Preview Round 19 - Brisbane v Sydney @ The Gabba (Sunday 1:10pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but they are 14th for marks in recent weeks. To me this suggests that teams are learning (as St Kilda and Fremantle did) to take this part of their game off them.

To your earlier point, it's possible that the other side to the coin, besides controlling possession ourselves, is having the discipline to not allow them to play that way?

100%

While we concede the lowest uncontested marks against - I’m not sure I can attribute that to our defensive application. Clearly when we take so many marks ourselves we control the ball more than our opponent.

The other component though is that I think teams want to move the ball super quickly against us, often being happy to kick to contest and hope the ball gets out the back so our defenders are turned around or have to press up leaving gaps.

Will be an interesting chess match on Sunday.

Josh Dunkley on his Podcast with Adam Treloar today said >

1- Straight after the Eagles game in the sheds the boys were talking about the Swans game.

2- The boys have been eyeing the Swans off for a while, great opportunity to assess yourself against the best team in the competition.

100%

While we concede the lowest uncontested marks against - I’m not sure I can attribute that to our defensive application. Clearly when we take so many marks ourselves we control the ball more than our opponent.

The other component though is that I think teams want to move the ball super quickly against us, often being happy to kick to contest and hope the ball gets out the back so our defenders are turned around or have to press up leaving gaps.

Will be an interesting chess match on Sunday.
We managed to do a keepings off v Melbourne at the mcg exceptionally well.

Also thought 2-3 of our goals vs wce showed similar signs. Found targets and space after great patience.

Obv we want to go fast when it’s on but i do think we have managed some good mix this year, dare i say it some plan b sprinkled in with some plan a!

So hypothetically, if the appeal is successful and Charlie somehow gets off completely he's still missing the Sydney game anyway right? Since team selection would likely of already happened by the time the decision is made.

Edit
Nevermind, someone already answered this question.

So hypothetically, if the appeal is successful and Charlie somehow gets off completely he's still missing the Sydney game anyway right? Since team selection would likely of already happened by the time the decision is made.

Nope, will be named then removed if we are unsuccessful.

Yes, but they are 14th for marks in recent weeks. To me this suggests that teams are learning (as St Kilda and Fremantle did) to take this part of their game off them.

To your earlier point, it's possible that the other side to the coin, besides controlling possession ourselves, is having the discipline to not allow them to play that way?
I just realised I misinterpreted my own stat Tom14 🤦 Literally outsmarted myself.

What my analysis revealed was that we are the #1 marking team in recent weeks, while the Swans are #14 for ALLOWING marks.

So I feel like this really does speak to your earlier comment about teams looking to control both (a) possession and (b) the speed of the game against Sydney. And it looks like, more or less, Sydney have been allowing this to happen.

It shapes as a fascinating aspect to watch out for on Sunday.

For what it's worth I have Sydney #9 for marks taken in recent weeks so a slight drop off from the #7 you quoted for the full season, but not dramatic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Henry Smith on the extended bench, I like Henry but I think it would be a mistake to play a 2nd ruck against such a strong gut running side as the Swans. Bench >

[2] Deven Robertson,[4] Callum Ah Chee,[7] Jarrod Berry,[25] Henry Smith,[26] Conor McKenna,[28] Jaspa Fletcher,[34] Shadeau Brain,[38] Bruce Reville.

I hope we go with Ah Chee, Berry, Fletcher, Brain + Reville/Robertson as the sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back