Preview Round 2, 2019: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:35PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 53 67.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I like the look of Joyce, but 6 frees against is pretty damning. He does tend to panic and grab an arm whenever he's under the pump.

Just having a look at Essendons side. They only named one key forward (McKernan) last week and then Stringer at CHF. Mitch Brown was named in the back half but moved forward early.

A couple of the trees were not there. A couple (grabbing of arm) were calculated risks given how much taller 2MP is. Won't come up against many taller than him. Thought Joyce was quite good. Has some pace too.

A couple of the trees were not there. A couple (grabbing of arm) were calculated risks given how much taller 2MP is. Won't come up against many taller than him. Thought Joyce was quite good. Has some pace too.

His improvement still floors me. The free kick element on Sunday wasn’t great but still understandable

You know you're struggling when even the trees don't turn up for round one...

Yeah though Joyce was decent tbh, bring Brown in for Wilkie and have Battle patrol the back 50. Dunstan is a seriously average footballer and bringing in Acres/Clark would serve us much better.

Yeah though Joyce was decent tbh, bring Brown in for Wilkie and have Battle patrol the back 50. Dunstan is a seriously average footballer and bringing in Acres/Clark would serve us much better.
Wilkie was fairly decent himself. Did some good things I can't remember him really making a mistake, which is what you want from your backs.

One of them might just be unlucky, it might come down to match ups.

I honestly we are crazy changing our planning of having one ruck. You don’t play a second ruck for 20 minutes work. That’s 100 minutes somewhere else so if Marshall plays forward which forward is out? Kent and long are the only options and I think they deserve another week. Also it can’t be about taking marks inside the 50. We had above average round one. Gold Coast with 3 marking players were below average. The 6 6 6 rule actually means you should be able to get away with less talls. It’s more crowded so smaller and mediums are more important. It can’t be about contested marking as most sides average around 10 a game the same as we had last week. It certainly can’t be about pressure. I think it’s about the past and people thinking you play 3 marking forwards and backs. Well the truth is most sides don’t do it now. And we recruited 3 smaller forwards for a reason. To hopefully play them.

I beg to differ.

We were one short in the midfield whenever the GC got the ball... Dunstan may have got 13 contested possessions but was an absolute liability when they were rebounding the ball or getting it out of a stoppage.

I watched him closely a number of times when the Suns were transitioning the ball and he barely got out of a jog. No physical pressure, no intent, no chase and tackle.

Dunstan looked like a bloke who had done absolutely zero preseason, sucking in air after a token jog after a player... not a player now in his 6th year with a number of summers under his belt.
I watched him closely a few times too and the bloke can't run both ways. He is basically a true centreman. So he is the type of player that excels with a lot of stoppages but if we were to play teams with good movement he lags behind.

I actually think if one of Battle, Wilkie or Joyce has to make way for for Brown it should be Battle.

Wilkie probably made the biggest impact with his intercepts and Joyce took the no.1 key forward but still had plenty of his own ball.

Wondering, can Wilkie play small? If so that would be my thinking.

I actually think if one of Battle, Wilkie or Joyce has to make way for for Brown it should be Battle.

Wilkie probably made the biggest impact with his intercepts and Joyce took the no.1 key forward but still had plenty of his own ball.

Wondering, can Wilkie play small? If so that would be my thinking.
Brown will obviously play because I doubt they would put him in the leadership group then not play him. Who does he play in though. Can’t see a match up. Mckernan is their tallest player but seems way to mobile for brown.

Brown will obviously play because I doubt they would put him in the leadership group then not play him. Who does he play in though. Can’t see a match up. Mckernan is their tallest player but seems way to mobile for brown.
Agreed Plugs, not an obvious opponent for him really. Just hope it’s not Wilkie that makes way- thought he showed plenty and not at all a like-for-like swap in the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly we are crazy changing our planning of having one ruck. You don’t play a second ruck for 20 minutes work. That’s 100 minutes somewhere else so if Marshall plays forward which forward is out? Kent and long are the only options and I think they deserve another week. Also it can’t be about taking marks inside the 50. We had above average round one. Gold Coast with 3 marking players were below average. The 6 6 6 rule actually means you should be able to get away with less talls. It’s more crowded so smaller and mediums are more important. It can’t be about contested marking as most sides average around 10 a game the same as we had last week. It certainly can’t be about pressure. I think it’s about the past and people thinking you play 3 marking forwards and backs. Well the truth is most sides don’t do it now. And we recruited 3 smaller forwards for a reason. To hopefully play them.

Membrey is shorter than some of the midfielders and both Bruce and Marshall are good at ground level.

Kent got a handfull of disposals with really poor disposal on Sunday. Marshall as a forward won''t get less of the ball than Marshall. Both Marshall and Bruce have the ability to drop back when we're kicking out of defence, which allows us to leave the other close to home.

