Game Day Round 12 - Essendon @ PF Stadium - 2nd June 2024 - 4:00pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

bef2b070f4a9d7d909810dbbdbf7a8eb.jpg

Dadgum!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wowee! What a thrilling win that was!!

Every time they challenged us late in the game, we had an answer for them. We consistently stood up to the 2nd placed team in a tight contest and that's something we should all be very proud of. It feels like optimism is at an all-time high and for good reason after beating 2 of the top 3 teams over the last 3 weeks. Now we just need to cap it off with a win against the Saints at Marvel next week and put to bed the narrative that we can't win on the road.

I must say I'm turning into a big Ben Long fan - he has been so good as of late and is a big part of the reason we're in the top 8. Can't wait to see what the two Darwin boys can do when Long and Rosas combine as our deadly small forward combo. Ben King is once again the equal leader in the Coleman Medal and Mac Andrew - what can't he do!?!? Special shoutout to any Suns supporter that showed up and made a noticeable amount of noise at the game today. That's exactly what we need going forward to really turn our stadium (the ring of fire?) into a fortress.

Really pleasing win. Well done to all involved :thumbsu:

Anyone who wants to complain about the shipping of games to Darwin -

This is your opportunity to show the **** up.

Pretty simple
And show up they did! 21,759 in a twilight Sunday slot is an unreal crowd against a team that we've previously never pulled more than 17k. Have we arrived in terms of pulling big crowds?

Also, this happened in today's presser...

1ERpSVX.jpg

Walter's near run down chase on Hind (a known speedster) late in the fourth quarter was crazy to watch live! He's so deceivingly quick. Jed is going to have a breakout game soon. I can feel it.

Wowee! What a thrilling win that was!!

Every time they challenged us late in the game, we had an answer for them. We consistently stood up to the 2nd placed team in a tight contest and that's something we should all be very proud of. It feels like optimism is at an all-time high and for good reason after beating 2 of the top 3 teams over the last 3 weeks. Now we just need to cap it off with a win against the Saints at Marvel next week and put to bed the narrative that we can't win on the road.

I must say I'm turning into a big Ben Long fan - he has been so good as of late and is a big part of the reason we're in the top 8. Can't wait to see what the two Darwin boys can do when Long and Rosas combine as our deadly small forward combo. Ben King is once again the equal leader in the Coleman Medal and Mac Andrew - what can't he do!?!? Special shoutout to any Suns supporter that showed up and made a noticeable amount of noise at the game today. That's exactly what we need going forward to really turn our stadium (the ring of fire?) into a fortress.

Really pleasing win. Well done to all involved :thumbsu:

And show up they did! 21,759 in a twilight Sunday slot is an unreal crowd against a team that we've previously never pulled more than 17k. Have we arrived in terms of pulling big crowds?

Also, this happened in today's presser...

1ERpSVX.jpg

Walter's near run down chase on Hind (a known speedster) late in the fourth quarter was crazy to watch live! He's so deceivingly quick. Jed is going to have a breakout game soon. I can feel it.
Attendance was good! Noise level and atmosphere is really on the rise. Lots of banter between supporters in my area—maybe a close game helped keep the atmosphere high too.

But remember we had free members extra tickets though. Club should do that more often, too. Might guarantee an extra couple of thousand, which they can cash in on at food and drinks anyway.

Finally got to watch the game this morning, glad I knew the result before I did. Lots to be frustrated about and lots to like in equal measure. To me there is a little doubt for the team is improving, we just aren’t a finished product, in fact I would suggest we about 65% finished. If we ever get it right, world look out.

Dimma's Vlaustin clone - he can spot 'em. Will Graham another one - just never stops hitting in.
Great to see Will’s speed put to use offensively when he burned off a couple of opponents to help set up a goal. As he learns to use that burst power more he is going to be another real weapon for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they really trying to make ring of fire our version of never tear us apart?

10 points for initiative but was pretty cringe song to pump the place up

Just saw Jonathan Thurston walking into the rooms with a Suns scarf

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app

With so many entrepreneurs,sports stars actors and influencers on the Gold Coast it was good to see the club getting a few there to games. Yesterday there was Matt Bevilacqua iron man was there Angie and Alli Simpson (Cody Simpson mum & sister) who also done guard of honor and cousin iron man Ryley Harland, fitness influencer Tammy Hembrow with her kids and her partner Matt Zukowski from love island. These people have millions of social media followers great advertising to a different audience

