Preview Round 19: Geelong V Brisbane, Battle of the Cats - Sat 22nd July 4:35pm @ GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weeks awesome preview is bought to you by PzBlinky - it's a great read, so please enjoy:

As the competition trudges through the dense jungle of the last few rounds, with the favourites, challengers, and pretenders seemingly established, a whisper echoes through the leaves..

f5d3d218-2ba3-4a70-9996-f004135a69f8_text.gif

Teams are looking over their shoulder.

Fans are muttering to themselves.

Something is stirring...

Something in the form of...

In Love Cat GIF

Or maybe not. It could all go belly-up this coming Saturday.

This week our trusty band of blue-and-white crusaders face the literal personification of "Lions at home and lambs away"... at their home, of course.

But to see this as just a simple "must win" clash for both sides would be to ignore the rich history between two perennial contenders of the past 4 or 5 years.

So let's dive in...

The story so far

GgmAShTp.jpg%20+%20

Unlike the "to the final bell" qualifying final, 2022's preliminary final was part stomping, part triumphal march into the grand final for the Cats, with the Lions playing the role of the red carpet.

But it isn't always one-way traffic. In 2021, we were given a solid reality check at the Gabba after a run of 5 wins and they edged us by a solitary point at the same venue a couple of years earlier. Sandwiched between those disappointing defeats was a fantastic underdog win in the 2020 preliminary final. At the Cattery, it's been a case of "close enough is NOT good enough" for the Lions more times than they'd care to admit.

That said, it's not just where you play a team, it's when you play them...

A tale of two teams

After a shaky start, the Lions have picked up where they left off last year - nigh invincible at home, and shaky (with an occasional "solid") everywhere else. They have managed to bank enough wins to be holding onto third spot and perhaps a tiny chance to steal second should Port's stumble against Carlton be more serious than first thought.

On the other hand, Geelong partied like it was 1999 after taking all before them last year... and for the first few rounds, it showed. Injuries, new players to the team, and others down on form concocted a foul-tasting form line that has been up and down at dizzying speeds.

1689506896849.png

The last few weeks have been encouraging for the Cats, with resounding wins over the Bombers, Kangas, and Melbourne - and even managing to return from Sydney with 2 vital points despite being outplayed for much of the game.

MCG voodoo aside, the Lions have had their own good run of form, winning 4 of their last 5 until Friday's epic against the Dees.

Gabba-toir or Gabba-gabba-doo?

While a win or loss won't mean the end of the season for either team, it's high stakes on both sides.

A win on the road would keep the Cats one step ahead of the pack, several of whom have soft draws ahead (unlike us). For the Lions, a win would keep them in touch with Port while a loss would probably be the end of their Top 2 aspirations - meaning a QF berth in either Melbourne or Adelaide.

Possible Mano-a-manos

While there are mouth-watering match-ups all over the ground, I've plucked out 3 that could go a long way to deciding the contest...

Andrews vs Hawkins - With Cameron down on form, this could be THE key battle in our forward line (though hopefully our mosquito squad fire up again). Hawk's in great touch - who would've thought he'd be 3rd or 4th in the race for the Coleman 3 weeks into the season? But Andrews is no slouch either, so it will be a fascinating battle as always.

Neale vs O'Connor(?) - Considering Merrick's blanketing of Merrett last week, you'd have to think this was a possibility - especially if you think back to the job on Neale a few years back.

Daniher vs SDK - Daniher is the Lions' leading goal-kicker (I know, I'm as shocked as you) and only SDK really has the height to match him (unless Ratugolea comes back). Arguably one of their better players against the Lions and kicked 2.3, so he'll be a handful for the young Cats star.

There are other questions to be answered, like whether Bews comes back to play on Cameron (personally, the side that played Saturday night looks pretty balanced).

Magic eight-ball says...

Geelong's form has been patchy all year, but it does feel like they're finally getting into a groove and will be up for this one. That said, against a team like the Lions, quiet games from the likes of Cameron and Danger are going to make winning much harder, so hoping for a big game from both.

