Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of thoughts for those criticising Lyon.

1. As bad as we look right now, the first 10 rounds of Lyon's 2nd season have still been better than the first 10 rounds of Ratten's 2nd season.

2. Remember the last time Freo came to Marvel under Ratten? Saints got obliterated in the 2nd half. Worse than tonight.
I think we all accept Ross is a far superior coach to Ratts.

If our criteria we judge Ross on is ratten then we are already fcuked.

Right now Ross ain't getting results and he certainly ain't getting any kind of development out of what's available to him.

We are far better than this.

To me Marshall is our best player - 31 disposals , 38 hit outs , 9 tackles is huge
Ross has to totally look at his game plan and attempt to adjust it for a team that hasn't got a midfield - we all know our midfield sucks and now with Steele cooked the cupboard is bare , the only mid we have now is Crouch and who knows if he will get back to his best.

This is so sad , something has jinxed us - Basset bringing Lyon back looks the worst move the club has made for many years - low scoring , messy football will not bring out the supporters

Having a discussion with my uncle who was at the game. I floated the thought that perhaps Battle is out the door? Saints view it as if the contract is good enough ie a McKay type compo pick and we finish low enough that we nab 2 top 10 picks.
Not saying I'd want to see Battle leave but i could definitely see Saints powerbrokers think they were being 'smart'. Like we were 'smart' with BJ and Dal.

You can’t coach for “effort” any more in the modern AFL.

Teams are too effective at pressing.

You need to coach ball movement and skills under pressure constantly.

Ross Lyon’s style was already obsolete at the tail end of his Freo tenure.

It is even more obsolete now.

The game has moved far beyond Ross Lyon.

The “skills” you are watching on show every week prove it.

We made finals last year only because we played such an extremely defensive style early on and banked wins when the comp couldn’t work out how to stop our counter-attack. It was a dead-cat bounce.

The re-hiring of Ross was a massive mistake. The sooner the board own it, the better.

If not, it will continue to get ugly.

Unfortunately the board has gone all in with Ross.

What will happen next is Ross will throw the list under the bus and get time for a full re-build.

What choice do the board have? They have stupidly done everything he said so far so they’ll just have to keep going along with it as they won’t feel they have a choice.

This would be a massive mistake. He is simply not capable of coaching or developing a modern attacking team.

Without a hint of hyperbole, if we keep playing like this and give Ross Lyon the keys to a rebuild, I think the club we all love will fold.

No one will turn up to watch the shit he’s putting out as a coach.

Coach for skill and decision making under pressure.

Effort is a given.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was Steele's leadership. Top effort.
Bloke does my head in. Looks like he's continually unhappy to even be there.

Continually whinges in the media about Ross but always in an indirect way. Where he compliments him but off the back of a whinge.

Whinged under ratten.

I think we all accept Ross is a far superior coach to Ratts.

If our criteria we judge Ross on is ratten then we are already fcuked.

Right now Ross ain't getting results and he certainly ain't getting any kind of development out of what's available to him.

We are far better than this.

Our list look like a cat spewed on page. No balance, no obvious structure. I can't even see a plan. Until we get a few quality mids we are going nowhere. Draft one pay Brayshaw or LDU what ever they want. Find a few cheapies to add depth.

Having a discussion with my uncle who was at the game. I floated the thought that perhaps Battle is out the door? Saints view it as if the contract is good enough ie a McKay type compo pick and we finish low enough that we nab 2 top 10 picks.
Not saying I'd want to see Battle leave but i could definitely see Saints powerbrokers think they were being 'smart'. Like we were 'smart' with BJ and Dal.
No chance you’re getting a first round compo for Battle.

has pou ever played a game of footy in his life, or are our coaches crushing his natural ability? Can't find the thing to save himself, needs a serious circuit breaker. Half back flank, a month in the mids at sandy, something, needs the freedom to get his hands on the pill. Right now we're looking at a serious bust for pick 8, the latest in a long line of first round busts
He only played well in the 2nd half of that Vfl game. Yeah he needs a good run in the midfield in the two's.

Our list look like a cat spewed on page. No balance, no obvious structure. I can't even see a plan. Until we get a few quality mids we are going nowhere. Draft one pay Brayshaw or LDU what ever they want. Find a few cheapies to add depth.
I agree but why would LDU come to the saints. Every club would want him.

I'd rather 600k vs 1m and go to the pies and actually enjoy my job. You'd know they'd look after you post football too.

Can’t fault the effort of King - was up for it tonight & I think we tried to move the ball quickly & score.

We are just not very good - Freo should have won by 40 if they kicked straight.

I still think we have a great coach but little to work with. Not sure where we go from here.

PS I thought play Collard - dynamic & knows where the goals are notwithstanding he is not physically ready- I was wrong!

Last edited:
Ads734 Following the Brad Hill trade Freo traded up in a trade with Melbourne. Serong was that pick #8

St Kilda's original pick was used by Melbourne to select Kosi Pickett #12

Wrong, StKilda originally had pick 6 , which could have landed Serong.
6 was traded for 12 and 18, then we got pick 10 back after we traded 12 and 18 for Howard and Ryder.

Looked OK in the first half, haven't seen the second fortunately, sounds like the forward line stayed in the rooms though. Season done, play the kids at all costs I'd say (but don't play favourites) and actually give them TOG id suggest.

Start making tough list decisions on all of our dumb footballers and the midfield/forward line.

#eco and out.

Could be time fir the team to go away to someone’s farm and have a few beers around a campfire and have a heart to heart . …. Oh that’s right , that would be banned these days .
Burning wood would harm the environment.
Drinking beer causes brain damage
Spending a whole night away would not be approved by the aflpa as overtime would need to be paid
And there might be no Wi-Fi so the players wouldn’t be able to post it .

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 10, 2024: St.Kilda v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back