Unofficial Preview Round 17 vs. Essendon, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 05/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird calls all around. We were in control for all but the last 10 minutes of that game, 100% should have been a win. Umpires call definitely turned momentum but we shouldn’t have allowed them back in it regardless.

Definitely not a game that should have been a loss.
We had like 6 injuries in last quarter

But we have seen Sydney fold meekly in their last 2 grand finals at the G.
The same would easily have been said about us prior to our premiership last year.

We’ll need to lift significantly and start consistently playing at least close to our best footy (ala what we played against Blues or Port earlier this year) to be a genuine danger to Sydney in finals this year.

We absolutely have it in us, but a lot has been going against us this year. It’ll take a fair effort.

Noble provides speed and bounce off half back. McCreery speed and tackling pressure up forward.

Both are losses.

If Jaicos joins them then good luck us. If Maynard misses we look f*cked.

Fingers and testicles crossed.

Do we need to and more so, can we change our game style for the rest of the year. More so changing from the catch up and over take from behind style that maybe most teams have worked out. To the fast start and or put the game beyond reach in bursts like Swans and Carlton.

I’m guessing to be able to do a lot of this will come down to personnel that we might not have all at once.

Noble provides speed and bounce off half back. McCreery speed and tackling pressure up forward.

Both are losses.

If Jaicos joins them then good luck us. If Maynard misses we look f*cked.

Fingers and testicles crossed.
Wait! You’re not Sam Taylor are you?

But we have seen Sydney fold meekly in their last 2 grand finals at the G.
They folded last time only because they were too young, especially around the ball.

The fact they made the gf so young imho only further suggests that they have a very talented group that will be very hard to beat this year. And the there's Grundy to boot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong, my rational brain has also processed all this too.

I just did the ladder predictor and have us finishing 12-9-2 and juuuuust in the 8 come finals time.

That's with a win against Essendon, loss to Cats, loss to Hawks, win against Tigers, loss to Carlton, loss to Sydney, win against Lions, win against Dees.

So 4-4 leading into finals. It's all doable and hopefully we rally with returns from Elliot, Mitchell and McStay as well.
We’ll beat Geelong. That makes 13 and I reckon we’ll bounce back against the Hawks despite history.

That makes 14 wins

Wright Stringer and Langford - we always struggle for good match ups on them

If Maynard is out too, this could be exacerbated

Not sure there is a role for Frampton on any of them - I think he plays the Cox role or VFL

We might have to go with -
Moore - Wright
Crisp - Stringer
? - Langford

Don’t think either Howe or Dean have the speed on lead to go with Stringer or Langford

If Maynard and Jaicos are out, this is going to be a very difficult task.
I'm bringing in Dean for Frampton, so if Maynard is out it would be Jiath or Leggy survives another week.
If Jaicos is out then probably Ed Allan is maybe given another taste of senior footy.
Either way, not really filling me with very much confidence, considering the importance of this game....

If Maynard and Jaicos are out, this is going to be a very difficult task.
I'm bringing in Dean for Frampton, so if Maynard is out it would be Jiath or Leggy survives another week.
If Jaicos is out then probably Ed Allan is maybe given another taste of senior footy.
Either way, not really filling me with very much confidence, considering the importance of this game....
Well Shoota is back in, so perhaps he replaces WHE up forward and WHE fills in for Jaicos on the wing? Dean surely has to come in anyway - we have to contend with Wright (Frampton?), Langford (Moore?), Jones (Dean?), Hind (Markov), Guelfi (IQ).

Well Shoota is back in, so perhaps he replaces WHE up forward and WHE fills in for Jaicos on the wing? Dean surely has to come in anyway - we have to contend with Wright (Frampton?), Langford (Moore?), Jones (Dean?), Hind (Markov), Guelfi (IQ).
Jones has being playing wing I think.

Still think he gets named and they give him every chance.
Fly might rule Josh out in his press conference.
Good to hear that Maynard looks ok.
Reckon it will be Schultz, Dean and Reef in for McCreery, Noble and Josh.

Hopefully Josh is only a short term injury.

haven't Essendon been playing 2 rucks with 1, at times, rolling forward?

all of Frampton (needs to significantly 'up' his intensity & 2nd efforts), Moore & Dean will be needed for resting ruck, 2-metre & Langford, especially if (its likely) Howe plays forwrard.

Howe, Kreuger & Mihocek forward with WHE filling in for Josh on the wing

Last edited:
If we want Billy to become a decent full back we need to stop moving him around to play multiple positions. He needs to just get the hang of doing one thing to a higher level.
I agree. I think our defence was working at its best this year when we had Frampton, Dean & Moore together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back