Coaches votes

Gold Coast v Essendon​

9 Matt Rowell (GCFC)
8 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
6 Sam Collins (GCFC)
3 Mac Andrew (GCFC)
2 Nicholas Hind (ESS)
1 Touk Miller (GCFC)
1 Zach Merrett (ESS)

LEADERBOARD​

71 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
67 Nick Daicos (COLL)
59 Caleb Serong (FRE)
53 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
51 Zach Merrett (ESS)
49 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
48 Chad Warner (SYD)
46 Max Gawn (MELB)
46 Sam Walsh (CARL)
45 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
45 Matt Rowell (GCFC)

I realise we are always badly outnumbered when we play those big precious VFL clubs but last night from my perspective it didn’t seem that bad.
The ratio to my eyes is improving?
Thoughts?
Definitely. Heaps of my neutral mates are now coming decked out in Suns gear. Will explode when we sustain success.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great to see Will’s speed put to use offensively when he burned off a couple of opponents to help set up a goal. As he learns to use that burst power more he is going to be another real weapon for us.
Do you think he could play wing? Man Fiorini was bad. Wonder if Weller gets that role next year, as the defence is starting to look more settled with Andrew and Uwland improving rapidly.

I realise we are always badly outnumbered when we play those big precious VFL clubs but last night from my perspective it didn’t seem that bad.
The ratio to my eyes is improving?
Thoughts?
Definitely on the up. Considering we get 12-14k normally, makes sense that a big VIC club would bring a huge crowd.

To combat that, the extra free ticket to GCS members probably helped add more balance. So plenty of GC supporters. And it’s easier to get the crowd involved when we kick goals and actually try, so the noise going both ways was unreal.

Definitely on the up. Considering we get 12-14k normally, makes sense that a big VIC club would bring a huge crowd.

To combat that, the extra free ticket to GCS members probably helped add more balance. So plenty of GC supporters. And it’s easier to get the crowd involved when we kick goals and actually try, so the noise going both ways was unreal.
I was genuinely surprised by the amount of noise our fans were making yesterday. It sounded close to 50/50 at times and that's something we've never really had against a big Victorian team. IMO it made a big difference in terms of the umpiring calls we were able to get and it reminded me of the Demons game a few years back where the same thing was happening and the Melbourne players looked really put off.

I'm certain our players fed off the energy we were producing from the noise and it really feels like we're just scratching the surface of what a genuine home ground advantage looks like. I don't mind the extra free ticket deal for members, especially if it means more crowds like that! Hopefully a similar result in the upcoming Collingwood game.

I was genuinely surprised by the amount of noise our fans were making yesterday. It sounded close to 50/50 at times and that's something we've never really had against a big Victorian team. IMO it made a big difference in terms of the umpiring calls we were able to get and it reminded me of the Demons game a few years back where the same thing was happening and the Melbourne players looked really put off.

I'm certain our players fed off the energy we were producing from the noise and it really feels like we're just scratching the surface of what a genuine home ground advantage looks like. I don't mind the extra free ticket deal for members, especially if it means more crowds like that! Hopefully a similar result in the upcoming Collingwood game.
It did feel like 50:50. North, East Essendon fans. South, West Suns fans. Great atmosphere. Better than I expected.

It did feel like 50:50. North, East Essendon fans. South, West Suns fans. Great atmosphere. Better than I expected.
The wave of noise coming from the non-interchange wing any time the Bombers got running down that sign was pretty intimidating.

But it felt like a proper big time game of footy. Just need to start slowly getting that ratio in our favour that when we're running with it we've got the tidal wave of noise.

Finally caught the replay and first of all, f*ck me Essendon fans are precious complaining that the umpires cost them the win. Should be thanking the umps it was even as close as it was.

Wasn’t a fantastic performance and a good side would’ve put us away with ease, but it is clear now that the building blocks are being put in place. Some of our passages by handball from halfback are Orange Tsunami-esque with the swarm of players running through. Looks fantastic, but is countered by some passages that are a bit sh*t house.

Most exciting though I think is the growth of the young players coming in filling roles and actually contributing to winning football already instead of being bit part players.
  • Andrew - a genuine star already and probably top 5 most important players.
  • Uwland - could well finally be out lockdown defender.
  • Humphrey - another ‘almost’ game, but he is so dangerous when he gets the ball forward of centre and creates space.
  • Walter - needs to start hitting the score board, but he will have a place in the team for as long as he keeps flying into contests and running down blokes half his size. Real morale lifting player.
Plus Clohesy, Graham, Jeffrey, Moyle, etc.
Makes you realise just how young the team is still, but I am confident that we’ve got our guys coming in knowing exactly what their role is and being built up to execute.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back