Preview Round 16 2023 – Melbourne Demons vs GWS Giants, Sunday, July 2, 3.20pm AEST, TIO Traegar Park, NT

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
All right everyone. Have we got over the euphoria of the Orange Tsunami win against the Dockers?

If not, next Sunday afternoon in the Red Centre might be just the tonic, as I believe this is our first trip to play in the Northern Territory. For a bit of perspective, those out-of-form Demons have been playing there since 2014, winning four and losing four.

We got smacked by the Dees at the MCG last year to the tune of eleven goals. That was in Round 5 and there’s been a lot of water under the Todd River bridge since then.

Getting Taylor and Kelly back from injury undoubtedly helped against Freo, but there was more to it than that. The group looks to have settled into the new game plan. Kingsley always thought it would take about a dozen or so rounds before that happened, and it seems to be true. But having Kieren Briggs start performing like one of the finds of the season might also have something to do with it. We’ve now got a bit of mobility in the ruck that hasn’t been there since the Mummy era.

So, what might happen on our trip to Alice Springs? Whitfield is out, which is unfortunate, because he seems to have rediscovered some of his old touch recently. The good news is we might have Binga Daniels, Hogan and Haynes back, which will help cover for him.

Daniels would be very handy indeed because he’s quick. If all three are available we could drop Keeffe. And I reckon Bedford will want to score a goal or two against his old side.

This is what I think the line-up will be:

FB Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun
HB Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Nick Haynes
C Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Finn Callaghan
HF Daniel Lloyd, Jake Riccardi, Toby Greene
FF Xavier O'Halloran, Jessie Hogan, Toby Bedford
FOL Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio
IC Aaron Cadman, Brent Daniels, Callan Ward, Callum M. Brown

In: Daniels, Hogan
Out: Whitfield, Keeffe

I favour keeping Brown in the team because he adds some speed up forward. Speed has a way of catching opponents flat-footed and Melbourne have been flat for the past couple of outings. I hope we can take advantage of it. If Haynes isn’t fit, Isaac Cumming or Jacob Wehr could replace him.

The bookies have us at very long odds for this game, which is fair enough because we haven’t taken a big scalp just yet. A few weeks ago, I thought we weren’t a finals side, but at 6-8 we’re still in the hunt. It’s getting to the stage where every game is like a de-facto elimination final. That kind of pressure can work in your favour if you’re hungry enough.

The wildcard is the bye. Over the past decade, our record after the mid-season break has been three wins, nine losses. Yes, we won last year, but that was against North. We’d really be causing an upset to knock off Melbourne at a venue we’ve never been to. But then, Fremantle beat them at home a few weeks ago…

I might see if I’ve got a spare couple of hundred dollars lying around somewhere.

All right everyone. Have we got over the euphoria of the Orange Tsunami win against the Dockers?

If not, next Sunday afternoon in the Red Centre might be just the tonic, as I believe this is our first trip to play in the Northern Territory. For a bit of perspective, those out-of-form Demons have been playing there since 2014, winning four and losing four.

We got smacked by the Dees at the MCG last year to the tune of eleven goals. That was in Round 5 and there’s been a lot of water under the Todd River bridge since then.

Getting Taylor and Kelly back from injury undoubtedly helped against Freo, but there was more to it than that. The group looks to have settled into the new game plan. Kingsley always thought it would take about a dozen or so rounds before that happened, and it seems to be true. But having Kieren Briggs start performing like one of the finds of the season might also have something to do with it. We’ve now got a bit of mobility in the ruck that hasn’t been there since the Mummy era.

So, what might happen on our trip to Alice Springs? Whitfield is out, which is unfortunate, because he seems to have rediscovered some of his old touch recently. The good news is we might have Binga Daniels, Hogan and Haynes back, which will help cover for him.

Daniels would be very handy indeed because he’s quick. If all three are available we could drop Keeffe. And I reckon Bedford will want to score a goal or two against his old side.

This is what I think the line-up will be:

FB Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun
HB Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Nick Haynes
C Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Finn Callaghan
HF Daniel Lloyd, Jake Riccardi, Toby Greene
FF Xavier O'Halloran, Jessie Hogan, Toby Bedford
FOL Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio
IC Aaron Cadman, Brent Daniels, Callan Ward, Callum M. Brown

In: Daniels, Hogan
Out: Whitfield, Keeffe

I favour keeping Brown in the team because he adds some speed up forward. Speed has a way of catching opponents flat-footed and Melbourne have been flat for the past couple of outings. I hope we can take advantage of it. If Haynes isn’t fit, Isaac Cumming or Jacob Wehr could replace him.

The bookies have us at very long odds for this game, which is fair enough because we haven’t taken a big scalp just yet. A few weeks ago, I thought we weren’t a finals side, but at 6-8 we’re still in the hunt. It’s getting to the stage where every game is like a de-facto elimination final. That kind of pressure can work in your favour if you’re hungry enough.

The wildcard is the bye. Over the past decade, our record after the mid-season break has been three wins, nine losses. Yes, we won last year, but that was against North. We’d really be causing an upset to knock off Melbourne at a venue we’ve never been to. But then, Fremantle beat them at home a few weeks ago…

I might see if I’ve got a spare couple of hundred dollars lying around somewhere.
Nothing personal against him, but we can't be playing Cadman until next season, unless he can play well in the VFL at least.

