Preview Round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the exception of Ling and probably Podsiadly this is how i think we should/will line up

Milburn Scarlett Mackie
Enright Taylor Kelly
Varcoe Bartel Wojcinski
Chapman Mooney Duncan
Johnson Hawkins Stokes

Ottens Corey Selwood

Menzel T.Hunt West/Simpson/Byrnes/J.Hunt

West, Byrnes, Simpson and Hunt to fight out the last bench spot and SUB position.

The 2 key position are the half back/wing with Varcoe and Wojo breaking the lines and isolating Hawkins one out with Stokes and Dogga at his feet.

With the exception of Ling and probably Podsiadly this is how i think we should/will line up

Milburn Scarlett Mackie
Enright Taylor Kelly
Varcoe Bartel Wojcinski
Chapman Mooney Duncan
Johnson Hawkins Stokes

Ottens Corey Selwood

West, Byrnes, Simpson and Hunt to fight out the last bench spot and SUB position.

The 2 key position are the half back/wing with Varcoe and Wojo breaking the lines and isolating Hawkins one out with Stokes and Dogga at his feet.
That backline looks too slow
Not sure Mooney is ready for rd 1, though Scott says only Pods/Ling likely to miss.
J Hunt > T Hunt at this stage.
If Mooney n/a Ottens FF, Simpson/West or Blake in ruck?

Mooney will be right and is more important to this team than many people realise, playing as the lead up forward.
1. St.Kildas forward arent all that quick and we need Kelly aand Boris quickly rebounding from defence.
2. Ottens should never be permanantly played in the front half as hes lack of pace allows the opposition to run it out easily if he doesnt mark the ball.
3. I think we need Poodles pace and i cant find a spot for Josh at the moment.

Milburn Scarlett Mackie
Enright Taylor Kelly
Varcoe Bartel Wojcinski
Chapman Mooney Duncan
Johnson Hawkins Stokes

Ottens Corey Selwood

This Geelong board fixation with Taylor Hunt is just damn amusing. He really hasn't shown that he can handle a smart, experienced small forward. J.Hunt played 23 of 24 games last year(I think) and had one of his best seasons.. no spot? Mackie had a TERRIBLE year and embarrassed by being sat on his backside before finals, best 22 starter? Duncan starting on the ground over Byrnes?? Byrnes also played all but 1 game in 2010 and kicked 35 goals? WTF? When Geelong were still one of the best home and away teams for the year, with wins on the board in the past when Ablett was absent. One sheep, two sheep, three on here.... :confused:

TBO I won't be shocked to see Mackie running out in round 1. Deserved? If he does it'll be on his popularity and reputation only. For a defender he is rubbish. And I'm talking from a defense perspective here. Not just unaccountable but weak in contests(goes to ground), no physical ability/presence at all. A running handball receiving defender with an average kick fits Mackie. Has been serviceable in the presence of some of the best defenders of this era after failing to make any impression down forward.

We could afford to use a T.Hunt(for example) to replace a Mackie(often plays loose so not essential), not J.Hunt. A lot of you people need to understand the roles of our players. J.Hunt key small forward defender(primarily)... Indeed Kelly can do this in spurts, but we will need him in the middle without Ablett there.

Excitement for the young players is commendable, but they won't be the difference between us winning a flag or not in 2011. Only a new structure with our senior players will achieve that.

There'll be a lot of hand wringing and vigorous debate over not much in this thread. But if you take out Ablett and insert Duncan from last year's best 22, you'll get pretty damn close to how we will line up in round 1.

Like to see D.Simpson play.

second that,l like the look of these bloke great second efforts around the ball bit like mummy miss him but these guy is the next best thing.this sub rule might not suit him but l think this would otto's last year and big Dawson can take the spot in time hopefully next year.

TBO I won't be shocked to see Mackie running out in round 1. Deserved? If he does it'll be on his popularity and reputation only. For a defender he is rubbish. And I'm talking from a defense perspective here. Not just unaccountable but weak in contests(goes to ground), no physical ability/presence at all. A running handball receiving defender with an average kick fits Mackie. Has been serviceable in the presence of some of the best defenders of this era after failing to make any impression down forward.