So the question remains: will the Lions cover muscle up, cover themselves in mud, and lure us into their trap-filled lair... or will we add another trophy to our collection?

Predator1987.jpg

Head says: Lions by 18-24 (too good at home)

Heart says: Cats by 6-12 (after a titanic struggle)

cheeky edit/mod note - please don't like this post, like the one directly below to acknowledge the poster who did the work :thumbsu::)

We'll find out a lot about us this month as we face all of the current top 3 starting with this game.

Our record on the road has been poor this year, and Lions are good on their home deck so this will be a tough assignment. After a big win at home it'll be interesting what changes we make, I imagine we'll rest someone for 2E.

I would like to see Jezza hit the scoreboard as he's been down even before his concussion so would like to see him get into some form.

If we played them anywhere else I would back us, but thinking Lions will beat us here at the GABBA.

A win would be huge and our best win for the year, and still keeping our top 4 hopes alive.

Thanks for the preview top effort,I can't wait now for this one before Saturdays game against the Bombers I was thinking I was heading to the GABBA to see my second loss in QLD this season I'm now expecting a contest at least and a possible exciting win take the crowd out of it early is one key away tipping the Cats by 10 points.

Bews is a must this week. Otherwise Charlie will put 5 on the board.
Dunkley missing will help... a lot.
Lions will be favourites and rightly so.
Heart would love a win. We need to be at 100% and hope the Lions are down 5% after a heart breaker vs the Dees.
My Wallet/Sportsbet account says a Lions win by 14pts.
The heart is hoping for a 26 point thumping.

IN; Bews
OUT; Mullin

*Injury cloud. Rohan if so maybe Dempsey comes in or Mullin stays.

In: Tuohy, Bews
Out: Rohan (inj) Duncan (rest)

Do you think Bews will be ready to play?

I was listening to Andrew on the radio on Friday evening and when asked about Jed, it sounded like was still a couple of weeks away

Do you think Bews will be ready to play?

I was listening to Andrew on the radio on Friday evening and when asked about Jed, it sounded like was still a couple of weeks away
Spoke to his mate last Thursday night told me he(Jed) and the club was hoping to get up for the Lions. 60/40 to make it.
Knee tendinitis he's had for a few seasons now that flares up. Bummer!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Match up wise: J.Henry on Hipwood, Kolo on Gunston and De Koning on Daniher.

A decision needs to be made on whether Bews is in our best side for the lockdown role. Otherwise we'll need to use O'Connor on Charlie Cameron instead of as a Neale tagger.

I hope Rohan gets up so that he can stretch them the way he did Port when we were on top. Payne will take Hawkins and Andrews I suppose would have to run with J.Cameron, but then who would take Rohan?

Their small defenders will struggle to contain our smalls if we give them enough chances.

Dunkley is important for them. Will he be back for this match?

Ultimately we need our entire midfield group - including wingers - firing. Hopefully Dangerfield is primed for this one and Holmes form holds. Atkins, Bruhn and Blicavs in beast mode is a necessity.

I'm confident this will be a close match. More like the tempo of the first half Vs Port but for the whole match. I'd say it'll be decided by a couple of goals either way. Win and people will have to accept that we're in it up to our eyeballs.

Bews for Mullin only change and no idea who will sub.One more week off won't hurt Tuohy. Rohan (inj)?
Mullin was the sub so if Bews is in there has to be another out.

Rohan was doubtful before the Essendon game then went off numerous times limping.

Who is Arnie? Who is the Predator ...not sure but like concept.

Its all still there to play for considering each weeks seems to bring a surprise result ... top4 and home finals is still there if we roll bris this week. Of course they will be lemon sucking and bitter after the melb game.

BEWARE . CHARLIE CAMERON .. He was ignore by Bris players in the melb game multiple. He will be back home and will be wanting to start the Charlie Davidson If Bews is fit ...bring him in.