We would appear to have pretty good availability of players, the best for a while - even accounting for Whitfield being suspended. It will be interesting to see how the match committee goes.

But, speed baby, that's what we need. I'd probably get Cumming back in too. Like others, I'd be happy to sit Cadman down; indeed happy (with HH back) to have a 2-KPF forward line (Jesse & Jake) and let the medium/smalls take over. Might even take Lever and May out of the way a touch.

If we can play the gamestyle that we did against Freo, you never know what might happen. Demons definitely don't have a mortgage on winning in Alice Springs, but we will need to fix our post-bye malaise.

Someone ban him, tipping Melbourne like that!
Bookies have them massive favourites. They weren’t great against the cats.

Champion data had us as 2nd beat side last week in the comp (and we played as such) and we get cunning, daniels, hogan and only Whitfield out. They might get Oliver back (?).

Bookies have them massive favourites. They weren’t great against the cats.

Champion data had us as 2nd beat side last week in the comp (and we played as such) and we get cunning, daniels, hogan and only Whitfield out. They might get Oliver back (?).
Dees carved up by the cats backs who ran it out with ease …. We get our running game going and a definite chance

Whilst I am normally very optimistic about our team, it’s going to be hard against a Melbourne side that’s going to be looking to bounce back after the Geelong loss on Thursday. Whilst it’s good that this is not at the MCG, we have never played in Alice and Melbourne have been involved in all 8 AFL matches played there. We are $3.47 outsiders to win (Melbourne is currently $1.31), and this as well as our game against Port (in Adelaide) are probably going to be our two hardest games to win for the reminder of our season

The only 2 teams to win coming off the bye, beat teams also coming off the bye.

our record coming off the bye in previous seasons has not been good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Kingers coaches down on the boundary, we’re a chance!
4/5 W/L big difference when he came down during the 1st round win bs Adelaide (Richmond the only game we missed).
Seems to get the best out of the players and pressure is best when he’s down there.

Go for speed baby! The Bingas back!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oliver out is a massive loss. Their midfield looks nowhere near as potent in the last month of footy.

Big win for us.

The other big win is the venue. Packing in 40k at the G would have been a huge advantage for melb.
Agreed. Oliver out is a huge loss for them. They still strangle teams but our scoring has been much improved. I honestly think it's a 50/50 game.
If we come out and win this one it's gonna be huge for our confidence in the second half of the year.
No club in this league is keen for the Giants to get up and going again, they know how much talent we have and with a new system/coach we pose much more of a threat to those top teams

No Daniels so I’d say just the 2 changes this week and both are straight swaps.

Cumming for whitfield
Hogan for Cadman

Injury news for today:

Hogan and Haynes ready to return for firsts.
Davis to return via the VFL.

Hogan in for Cadman.
Cumming for Whitfield.

Keefe to start on the bench, Hogan to take his place in the starting line up.

Is this the shortest injury list in GWS history????

Injury List – June 28

Brent DanielsHamstring1-2 weeks
Braydon PreussBackTBC
Cooper HamiltonFootTBC
Darcy JonesKneeSeason
Adam KennedyKneeSeason

Last edited:
Injury news for today:

Hogan and Haynes ready to return for firsts.
Davis to return via the VFL.

Hogan in for Cadman.
Cumming for Whitfield.

Keefe to start on the bench, Hogan to take his place in the starting line up.

Is this the shortest injury list in GWS history????

Injury List – June 28

Brent DanielsHamstring1-2 weeks
Braydon PreussBackTBC
Cooper HamiltonFootTBC
Darcy JonesKneeSeason
Adam KennedyKneeSeason
disapointing no Daniels. He would have been a huge in.

Hopefully just being cautous.

He is the only player Id have in out best 22 that is unavailable. (Although Preuss and Kenners would be very close and in some peoples view in our best 22)

• Shortest injury list in history! It’s a miracle!!!
  • Big loss Daniels not coming back in, he’s in our top 5 mot important players this season. Damn those hamstrings
  • Likely our best 22 excluding Daniels!
  • Bring the intense pressure and we are a chance.
  • This ground is a much better advantage for us vs the MCG where we have always struggled.
  • Will be very cold conditions with forecast of between 6-10 degrees for the game time and rain!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Key elements to a win:
  • Every player committing to “stepping in” for four quarters.
  • Going forward all game in attack… run and overlap.
  • Hitting up the short lead instead of bombing it to lever/May.
  • Helping out in defence to cover Gawns strong marking.
  • Not letting their smalls get out the back for easy goals.

I continue to be impressed by Adam Kingsley in how he approaches things, and what he says.

Off a 70-point thrashing of Fremantle - comfortably their biggest win of the campaign - Kingsley admitted battling the fourth-ranked Demons would be a different task altogether. "We're playing well, the key stats we track are going our way particularly over the last month," he said.
"But Melbourne are a different team, they're obviously a top three or four team at the moment, stars across the field, really strong defensively. It's a great challenge, I really look forward to the game to just give us a bit of a measure of who we actually are."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back