I don't get how a player can be around for 7-8 years and seemingly never get any stronger. The moment when he dropped a handpass from Ottens due to hearing footsteps was pathetic.

B: JHunt Scarlett Lonergan
HB: Enright Taylor Milburn
C: Wojo Kelly Varcoe
HF: SJ Podsiadly Duncan
F: Byrnes Hawkins Chapman
R: Ottens Selwood Bartel
Int: West Corey THunt Sub: Menzel/Motlop

Emg: Stokes Simpson Mackie

To me the team is self explanatory. Duncan must play and does so at the expense of Stokes, which also helps us bat deeper in the midfield.

I know some won't pick THunt after the first 2 games and he hasn't been as good as he was last year or as good as I'd like, but he's been miles better than Mackie in these first two games and I reckon they're competing for a spot.

I have my concerns about Milburn over the whole year but based on his start to this year he should be there round 1. Ditto Lonergan who was good last night.

Pods if fit otherwise Mooney. If neither is fit possibly play the three ruckmen with West as a permanent forward, or Vardy if he's ready.

Can't split Menzel or Motlop, one of them to be the sub unless Byrnes is dropped in which case they both play.

Simpson has been good but West has probably been slightly better thus far which is why he gets the spot, but I'd be happy with either. So long as one of them plays ahead of Blake.

I don't get how a player can be around for 7-8 years and seemingly never get any stronger. The moment when he dropped a handpass from Ottens due to hearing footsteps was pathetic.

Totally agree with you Partridge, I know the play you're talking about too... He does it weekly! I call it when I'm at games and people look at me like I'm an opposition supporter.. WTF?? So frustrating! Mackie has been untouchable for his whole career with the fans. Fans who have very little idea about the nuts and bolts of the game and watch the ball ONLY.

If you go and watch training you'll see the kind of guy he is... in a word, lazy. You so rarely see him blowing hard, pushing himself etc. This would obviously carry over into the weights room too. It's easy to make it look like you're working hard but the last few reps(the ones that hurt) are those that make all the difference. He's soft.

His physique wouldn't make life easy, but it's blatantly obvious he only does the bare minimum and doesn't go hard at all. A guy with his build should at least have a 'ripped' look if he's lifting weights with any urge. This would improve his contested game a LOT, size doesn't always equal strength. He has neither.

To me the team is self explanatory. Duncan must play and does so at the expense of Stokes, which also helps us bat deeper in the midfield.

I know some won't pick THunt after the first 2 games and he hasn't been as good as he was last year or as good as I'd like, but he's been miles better than Mackie in these first two games and I reckon they're competing for a spot.

I have my concerns about Milburn over the whole year but based on his start to this year he should be there round 1. Ditto Lonergan who was good last night.

Pods if fit otherwise Mooney. If neither is fit possibly play the three ruckmen with West as a permanent forward, or Vardy if he's ready.

Can't split Menzel or Motlop, one of them to be the sub unless Byrnes is dropped in which case they both play.

Simpson has been good but West has probably been slightly better thus far which is why he gets the spot, but I'd be happy with either. So long as one of them plays ahead of Blake.

That's a REALLY slow backline...

No way Motlop is ahead of Stokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way Motlop is ahead of Stokes.

Reality check required:

This young player excitement is really amusing to me to be honest. Even after they all got a football lesson by a StKilda outfit that was probably going at 70-80%. Don't you lot understand? Have some god damn respect for our senior players! They delivered a top 4 finish in 2010 comfortably.

Any player who started in our 22 in the finals of 2010 should be picked if fit... simple! These young players discussed WILL NOT MAKE OUR 2011 SEASON! If you're looking for the next Selwood of '07, stop right now... it's not going to happen I'm afraid.

Geelong has one more realistic shot at the flag... this year, that's it. These young players may compliment the team if injuries occur but if ANY of you are relying on them to deliver against the best opposition in clutch situations, you're kidding yourselves. I would have thought Saturday night showed this, but hey... maybe not.

Agree with with the comments on Mackie. If Scott does play him, there must be something we aren't seeing, because he is pathetic in every game, where he is asked to do a job on someone. Has been made to look good by the rest and it's gone to his head.

