missed. Just everywhere as usual, not as clean as last week but that was most likely due to being triple-teamed at times. A game played like that there’s no better - 19 tackles, was held a bit quieter in the 2nd half.​
With all Freo’s attention on Marinoff in the 2nd half, Hatchard was then able to take over and have her impact, more of a body of work game from her, again did have a couple of her typical ‘Hatchy moments’ as I like to describe them but overall very good and her ability to hit the scoreboard with goals is invaluable at the moments given the team’s forwards seem allergic to them.​
Kelly seemed back to her normal self, took the game on & was able to provide some much needed run.​
Maddie Newman was good too, has clearly been challenged to change her game to fit in with more of the style the coaches want and has been able to do that (for better or worse). Contested game has improved from non-existent to more prominent than her uncontested game, seems to be filling a more 3rd main midfield role when Ponter & Randall leave the centre clearance and go to their positions up forward & down back. Has turned herself into a bit of ball magnet which isn’t easy to do given how much ball Marinoff & Hatchard hoard between themselves, just wish she would use her leg more, is more 50/50 kick to handball ratio now and shouldn’t be given she has one of the best legs in the league.​
Gould provided that option that was desperately missed, attacked the ball brilliantly in the air but unfortunately kicking did seem limited most likely due to her injury.​
Kustermann is looking more comfortable game by game, looks like she has got herself very fit as she has run the first 2 games out well.​
Prowse, S.Allan, Goodwin & Biddell are just a class above in defence, best in the league. Freo had no answers to getting past them, Tighe having to go up to halfback line to get a kick was evidence of that.​

Negatives:

Despite having 15 tackles inside 50 which isn’t bad (half of last weeks amount though) the ball still pinged out of the forward line too easily. Combination of poor delivery inside 50 but also thought the defensive efforts of the forwards was chalk & cheese compared to last week. Brazill and Scanlon had it far too easy down there and Jones & Ponter’s positioning again was poor.​
You just know not finishing off chances especially early will eventually cost them at some stage like it did last season. The football club as a whole does seem to never cope well with wind, West Lakes must be the stillest place in the country.​
Varnhagen & Munyard proving Leopards don’t change their spots, the same problems they’ve always had as players are still there;​
Varnhagen grabs the ball, runs into trouble then either gets caught or turns it over.​
Munyard either overruns the ball/fumbles or she grabs it & is too slow and gets caught in possession or she runs away with the ball onto her wrong side and ends up trying to scramble a possession either off balance or under pressure.​
^ Mueller dropped and those 2 in the team a s**t move​
Martin had 7 tackles & again started ok but her 2nd half like last week was abysmal, doesn’t look fit enough and can’t get to enough contests in time to actually impact them, the rare time she gets to the ball first her disposal is garbage. Waterhouse a better option but Martin seems to be Clarke’s non-statistical undroppable player.​
Fear Boileau is falling into that Levy/Tonon category of being a young talented player but is left totally out on the periphery and can’t get more than 7-9 disposals a game. Hopefully she is given more chances around the action with more experience which doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen for Levy & Tonon who are so used to being kept out of the action when they have their rare opportunities they always feel under pressure with ball in hand.​
Don’t know if Jones was injured late but a nothing game from her, too talented to put in performances like that. Couldn’t believe some of the praise she got for last week’s game when the reason she laid so many tackles was because she was always trailing her opponents.​
Slight worry was Freo was able to match the Crows in and around the clearances, you can tell why they played their part in turning it into such an ugly contested driven game because they do rate their work in there, the Crows defence saved the day on a number of occasions especially in the 3rd when Freo got on top in the midfield for a time there.​
Thought J.Allan struggled with her tap work up until 3qtr time and couldn’t find a direct connection with her mids like she usually does.​
Still struggling to find reliable scoring options up forward, maybe Najwa Allen will be the solution when she returns from her hammy, either that or as I keep saying put Thompson back up there.​

Last edited:
Not a game for the ages but held them goalless and really should've won at 8-9 goals.

A lot to work on still, but 2-0 with a pretty favourable run is a good start. Brisbane the tricky one in the next month.

The Hawks next round will be very interesting. They’ve looked very good especially up front. A real test.

Coaches votes for this week:

9 Hatchard
9 Marinoff
5 Randall
5 Newman
1 Brazill
1 O'Sullivan

Hatchard and Marinoff again sharing the 5/4 votes at the top. They're now tied at the top of the coaches votes across the entire competition. Randall and Newman share the 3/2 votes, with Brazill and O'Sullivan picking up a vote each. I thought Brazill was clearly the best on ground for Freo, surprised there was one coach who didn't give her a single vote. I think there's an argument she could have even gone ahead of Newman. But the top three is definitely correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2 v Fremantle at Fremantle Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back