Preview Round 17 St.Kilda v Sydney 3.20pm at Marvel stadium (Battle of the Lake )

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Massive game for the Bloods to bounce back after the disappointment of last week .
This battle goes back nearly 150 years as both clubs were in the VFA until the breakaway to the VFL in 1897 .
We won 5 in the VFA period , they of course won 0.
For those that don't know the history St.Kilda was situated at the Junction Oval at the Southern end of Albert Park Lake , the Bloods were at the City end approx 1.5 k's . It was war this is our traditional enemy . It intensified when Saints strongman Eric Guy knocked out Bobby Skilton in the late 60's , we actually thought Bob was dead as he was carried off , but of course the great man recovered as always. Things changed a bit when they moved to Moorabbin in 1965 and then in 1982 we moved to Sydney.
In the 20's we have played 37 times and we have won 24 and a draw to their 13 including our loss last year.
Both clubs have had many to play for both , including Tony Lockett , Spida Everitt , too many for now.
We also hold the last Q record kicking 17 4 against them in 1919 , hard to imagine now.
This game hopefully will be a smashing by us , we know they're coach like negative footy , so expect a lot of close checking .
Rowan Marshall in the ruck will be a tough opponent for Grundy and be interesting to see how Max King goes after once again being hammered everywhere for his lack of effort , but he has played well against us in the past , as has Jack Higgins who was also no good last week.
Of course the key will be our midfield who need to bounce back and get it forward quick and hopefully Amartey can grab a few.
I feel this will be tight until HT and we will surge in the 2nd half and we will win by 46 .

I wouldn't be too worried about Max King as I don't think he has it in him to bounce back.

This post should be sung to “The Saints are Coming”

Cried to Ross Lyon on the telephone, how long now?
Till all the draft picks combined could ever, score a hundred
But the shadows still remain since Ross made coach, Ross made coach

Hoo, Ha!

The saints aren’t coming, the saints aren’t coming
It doesn’t matter how they try, they realise it’s all futile
The saints aren’t coming, the saints aren’t coming
It doesn’t matter how they try, the whole club is just futiiile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive game for the Bloods to bounce back after the disappointment of last week .
This battle goes back nearly 150 years as both clubs were in the VFA until the breakaway to the VFL in 1897 .
We won 5 in the VFA period , they of course won 0.
For those that don't know the history St.Kilda was situated at the Junction Oval at the Southern end of Albert Park Lake , the Bloods were at the City end approx 1.5 k's . It was war this is our traditional enemy . It intensified when Saints strongman Eric Guy knocked out Bobby Skilton in the late 60's , we actually thought Bob was dead as he was carried off , but of course the great man recovered as always. Things changed a bit when they moved to Moorabbin in 1965 and then in 1982 we moved to Sydney.
In the 20's we have played 37 times and we have won 24 and a draw to their 13 including our loss last year.
Both clubs have had many to play for both , including Tony Lockett , Spida Everitt , too many for now.
We also hold the last Q record kicking 17 4 against them in 1919 , hard to imagine now.
This game hopefully will be a smashing by us , we know they're coach like negative footy , so expect a lot of close checking .
Rowan Marshall in the ruck will be a tough opponent for Grundy and be interesting to see how Max King goes after once again being hammered everywhere for his lack of effort , but he has played well against us in the past , as has Jack Higgins who was also no good last week.
Of course the key will be our midfield who need to bounce back and get it forward quick and hopefully Amartey can grab a few.
I feel this will be tight until HT and we will surge in the 2nd half and we will win by 46 .
“like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now, where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.”

“like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Give me five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now, where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones.”
That's actually pretty funny

Because I'm working from home and achieved my targets for last FY (and therefore have my feet up at the moment) I decided to have a browse of the Saints board. There is a real existential crisis going on in there, which I can truly understand. However, I was slapped in the face by irony when I read a complaint that their NGA was about to gift them with a good player when the rules were changed.
I'm sorry, what is their very own president campaigning about now? Having said that, their president reeks of using deflection from their own performance at the moment.

Given North is probably doing as well form-wise as the Saints, I'd be inclined to manage anyone who is struggling to play through injury at the moment, this week, rather than wait another. Heeney is one, though the alternative is to just play him up forward more, with a few bursts in the mids.

If Cunningham is out, I'd be bringing Fox in to sit on Higgins.

JJ on Sinclair. Traditionally, and at least stats wise from last week, the key driver from HB for the Saints.

Out: Cunningham, Cleary
In: Fox, Mitchell (sub)

Though Cleary was able to play in the VFL, so might make another sub appearance. I'd probably rotate it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back