Game Day Round 17 vs. Essendon, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 05/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re probably disrespecting Maynard and IQ a bit here. Moore and Howe aren’t the only leaders in our defence.
I did think of that before I posted, but Dean and Frampton would need to be positioning themselves in relation to Moore (as tall defenders, in sync with Moore).
So thought that IQ and Maynard would not be as critical as Jeremy Howe in such a conversation between tall defenders. I would never disrespect IQ and Bruzza :'(

I did think of that before I posted, but Dean and Frampton would need to be positioning themselves in relation to Moore (as tall defenders, in sync with Moore).
So thought that IQ and Maynard would not be as critical as Jeremy Howe in such a conversation between tall defenders. I would never disrespect IQ and Bruzza :'(
It’s a system based defence, the whole back 6 works together and communicates, it’s not a case of only the tall players knowing where the tall players should be etc.

It’s a system based defence, the whole back 6 works together and communicates, it’s not a case of only the tall players knowing where the tall players should be etc.
Ok, that makes me feel reassured. No drama if Howe goes forward.
I guess the main motivation in my previous post is that neither Frampton nor Dean have nearly the same level of experience as Howe and Moore, so minimizing the threshold of inexperience in defence would seem to be the most solid option.
However, I think that everything depends on the midfield battle, and how much pressure, and work rate our mids produce... our defence has been under the pump lately due to the ability of the opposition to bombard it into our D50 with little resistance downfield.

Last edited:

Frampton was fine last year when Cameron and Cox were injured - that was a true test, that demonstrates his superiority over Krueger as a Ruckman.
Yes, and that is why I think he will be playing a Cox-like role tomorrow night. It makes total sense, given that both Kreuger and Dean are in the team.

Lets Go Sunglasses GIF by Xbox

I didn’t know Obese Arachnid had a chest tattoo.

Ok, that makes me feel reassured. No drama if Howe goes forward.
I guess the main motivation in my previous post is that neither Frampton nor Dean have nearly the same level of experience as Howe and Moore, so minimizing the threshold of inexperience in defence would seem to be the most solid option.
However, I think that everything depends on the midfield battle, and how much pressure, and work rate our mids produce... our defence has been under the pump lately due to the ability of the opposition to bombard it into our D50 with little resistance downfield.
The bigger issue is if the midfield and forward areas don’t provide pressure and contest and concede 65 inside 50’s again. No defence likes that

Changes from the Melbourne game where we had an excellent win

Out Noble Sullivan McCreery Macrae
In Pendles JDG Mihocek Richards

Hmmm
Don’t forget Ned ‘Smash’ Long

The middle two quarters is where we lost it, though. Look, won't argue with you BB. Whatever happened, was still concerning. However, I will totally yield to the more optimistic opinion that we have had one bad trot and there is plenty of room for improvement tomorrow night.

However, why did we concede those 4 goals, of which were late too? We seemed to be holding up the dam wall for the good part of that second quarter, only to let them wheel away to what ended up being what was too bigger margin than it ought to have been. What was the reason why we couldn't get any goals ourselves?

Only looking for discussion. Trying to get pumped up to find some hope against the Bombers. They've been rubbish, the Bombers, but every team seems to get a hard on for us. Would love for us to get a hold of them, and get our mojo back.

domus re your comment regarding the Essendon supporter, you can see the envy oozing from his fingers behind the keyboard. I guess it must suck that if they copped one injury to one of their mediocre players, they'd plummet back to irrelevancy.

jmac70 I might be with you on the next four, mate. Seems we don't have the Blues for five weeks. The Hawks game is going to be tough, because they are surging for finals. Fcuk, now I am letting my optimism get ahead of me, because of the permutations.

Geelong have been awful, so maybe the game last week illustrates just how bad Essendon is? We need:

• The Giants to get a hold of the Blues (possible chance)
  • The Dogs to get a hold of the Power (definite chance)
  • Richmond to cause an upset of the Dockers (probably no chance)

We'd be top four if we get the job done against the Bombers. Phew. It'd be nice for us to get back on track. Come on Maggies...

We refused to move the ball off the line. Kept kicking it from half back to the wing. Andrews, Collins, Ballard etc had a field day there for 20 mins. Eventually the dam wall broke and the Suns hit the scoreboard.

Anyway, it's old news. We bring the heat tonight (i'd be staggered if we don't) and we should be too strong for the Dons over 4 quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After beating Richmond who barely had a side by 2 goals, the Bombers have lost to the Suns by 2 goals up there, lost to the Baggers by nearly 5 goals and got pumped by the Cats. They got over the Eagles.
They’ve had big scores kicked against them in all 4 games - 91, 96, 92 & 105.
If our defence can get back on song then we should be able to score enough to have a decent win.

Sydney and Carlton will be barracking very hard for Essendon tonight.
They would hate us to finish top 4 - they would fear us in a cut throat final

I'm going tonight for my first game in a while. Haven't been able to attend games for a variety of annoying (not too serious) reasons.

Anyway, I dont like Essendon games and I dont like Essendon fans. But is there a more dislikable player in football than Jake Stringer? He's a walking horror show, but a damn good footballer when he turns it on.

Pies have to win this one for a lot of very good reasons, including making Stringer feel bad. Not too much to ask, surely?

I'm going tonight for my first game in a while. Haven't been able to attend games for a variety of annoying (not too serious) reasons.

Anyway, I dont like Essendon games and I dont like Essendon fans. But is there a more dislikable player in football than Jake Stringer? He's a walking horror show, but a damn good footballer when he turns it on.

Pies have to win this one for a lot of very good reasons, including making Stringer feel bad. Not too much to ask, surely?
Firstly, hope you feel better soon.

Secondly, see your Stringer and raise you a Zorko and Joey Daniher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back