Game Day Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the Blues would be good enough and could maintain their focus with Curnow and McKay both missing.

Ours mightn't be as good but it's the situation we now find ourselves in.

Now, where's my pins and voodoo dolls.

Curnow goes missing in finals. Alls well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May be inexperienced but he’s a solid lump of a lad who has been performing reasonably well at VFL in his limited games.

Chucking an inexperienced kid into the ruck is crazy. Leaving aside the beasting the cop in the contests, experienced rucks will run them off their feet and get those easy marks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can't expect to beat ANYONE if we don't apply pressure for at least 3, preferably 4 qtrs.

Playing one good quarter is not going to cut it against anyone.
Prob only a game or two, we've actually played 4 quarters. Seems to be a trend this year.

Prob only a game or two, we've actually played 4 quarters. Seems to be a trend this year.
We got away with it a few times last year too. This year we've lost/drawn the ones we would have won last year.

If we bring our pressure/tackling we can beat anyone. That's the most frustrating thing.

We've played soooo ordinary and yet drawn 2 & lost past 2 by a couple of goals.

We got away with it a few times last year too. This year we've lost/drawn the ones we would have won last year.

If we bring our pressure/tackling we can beat anyone. That's the most frustrating thing.

We've played soooo ordinary and yet drawn 2 & lost past 2 by a couple of goals.
Yeah we did get away with it last year. I think sides have worked out how we play now, which is understandable, which makes it harder.
Cant just rely on pressure, because when that drops, you need to go back to the basics - and the basics failed us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah we did get away with it last year. I think sides have worked out how we play now, which is understandable, which makes it harder.
Cant just rely on pressure, because when that drops, you need to go back to the basics - and the basics failed us.
But we haven't brought ANY pressure at any time during the last couple of games. Last night was the worst.

Bombers played against witches hats last night.

But we haven't brought ANY pressure at any time during the last couple of games. Last night was the worst.

Bombers played against witches hats last night.
It was bad.
Probably the worst ive seen in a number of years. Maybe since Bucks.

We missed Nobles run and McCreery's closing speed last night. We also desperately miss Jamie's forward pressure and I will say it, Cox's ability to bring a ball to ground and give us a bail out down the line.
As an aside, the term 'closing speed' is one of my pet peeves. 'Closing speed' is a myth - it is just the same as 'speed'. It is simply a player with speed who starts a distance behind a slower player, and catches up to them when running in the same direction....

You don't have closing speed and not speed.

Switching to a man on man setup during necessary periods of the game would certainly change things up and be less predictable. Guarding grass is like a cone drill to goals for teams chipping around and over. I'd also like to see us slow the game down when required. This play on at all costs mentality has been worked out by most sides now and is too easy to combat. Opposition players aren't tackling the ball carrier and are covering the guy running past or sitting waiting to easily intercept the handball.

We missed Nobles run and McCreery's closing speed last night. We also desperately miss Jamie's forward pressure and I will say it, Cox's ability to bring a ball to ground and give us a bail out down the line.

It's very frustrating to watch at the moment and Fly is going to have his hands full trying to maintain this calm approach of telling the players it's all just about living the moment and be happy.
I tell you what else we miss & that's Mitchell's grunt work in the middle.

Watching Mckay take those constant intercept marks just underlines the importance of Cox. He could play a game registering no kicks or marks and still make a huge impact on the outcome of a match. Mckay doesn't take six intercept marks if Cox is playing. Draper doesn't bash the ball 25 m into their forward line if Cox is playing nor does he take those marks in their forward fifty.

We need Cox back more than any other player in my opinion as far as the structure of our team is concerned-he changes everything.

The morons on the radio post-match were saying the only player of significance we are missing is McStay. How can you be employed as a footy expert and make the same kind of ignorant, garbage comments as the nuffies on the main board? It is mindblowing.

Mitchell is a huge out. Cox as already mentioned and McStay will make a big difference to our forward line and ruck division. McCreery and Elliott make our forward line far more capable of applying the fierce pressure we are renowned for. Let's hope we get them all back while the season is still alive.

Watching Mckay take those constant intercept marks just underlines the importance of Cox. He could play a game registering no kicks or marks and still make a huge impact on the outcome of a match. Mckay doesn't take six intercept marks if Cox is playing. Draper doesn't bash the ball 25 m into their forward line if Cox is playing nor does he take those marks in their forward fifty.

We need Cox back more than any other player in my opinion as far as the structure of our team is concerned-he changes everything.

The morons on the radio post-match were saying the only player of significance we are missing is McStay. How can you be employed as a footy expert and make the same kind of ignorant, garbage comments as the nuffies on the main board? It is mindblowing.

Mitchell is a huge out. Cox as already mentioned and McStay will make a big difference to our forward line and ruck division. McCreery and Elliott make our forward line far more capable of applying the fierce pressure we are renowned for. Let's hope we get them all back while the season is still alive.
What station was it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back