Trades Round 18 Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

While I agree with the general principle of upgrading rookies first, I think at this stage you've got to look at the upcoming fixtures.

There are only 6 rounds left, so the difference between a #1 and #6 in a position may only be a matter of 60 points (i.e. 10 points per game).

But we know that averages are just that. We also have 17 rounds of data on what teams tend to be good to play against for fantasy purposes. Now is the time to exploit that data to give the edge on your final trade ins (and outs).

Ahern's next games are against Collingwood, West Coast, Brisbane, Bulldogs, Adelaide and St Kilda. Collingwood and Adelaide have proven to be fantasy lands of milk and honey for midfield opponents this year, and Saints and Brisbane also tend to concede some big points. Whether Ahern cashes in is another question, but it may be safe to assume that his average will rise with the tide, so to speak.

Ahern may not score 100+, but if he is able to average 80 over the last 6, then you need to weigh up whether upgrading him to someone who may average 95 (a 90 point net gain over 6 weeks) is worth the $300k it'd cost to upgrade him (and the opportunity cost of those downgrade trade/s).

All that to say, the closer we get to the end of the season, the less the general principles apply because there are less rounds left. It really comes down heavily to form and opponents (and luck, of course).
Good point but taking matchups into account port have gws, dogs and crows which are all good matchups for mids and with rocky capable of 120+

As you said we have data that shows ahern can go 30-40 and despite him playing a better role now (I think) a ben jacobs return seems imminent which would see his points drop probably.

At the end of the day you could research for hours and something may happen for whatever reason e.g. rocky returning to brisbane form or scoring 80's and ahern maintaining 75-90 or going back to back 40's. In a situation like this you have to back yourself to choose a player. Maybe the money from rocky could get you macrae who may average 140 from here.

Liam ryan -> Fergus or Baker if named
Ridley -> O'riordan

273k in the bank for phillips or ahern to macrae next week and my team will be complete.
Now, who to field out of phillips and ahern.....

I know it goes against the accepted wisdom but...

Crisp -> Morgan
Gray -> Smith

Then next week

Parker -> Macrae
Walters -> Heeney

Should be able to cash out Ahern the week after to get an actual defender in. The only good defenders I don't have are Yeo and Lloyd and they are too expensive and Crisp is losing value.

Dangerfield, it's been pretty hard to fine decent forwards this year, and DPP have just served one up.
After that 151, he likely won't get any cheaper than he is now.
Enjoy.

Yep.
My bottom 5 became a bit clearer this weekend

1. Sauce
2. Savage
3. De Goey
4. Walters
5. Rocky

I think Wingard is safe keeper now.

Having said that, Jacobs to Grundy still costs 224k (though down from 300k recently). With Grundy falling another 10-20k per week, and Jacobs rising 5-10k per week, it may be sub 200k next week.
No clear way to do the trade this week with my current bench.

With Dangerfield on offer I think I have to grab him for either of those bottom three. Tempted to use Rocky and save the extra cash but think De Goey will be the smart play. Probably downgrade OMac this week to fund it.

Fritsch -> Riordan
Nicnat -> Goldstein

Shift Ahern to on the ground for 1 week.

Ready to pounce on Ahern -> Macrae next week and swing Danger fwd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trades Round 18 Trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back