Preview Round 17 St.Kilda v Sydney 3.20pm at Marvel stadium (Battle of the Lake )

Remove this Banner Ad

So is that why you hate them so much? I always wondered why as, in my time following the game, they have been mostly irrelevant.
It goes way back . Personally my Father who played for them who i only met once deserted my mother when she was pregnant , she was South and was friends with many players and the weak rat got warned and never played against South again , she taught me to hate them . My Grandfather who was an ex Port Ruckman sadly was in a wheelchair or he would've killed him . Many other reasons going back many years involving the most pathetic club ever .

Last edited:
The term I remember as a kid was not 'Battle of the Lake' but 'Lake Premiership' with the grounds at each end of the lake. Old St kilda ground is now training headquarters of the Bushrangers. Lake Oval now home of Athletics Victoria and South Melbourne Soccer club. State of the art athletics track around it.
Correct it was the Lake Premiership , but i thought battle of the lake explained it better . Beating them was like winning a flag

I hate Sunday games the most. It’s when I am most busy :(

Will be playing the second leg of a back to back weekend of football on Sunday, pending rain.. will be a sore one.

I use to live next door to Greeks in Cobden Street, South Melbourne, they use to take me to their games when I was a young tacker.
I went to a few games as well . There disrespect to other clubs in Albert Park was a disgrace , thought they owned the park and now they call themselves SMFC , but there was only ever one of them !

It goes way back . Personally my Father who i only met once deserted my mother when she was pregnant , she was South and was friends with many players and the weak rat got warned and never played against South again , she taught me to hate them . My Grandfather who was an ex Port Ruckman sadly was in a wheelchair or he would've killed him . Many other reasons going back many years involving the most pathetic club ever .
Oh wow Bedders, that is so sad, I get it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there really a Saint called Kilda?

I’ve done a google search & it appears not.

So St Kilda should be known simply as “Kilda”. The Saint part is clearly a historical falsehood.

Alternately, rename them as “Punk Town”, which Wikipedia tells me St Kilda was known as, prior to 1842.

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

There's something about Ross Lyon that's off-putting. A bit like Rodney Eade. I can't put my finger on it but I would like to see him removed from the AFL, so I hope we pump them by 80+

Correct it was the Lake Premiership , but i thought battle of the lake explained it better . Beating them was like winning a flag
Yeh, I can remember any win for us was like a Premiership, loved going to that ground, loved those hot donuts and nothing better than drinking water out of that old lions head fountain, yeh always love my Swans👍 fabulous parking outside the ground, who could forget Cocky 😂 fabulous memories 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back