I think his clone, menzel should be groomed for his role. I think he can do everything Mackie do and do it better. Maybe not right now, but with the rest of the defence around him, i think he'll do fine. We have enough forwards when they are all fit. Pace can come from midfielders getting back to support.

Also, I'm thinking Wojo could be used as sub, is pretty versatile, has shown some good signs forward, like that goal he set up in on the boundary in rd 1. But he goes missing too much for my liking, would be good for an injection of pace and can really be used anywhere if there is an injury.

Nor put on any muscle.

Here is Mackie in Round 7, 2004 and Round 18, 2010:

66131.jpg
214311.jpg

As a previous poster has pointed out, its all good being excited about our young players, but the reality is that there will only be one or two blooded for an extended period at any given time. Otherwise we get flogged as we were on Saturday night. For those harping on about Mackie, he offers experience, good decision making, versatility (can play tall or short) and has good disposal. He will play imo. The other thing they will be looking at is pace and versatility. For that reason, Byrnes, Wojo and Stokes will all play imo, and T Hunt will be close. He hasnt helped his chances by being poop in the NAB cup, but his pace might get him over the line. I expect to see

Lonegran, Scarlett, J Hunt
Enright, Taylor, Milburn
Wojo, Selwood, Varcoe
SJ, Mooney, Chappy
Stokes, Hawkins, Byrnes
Ottens, Bartel, Kelly
Corey, Duncan, West, Sub = Menzel

There'll be a lot of hand wringing and vigorous debate over not much in this thread. But if you take out Ablett and insert Duncan from last year's best 22, you'll get pretty damn close to how we will line up in round 1.

Yep I think so.

I would think Duncan, Mackie, and a second ruck would be the only possible/likely inclusions from the losing prelim team from last year, providing the injury list is small.

FB J.Hunt Lonergan Scarlett

HB Mackie Taylor Enright

C Varcoe Ling Kelly

HF S.Johnson Chapman

FF Byrnes Hawkins Stokes

1R Ottens Bartel Selwood

INT D.Simpson Milburn Duncan
Wojcinski Menzel

My starting team for Rd 1... no idea who to put at CHF now Mooney is out.

This is my first attempt at picking the starting 22, keeping in mind that Ling, Moons & Pods won't play, so here goes.......

B: J Hunt Scarlett Lonergan
HF: SJ West Duncan
Int: Simpson Corey T Hunt

Sub: Stokes

Emerg: Mackie, Menzel, Motlop

Ok, how'd I go? Fire away.

FB J.Hunt Lonergan Scarlett

HB Mackie Taylor Enright

C Varcoe Ling Kelly

HF S.Johnson Chapman

FF Byrnes Hawkins Stokes

1R Ottens Bartel Selwood

INT D.Simpson Milburn Duncan
Wojcinski Menzel

My starting team for Rd 1... no idea who to put at CHF now Mooney is out.

If Mooney and Pods are out I would suggest a fit Vardy or West would help fill that role.

We are going to have to go in with something like this:

C: Wojcinski Kelly Varcoe
HF: Johnson West Duncan
F: Stokes Hawkins Chapman
R: Blake Selwood Bartel
Int: Mackie Corey Byrnes
Sub: Menzel/T Hunt

Given Ling, Podsiadly and Mooney unfit.

Ottens cannot play in this state, and so Blake at least for Round 1 otherwise we'll be mauled. Should give us first use of the footy from the middle.

West should play second ruck/second tall forward. Hawkins down there too.

Stokes clearly needed as we are going to have to kick some goals to win.

We are going to have to go in with something like this:

C: Wojcinski Kelly Varcoe
HF: Johnson West Duncan
F: Stokes Hawkins Chapman
R: Blake Selwood Bartel
Int: Mackie Corey Byrnes
Sub: Menzel/T Hunt

Given Ling, Podsiadly and Mooney unfit.

Ottens cannot play in this state, and so Blake at least for Round 1 otherwise we'll be mauled. Should give us first use of the footy from the middle.

West should play second ruck/second tall forward. Hawkins down there too.

Stokes clearly needed as we are going to have to kick some goals to win.

Could we go short term Lonergan FF, Hawkins CHF,still got Mackie or Corey that could go back plus others, agree on Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back