Preview Round 17, 2023: St.Kilda v Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 8th July, 7:25PM AEST *STEELE 150TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 19 36.5%
  • Demons

Votes: 33 63.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neitz broke the record for most goals from outside 50m in a game at that point in time (not sure if broken since) although stats only went back to the 90s. Something like 6 or 7 of his goals were from outside 50m. He literally couldn't miss if he marked it 60m out. Probably the only time anyone truly gave Maxie a bath that I can recall.

We lost by 13 points and if Neitz had kicked with anything like the expected accuracy from 60m out, we would have won the game.
Neitz was a gutless sniping turd who loved nothing more than picking off a much smaller opponent with an elbow.

Last edited:
If he said our midfield is underperforming a fair way then I would absolutely agree. But saying we have the 3 worst in the league is hyperbole I reckon. We wouldnt win a single clearance I dont think.
Isn’t it just saying that they are low on this one (albeit important) stat? Doesn’t say much on clearances at all.

Isn’t it just saying that they are low on this one (albeit important) stat? Doesn’t say much on clearances at all.
I was responding more to Joy Division saying we had 3 of the worst onballers in the league which I dont think is a fair observation.

Yeah, i havent listened to it but I think its the guy they get on from Champion Data who often have.. creative interpretations of their data.

We genuinely are underperforming though. Would really like to see Jones come in and provide some speed and aggression to our center bounces.
Yep, Jones and Gresh are our point of difference in the middle, they give us the spark we need.

It doesn't make them the worst mids in the league, just worst at delivering the ball leading to scores. Probably more to do with how we play as a rebound after losing clearance side. Hill, Nas, Sincs types are the preferred users inside 50.
It's a strategy to lose clearance is it? If it is we are very successful as it.

No reason we can’t win now. Two of their most important players are out
That’s what we said about a much weaker team when Yeo and Kelly weren’t playing ….

If he said our midfield is underperforming a fair way then I would absolutely agree. But saying we have the 3 worst in the league is hyperbole I reckon. We wouldnt win a single clearance I dont think.
In terms of a mix of 3 compared to all other mids, we'd be right down the bottom end somewhere I reckon.

We don't have a genuine mid that has cracked 10 coaches votes for the year.

In terms of a mix of 3 compared to all other mids, we'd be right down the bottom end somewhere I reckon.

We don't have a genuine mid that has cracked 10 coaches votes for the year.

None of Steele, Crouch and Ross deliver the ball well inside 50.

Crouch does a lot of things really well, but that's not one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we have anyone in our current midfield who could do what Steven did to get us that goal. We miss that pace.

Haha my mate from Mount Isa was in Melbourne on holiday and went to that one only because I’m a Saints supporter. His ver first afl game.

David Neitz was the king of this.

I remember him giving Maxy H an absolute bath at the G one game. Was dobbing them form 60m out on the boundary line. Just could not miss.
Neitz
The only one Max used to struggle with imo
Miss maxy
Heart and soul

Whilst our midfield is spluttering at best.
Our biggest issue outside of that is making sure that we limit their intercept defenders.
We have shown time and again that we've been unable or unwilling to shut down the likes of Sicily and co and you'd suggest that the Dee's have 2 that have the ability to make the entire night just painful.
I'd nearly suggest bringing in Cordy, purely to play a lockdown role on May.
On the other hand I wonder how much May is paying for 30 touches?

Whilst our midfield is spluttering at best.
Our biggest issue outside of that is making sure that we limit their intercept defenders.
We have shown time and again that we've been unable or unwilling to shut down the likes of Sicily and co and you'd suggest that the Dee's have 2 that have the ability to make the entire night just painful.
I'd nearly suggest bringing in Cordy, purely to play a lockdown role on May.
On the other hand I wonder how much May is paying for 30 touches?
Or to break the intercept mark record.

Something I feel the media has let slip under the radar but...

No Cordy No St Kilda

It's so obvious they don't need to state it. It doesn't just apply to us either. How many flags have the Dogs won since he left?

Reminds me of 2009 when we got off to a flier with Jimmy Gwilt playing as the 3rd tall forward.

By the GF that role had gone from offensive with Gwilt, to a defensive shutdown role with Sean Dempster.

There's 100 hypothetical scenarios that have us winning in 2009 but this is a big one IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back