Game Day Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

It was mentioned several times in the post-match review - the lack of defensive pressure and accountability from our forwards and mids when Essendon was moving out of their defence. Not sure if it was coaching instructions or lack of effort and gut-running from the players, but just guarding grass and allowing a team to exit defence so easily was one of the reasons why we were beaten IMHO. I am hoping this gets addressed in the Geelong game.
In fact, "zoning off" anywhere on the ground does not seem to be working for us anymore. Are our current batch of players lacking the foot speed overall to make it work? Is it time to return to the old-fashioned concept of man on man defending, allowing for greater proximity to and attack on the ball??

Howe
Sidebottom
Cox
Miocheck(Injury Prone)
Sidebottom was our best player last night and Howe was good up forward. Last night didn't go according to plan but probably would have been a lot worse without them in the side. Cox isn't playing anyway due to injury and if I remember Wade's last update he's still about 3-5 weeks away which does put him in the touch and go category for getting back before finals (if we make it). Mihocek has already been ruled out for the season, but I strongly dispute the injury prone statement. Prior to the bad run he's had this year he has played 24, 23, 21 18 (2020 shortened season), 24, 16 (first season and debuted in round 11). Since his debut in 2018 he'd be close to our most durable player behind Crisp which when you consider the role he plays probably makes that possibly makes his durability as remarkable as Crisp's.

Last edited:
Don’t chuck it in yet. We won’t be near the flag but we can still have some fun. I reckon we’ve got a couple of surprising wins in us. We’re certainly not using much energy on our pressure game ATM, it’s all fairly bruise free. So let’s hope we’re saving some of our energy to pulverise a couple of cocky teams above us.

I’d start with Geelong next week.

Yes me too!! When we turn it around and beat the Cats next week everyone will jump back on board.

With such a close competition we just have to hang in there and see what unfolds. With 13 sides fighting for the eight, the other results are unpredictable too. Like us, those top two sides are an injury to a good player or two from coming back to the pack.

We only lost by two goals the last two weeks playing horrible quarters of footy.

All is not lost!! Go Pies.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who plays 1st ruck if Cameron is out? Kreuger? Smit? Frampton?
I'm thinking maybe Frampton with Kreuger to back him up or vice versa seems the most likely scenario, given I don't think Smit is ready, that was the report when we recruited him, though I stand to be corrected if any of our VFL watchers feel differently. Frampton seems the most logical given he's done it before, though it would mean we would need to deploy Moore as a lockdown defender.

An out of the box suggestion, given his form issues, could we look at trialling Moore in there as a bit of a circuit breaker for him at least as a back up. I know I've seen others suggest this in the past, though I'm not sure if that is just because of his Dad or because he could genuinly do it.

While its good news that Cameron's ribs are only bruised and not cracked, its still going to be very uncomfortable for him next week. With his arms in the air at every ruck & marking contest, Geelong will be targeting them all night long.
Freddy cannot be used in the center bounce again, he's just not big enough, and we need him forward now with Checkers gone for the year. I would seriously consider playing Roo. I know he's nowhere near ready, but the cupboard is bare, and he will get his hand to the ball first against Geelong. All those bagging Cox and wanting him dropped before he got injured are seeing the difference he makes now.
Hopefully, Reef gets a run for the rest of the year with Checkers out.
I think one of Bobby, Schultz, HH or Richards should be sub - Long should be in the 22.
Howe has to stay forward, he appears to be the only player we have who actually knows how to lead.
I am really concerned about Moore now, he has fallen off a cliff. His decision making with ball in hand has just deteriorated completely. Should he be swapped with Howe? Does he play on ball? I dont have the answer, but currently, he is not playing like a captain.
Our midfield seems kaput - the opposition know they only have to slightly curtail Nick's influence, as the rest of them are just not performing well enough to punish them.
Obviously, this is a must win game now. Missing the 8 altogether would be a massively disappointing defense.

Think people should lower their expectations. Injuries have killed us this year. I can’t see us turning it around in a week. Last night was pretty awful footy.
We looked good in patches last night but like a lot of the season we weren't able to do it consistently over four quarters, and unlike last season our defense didn't hold up when momentum was against us which exposed us quite a bit.

I'm thinking maybe Frampton with Kreuger to back him up or vice versa seems the most likely scenario, given I don't think Smit is ready, that was the report when we recruited him, though I stand to be corrected if any of our VFL watchers feel differently. Frampton seems the most logical given he's done it before, though it would mean we would need to deploy Moore as a lockdown defender.

An out of the box suggestion, given his form issues, could we look at trialling Moore in there as a bit of a circuit breaker for him at least as a back up. I know I've seen others suggest this in the past, though I'm not sure if that is just because of his Dad or because he could genuinly do it.
If Cameron has just bruised ribs, give him a week spell and just use Frampton as sole ruck. Cats aren’t blessed in ruck stocks either. Kreugs to back up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Cameron has just bruised ribs, give him a week spell and just use Frampton as sole ruck. Cats aren’t blessed in ruck stocks either. Kreugs to back up.
That seems the most likely scenario. Just need to have a plan for Cameron up forward, though I would suggest if we do redeploy Frampton to the Ruck then Moore would get first crack.

Think we’ll pull the trigger and play McStay?
Hard to know. The first hurdle is to be cleared to play, then the second question will be can he come straight back into to the seniors or does he need a game or two at the lower level first given he hasn't played a game since the PF last year.

Hard to know. The first hurdle is to be cleared to play, then the second question will be can he come straight back into to the seniors or does he need a game or two at the lower level first given he hasn't played a game since the PF last year.
All this is true. Was surprised Ashcroft came straight in.

Sidebottom was our best player last night and Howe was good up forward. Last night didn't go according to plan but probably would have been a lot worse without them in the side. Cox isn't playing anyway due to injury and if I remember Wade's last update he's still about 3-5 weeks away which does put him in the touch and go category for getting back before finals (if we make it). Mihocek has already been ruled out for the season, but I strongly dispute the injury prone statement. Prior to the bad run he's had this year he has played 24, 23, 21 18 (2020 shortened season), 24, 16 (first season and debuted in round 11). Since his debut in 2018 he'd be close to our most durable player behind Crisp which when you consider the role he plays probably makes that possibly makes his durability as remarkable as Crisp's.
Sidebottom may have been one of our best on a bad night. But the stats looked better than the outcomes IMO (although i think he had fairly high rurnover stats). He has no real ability to penetrate lines with his disposal anymore and he is often rushed due to legspeed, but also being not agile enough or not clean enough when the ball is on the ground in his vicinity.

Essentially he is not able to dictate off halfback and the opposition are not going to be concerned with that.

He was one of the few that it wasn't all too hard for last night, but at the same time you wouldn't be hanging your hat on him being reimagined as an effective hbf.

Sidebottom may have been one of our best on a bad night. But the stats looked better than the outcomes IMO (although i think he had fairly high rurnover stats). He has no real ability to penetrate lines with his disposal anymore and he is often rushed due to legspeed, but also being not agile enough or not clean enough when the ball is on the ground in his vicinity.

Essentially he is not able to dictate off halfback and the opposition are not going to be concerned with that.

He was one of the few that it wasn't all too hard for last night, but at the same time you wouldn't be hanging your hat on him being reimagined as an effective hbf.

Might have been a theme for his season overall, but that's not what happened last night.

Everyone else was fumbly, indecisive and making poor decisions (or not making a decision at all and gertting caught), but imo Sidey was the one beacon of hope who was showing a bit of intensity in contested ball situations, had clean hands and generally put team mates out into space by hand or foot when he got the ball off half back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back