Autopsy Round 15 vs Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval, Sunday 26th June, 4:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

what did ballard do?

Put his elbow into a player’s head from behind when trying to spoil. Didn’t look great on a replay. I’m not sure it is suspension worthy as, to my understanding, the player got up and played on. Guess we’ll see.
It didn't look great live which is why I put the question mark next to suspension

Could see him getting a week for that, Also could see him getting a fine.

Really don't need to lose another defender

Quite important I would say. Win this and we are right in the mix.
Win this and it's almost guaranteed that we'll enter the top 8. We're currently one win behind Richmond (6th), Sydney (7th), St Kilda (8th) and Collingwood (9th). The Tigers (117.8%) play Geelong (4th) which will probably be a win for the Cats if we're to assume the ladder is a good indicator of what will happen. Then we have the Swans (115.1%) and Saints (113.3%) playing each other so one of them is going to lose. Lastly, we have the Magpies (105.4%) playing GWS (13th) which probably results in a Collingwood win.

We currently have a percentage of 111.6% and before the Crows match we had a percentage of 108.0%. So 3.6% gained from a 43 point win. That's enough to get us ahead of both Sydney and the Saints based on their current percentages so to finish the round ahead of the loser of that fixture we just need the equivalent of a 43 point swing both ways (e.g. we beat Port by 21 points and St Kilda beat Sydney by 22 points). That guarantees us 9th position on the ladder but the difficult part is probably going to be jumping ahead of Richmond because they're 6.2% ahead of us right now and that's going to take an accumulative 60 point swing. Having said that, if Collingwood lose to GWS then that will be enough to get us into the top 8 due to the fact that our percentage is 6.2% ahead of theirs.

So there you go. A top 8 position is up for grabs if we can take down Port Adelaide and enough of a percentage swing goes in our favour but we should at least be equal with 8th and only behind them by a few percentage points which is a good position to be in at the conclusion of round 15.

But first things first. Let's just get the win over Port.

Geez we’ve lost some drive in the last few weeks with Weller, Powell and Buddhas out. Also these three would be in our top 5 kicks, along with Luko (also still out) and Ranks. This is where I think we need to blood Elijah as he’s a very good kick.
If we get up in this one, It will be huge. Just not confident at all given our growing injury list and the drive we’ve lost out of the backline.

I hope Farrar and Markov can get more involved with some line-breaks in their running. We really did not have that yesterday, which we normally do.

One thing I will say, we need our inclusions to have some real speed: probably a Sharp or Atkins have to come in. Bowes, Davies etc. are just too slow (when combined with Rowell, Anderson, Swallow, Flanders etc.) so we can’t add even more of their type to replace Powell and Budarick.

I hope Farrar and Markov can get more involved with some line-breaks in their running. We really did not have that yesterday, which we normally do.

One thing I will say, we need our inclusions to have some real speed: probably a Sharp or Atkins have to come in. Bowes, Davies etc. are just too slow (when combined with Rowell, Anderson, Swallow, Flanders etc.) so we can’t add even more of their type to replace Powell and Budarick.
I think I understand the Alex Davies inclusion but I'm not sure the results warrant it at this stage
He is certainly a very different player
Maybe the best I can compare with is Jack Silvagni
But he is too slow for a true midfielder and not quite big enough for a defensive position
He is an old fashioned ruck rover in the Barassi Tim Watson mould
Not as quick as Pendlebury or Fyfe
I wonder what they are hoping for
We need a pace injection off half back for sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Davies is quite agile.
Might be more burst than sustained speed at the moment.
Extra pre-seasons will help that.
I think I understand the Alex Davies inclusion but I'm not sure the results warrant it at this stage
He is certainly a very different player
Maybe the best I can compare with is Jack Silvagni
But he is too slow for a true midfielder and not quite big enough for a defensive position
He is an old fashioned ruck rover in the Barassi Tim Watson mould
Not as quick as Pendlebury or Fyfe
I wonder what they are hoping for
We need a pace injection off half back for sure

If we left Rowell in all year last year to develop, may aswell do the same for Davies now as we all know Swallow is on the way out, Fiorini & Constable aren't what we need and Hollands has taken the wing role in the VFL.

Davies is still super clean and a neat ball user, he does look slow but he is 192cm which is the modern midfield type. Every team has a young midfielder that is playing half forward/midfield mix right now, eg. James Jordon, Tom Sparrow, Archie Perkins, Tanner Bruhn, Tom Green etc

Yes still needs to get more involved, he's been on limited game time most of the year. Most Time on ground he's had was 74% against GWS

We're not winning the premiership this year and you can see a tall, agile ball winner who can mark above his head, kick a goal and pinch hit in the ruck around the ground being a valuable part of a premiership team.

He's not as good as some guys in the 2's but I'm not that upset with him getting games.

We're not winning the premiership this year and you can see a tall, agile ball winner who can mark above his head, kick a goal and pinch hit in the ruck around the ground being a valuable part of a premiership team.

He's not as good as some guys in the 2's but I'm not that upset with him getting games.

Yeah with you mate, I would like to see Hollands though for a few weeks instead.

Hard to argue when we are winning too

Are we thinking we play bowes back now? I would like to see him given a go at the original plan as mid /fwd. Back 7 of Collins, ballard, Thompson/Graham, farrar, Budarick, markov, lemmens. I guess he may be required while Budarick is out. I would be happy to play luko back there when he is fit, his kicking from the back half with our new attacking plan could be a real weapon.

Are we thinking we play bowes back now? I would like to see him given a go at the original plan as mid /fwd. Back 7 of Collins, ballard, Thompson/Graham, farrar, Budarick, markov, lemmens. I guess he may be required while Budarick is out. I would be happy to play luko back there when he is fit, his kicking from the back half with our new attacking plan could be a real weapon.
Collins/Ballard/Thompson

Lemmens - Lockdown
Farrar - Rebounder/Interceptor
Markov - Rebounder/Speed
Bowes - General Defender

Markov/Atkins could either be wing/Half back wouldn't really matter, to replace Powell.

For this game I'd go something like..
Lemmens Collins Thompson
Bowes ballard markov
Ellis Anderson hollands
Rankine chol ainsworth
Holman casboult Jeffery
Witts Rowell miller
Swallow rosas farrar Davies
Sub- atkins

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 15 vs Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval, Sunday 26th June, 4:10pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back