Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues - 31-60

• Blues - 61+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be a close game,I'd hope and expect we would be able to get across the line by a couple of goals. As Sampler says, much depends on whether Simmonds gets back, but even so, I'd still be confident of a win.
I should clarify, it's only the margin that depends on whether Simmonds returns. I'll be tipping the Blues.

I'm expecting a win, probably a close one too.

They will have to give a strong showing after the pre-season win, just look at 2005. After the Wiz Cup win we were flat, didn't look determined enough and never mentally in the game. The Michael Tuck medallist was well held and had very little impact. This was vs the Roos, most people tipped us and for Fevola to tear them apart.

And it looks like the same is being predicted now, which worries me.

I'm sure the players will want to put the pre-season behind them and focus. Many of the players would want to atone from a couple of years back, to show that the cup/spoon double will not happen. The pressure between pre-season and H&A is obvious - will the kids be able to handle it enough to steady?

Both teams have reasonably young sides, both have key forwards that can do a lot of damage. I could use Sentanta's form on Richo, and ours for that matter but that's thrown out of the window. The midfield battle in particular looks very interesting - and that's where it will be won.

The big problem for Richmond is the Fev match-up. Do they have anyone big enough and fast enough to contain him? Gasper might be an option - but I remember what happened last time they matched up. Whitnall I'm sure they can contain, but Fisher is another story. He's a good mark and he's not really seen as a danger man. Could be the X factor bobbing up and kicking a few - if Richmond want a convincing win they have to pay attention to him, as he likes to fly under the radar.

I reckon our midfield looks better, our defense seems settled enough to take on their guns and the forward line is looking good. Problem will be in the ruck mostly, but I'm hoping the midfield can cover that.

Predicting Carlton by 18 points without much confidence.

agreed thawn .... midfield is where it will be won. Richmond have Richo, Brown, Simmonds, Schulz, Pettifer, Krakouer and rotation of Deledio, Tambling, Pat Bowden and Pattison through the forward 50 (thats wat ive gathered through pre season)

Whereas Blues have Fev, Whitnall, Fisher, Betts, possibly Waite, Kennedy and others rotating through.

From those lists i reckon tiges r still more potent in terms of match winners, however, blues win it outa the guts and all hell will break loose for punt road boys.

....watch for Nathan Brown....he looks as good as ever this pre season kicking a few bags...no player in the comp can go with this guy at full flight....with a point to prove ...remains a serious threat to the blues in this game.

....watch for Nathan Brown....he looks as good as ever this pre season kicking a few bags...no player in the comp can go with this guy at full flight....with a point to prove ...remains a serious threat to the blues in this game.

It's interesting to note that over the past few years, it has been the quick roving forwards who have killed us more than the big lumbering types.

Guys like Medhurst, Milne, Davis, Chapman, Ablett Jnr - they're the ones who have really hurt us. So yeah, N. Brown is a huge worry for us. I don't think we have a suitable matchup for him, but being so long out of the game, I odn't really expect him to be firing. But a few quick goals always kills you.

but being so long out of the game, I odn't really expect him to be firing. But a few quick goals always kills you.
Don't you worry, he is absolutly fit and firing and kicking 4 goals against James Clement last week is just going to skyrocket his confidence.

I'm very confident in a Blues win. As fascinating as it would be for history to repeat itself, there are massive differences between this year and 2005. Literally half the team has been replaced. Where there were "rejects", we now have high draft picks. Make no mistake, this Carlton team is much better than last years.

I don't know if the Tigers will be the ones to stop the rampaging Blues. There's a lot of wind in the Blues sails atm, and I don't think Richmond are good enough to reverse it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could say the same for Fevola.

But look what happened in 2005. :(
Yeah but the difference between Fev and Browny is that Browny gets his goals fairly and not by diving to the ground and looking at the umpires demanding free kicks.

I'm very confident in a Blues win. As fascinating as it would be for history to repeat itself, there are massive differences between this year and 2005. Literally half the team has been replaced. Where there were "rejects", we now have high draft picks. Make no mistake, this Carlton team is much better than last years.

I don't know if the Tigers will be the ones to stop the rampaging Blues. There's a lot of wind in the Blues sails atm, and I don't think Richmond are good enough to reverse it.

Rampaging. They were the only team to play a full strength side. Except North Melbourne...

Interesting read for sure. :thumbsu:

Apart from 1 or 2 points the majority seem to think it's a lot about momentum.

Should be a great game. Too rivals on the rise...

Initially I thought it was going to be a closer game, but after reviewing the Tiges list, I think the Tiges will really struggle. I've flagged about 9-10 players on the Tiges list as having a "make or break year" i.e. probably end of season delistings. The tragedy of course, is that you'll have to go through the 2007 season with that dead-wood on your list. This game will be solely determined by how well the young Blues lineup play. If they play well, and gather some nice momentum, there will be mismatches all over the place, and a comfortable Carlton 60+ point victory is likely. The Tiges do however, have a history of playing above themselves V Blues, and especially with Kent Kingsley and Hall out, the margin could be a lot closer. Will be interesting to see if our young side goes against the older more experienced Tiges lineup. 2007 is obviously a development year for the Blues, and I'm expecting a lot of ups and downs as this talented young side develop and find their way. :)

Depends on whether Simmo returns in time, as Carlton's ruck division is pretty thin.
Ha Ha Ha Ha LOL........... I'm sure it hurts to see him doing more in 4 pre-season games than his whole career at the Pies.........;)

Simmo will be majorly underdone.

Blues by 3+goals.

It's interesting to note that over the past few years, it has been the quick roving forwards who have killed us more than the big lumbering types.

Guys like Medhurst, Milne, Davis, Chapman, Ablett Jnr - they're the ones who have really hurt us. So yeah, N. Brown is a huge worry for us. I don't think we have a suitable matchup for him, but being so long out of the game, I odn't really expect him to be firing. But a few quick goals always kills you.

Would agree with that.....in the past. But our smaller defenders are much, much better than they have ever been.
Walker's job on Robbo, Russell's job on Power (has killed us in the past).
I grow less concerned about our defence every day.

Simmonds never played for the Pies. You're on crack.

Umm...........yes you're right, sadly for you, I was actually referring to your comment about the Blues ruck division being thin........if you couldn't make the leap from there to Cam Cloke's form (given that the Pies are you're listed club), I'm very sorry for you.:eek:

Should be a great match, not underestimating the Tigers who have lots of talent.

I think we know what the Blues will bring to the game by the way of 4 consistent performances in NAB cup ( although against average opposition ).

For me the Tigers could bring anything from excellent to dreadful.

I'm hoping we'll have the class edge in the midfield with Murphy,Stevens who have been playing fantastic.

Massive game for both sides

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1: Tigers vs Blues

Back