We coming into it now Bruhn is now going to get mid field weight like he has not yet felt. He has really picked up role.

Hopefully Jez is more like himself this week. Looked out of sorts with the greesey KP ball.

This week will test the rhetoric on Sav. With Brisb have a setup where we could play him if we are determined to play him.

Rough as a bastard file but the two predictors below with no real emphasis on percentage ... only difference is us winning this week. Play at the G every week in the finals. Or start w1 at the G then Brisbane , then PF against Pies. Im sure different results would put us in Adelaide at some stage.

Big game for them but big game for us too.

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 11.24.41 am.png

Screenshot 2023-07-17 at 11.31.49 am.png

Hell yeah! Living up here in Brisbane, one of my favourite live Hawkins memories is him kicking 6 in atrocious conditions. Everyone else was playing wet weather footy and he's kicking goals like it was a bone-dry night.
I missed that game I may not have got home with flooded roads north of Brisbane.

I missed that game I may not have got home with flooded roads north of Brisbane.

Yeah, that was a pretty miserable patch of weather. If I hadn't bought tickets earlier probably wouldn't have gone to the game but once there it was awesome to watch! (Was also there for the decidedly less awesome sequel the next year.)

Killer write up for this game! Loved it. Well done!

Here are some of my thoughts: Brisbane have not dropped a game all year at the Gabba. They are very nearly impossible to beat here in Brisbane.

If we win, it's on. If we don't, that's okay. Not ideal, but understandable. The Lions at the Gabba is the hardest trip in footy besides us at KP. I'd tip us beating the Pies at the G over Brisbane at the Gabba any day of the week (naturally we have both coming up in our home stretch)!

Charlie Cameron is a weird one. He loves to kick goals against us but the Lions have clearly been coached not to kick him the ball over the last month. It's crazy seeing him in so much space but his teammates either elect to have a (bad) shot at goal or kick it to a contest instead of kicking it to Charlie Cameron. Guessing they were worried they depended too much on him at the expense of others? No idea. Why you are using one of your best players as a decoy is bizarre to me, but then Fagan is not a coach I rate that highly. Imagine if the Lions had someone like our coach or Collingwood's coach. They would be the best team in the comp imo. They are not winning a flag under Fagan. They need to drop him before their classy list ages out of the game.

Gunston is clearly Fagan's little pet but he is sh*t and he throws off the chemistry of their forwards. Hopefully he plays. Zorko is an underrated assassin but he's carrying injuries, is in bad form because of it, and can't seem to run out games. Darcy Fort I assume will be their sub since we're on the taller side and weirdly Fagan loves him as the sub. Obviously Neale is elite and one we need to shut down, but if Dunkley returns from injury this week he's a gun too. Dunkley is their most valuable player. They needed a hard bodied mid and they got him in Dunks. Young Ashcroft would be getting a lot of hype if he played in VIC and it should be fun to see our younger lads go up against him. Ah Chee is clearly top 22 for them but Fagan seems to hate him. It's better for us if Ah Chee does not play.

Their defence is by far their weakest line. If we give our forwards a chance we could see our mosquito fleet feast on some lion flesh. Tomahawk too. In saying that, it's not a "baby out with the bathwater" situation (to borrow the club's favourite expression) if we drop this one. If we win it though, consider me seriously impressed with our boys.

The Lions at home are the crème de la crème. Lucky cats love cream.

If you don’t have Ratugolea and Tuohy in this week…View attachment 1741165

Surely not Esava unless we have an unexpected out among SDK/J Henry/Kolo? It seems him being 'managed' was an acknowledgement by the coaches that he can't fit in the side with a full strength premiership backline. I saw Leigh Montagna on First Crack last night talking about our backline v Essendon and how it was close to back to its best. I've been a big fan of most of what Esava has brought this season and he was vital in the first half of the year when Henry, SDK and Kolo all missed games but I can't see how he fits in this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back