My usual rule of thumb is that I want us to win the flag, every year.

When it becomes apparent that isn’t going to happen, as long as we beat the Injectors and Paperbaggers, I really DGAF whether we win ANY other games.

Those cheating, sickening, filthy, morally bankrupt sacks of human excrement can go fornicate themselves each and every day until the end of recorded time.

If I had my way, we’d herd every one of their supporters into a giant pen, and nuke that mother****er into another dimension.

If I lose friends as a result of that course; collateral damage.

Now and forever, **** EM.

Last edited:
Membrey is shorter than some of the midfielders and both Bruce and Marshall are good at ground level.

Kent got a handfull of disposals with really poor disposal on Sunday. Marshall as a forward won''t get less of the ball than Marshall. Both Marshall and Bruce have the ability to drop back when we're kicking out of defence, which allows us to leave the other close to home.
Agree Kent is the only one who could go but I think he will get another. Doubt they get him and axe him after one week. As for the height of membery that’s not the point. He plays tall and isn’t really a pressure players. And it changes the balance of the forward line. We shall see but I can’t see them playing 3 marking players. They were obviously going to when paddy was available but I believe they have had a change of mind.

I think we also need to give a little credence to how the players felt pre and post game last weekend. They spoke about how nervous they were heading into the game, given the horror of 2018 and the expectations on themselves and from the fans to not bottle it. So I think naturally the playing group would've had energy sapped just from that alone, but then post-game to hear Jack Newnes talk about how relieved they were to win the game tells me that the group had a pretty tough off-season mentally. I've got no doubt that the negativity towards them and the club had a psychological effect.

I think for all that was spoken about us, and the supporters anger towards the season prior, to come out and still hold on for a win will be huge for the group. A huge burden would be lifted from their shoulders now and I would honestly expect us to put in a much better performance on Saturday. Get the first game out of the way, take a deep breath, and focus on this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if we look like we have more run and our ball movement remains more consistent, too. It's hard to compartmentalise what has been going on inside and outside the four walls of the club, especially for a young group.

We will be better for the run. No doubt.

When it becomes apparent that isn’t going to happen, as long as we beat the Injectors and Paperbaggers, I really DGAF whether we win ANY other games.

Those cheating, sickening, filthy, morally bankrupt sacks of human excrement can go fornicate themselves each and every day until the end of recorded time.

If I had my way, we’d herd every one of their supporters into a giant pen, and nuke that mother****** into another dimension.

If I lose friends as a result; collateral damage.

Hypothetical: A beautiful Essendon-supporting woman falls madly in love with you and wants to love you forever, and gets you a job at her Carlton-supporting dad's business, where he'll pay you $250,000pa to spend your time testing beer and going on research trips in the Mediterranean.

What do you do, Barrels?

What. Do. You. Do?

Hypothetical: A beautiful Essendon-supporting woman falls madly in love with you and wants to love you forever, and gets you a job at her Carlton-supporting dad's business, where he'll pay you $250,000pa to spend your time testing beer and going on research trips in the Mediterranean.

What do you do, Barrels?

What. Do. You. Do?
Simple. They convert, they’re golden.

Or, marry her, spend years working the Dad to take over the business while assisting him in partaking liberally in whatever vice is likely to kill him fastest, then once I have full control over the business, divorce the wench and laugh all way off into the sunset.

Otherwise, see above.

I think we also need to give a little credence to how the players felt pre and post game last weekend. They spoke about how nervous they were heading into the game, given the horror of 2018 and the expectations on themselves and from the fans to not bottle it. So I think naturally the playing group would've had energy sapped just from that alone, but then post-game to hear Jack Newnes talk about how relieved they were to win the game tells me that the group had a pretty tough off-season mentally. I've got no doubt that the negativity towards them and the club had a psychological effect.

I think for all that was spoken about us, and the supporters anger towards the season prior, to come out and still hold on for a win will be huge for the group. A huge burden would be lifted from their shoulders now and I would honestly expect us to put in a much better performance on Saturday. Get the first game out of the way, take a deep breath, and focus on this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if we look like we have more run and our ball movement remains more consistent, too. It's hard to compartmentalise what has been going on inside and outside the four walls of the club, especially for a young group.

We will be better for the run. No doubt.

if we can get a win against the bombers it gives a real good platform to attack the new couple of games

if we somehow manage to wrestle a win against a much improved freo side, that makes 3 from 3. funny things happen after a win interstate and snagging 3 wins in a row.

confidence can build. belief can grow.

if we can get a win against the bombers it gives a real good platform to attack the new couple of games

if we somehow manage to wrestle a win against a much improved freo side, that makes 3 from 3. funny things happen after a win interstate and snagging 3 wins in a row.

confidence can build. belief can grow.
Yes and despite the overwhelming negativity, you'd be silly to think we aren't a chance against the Bombers who look terribly out of form and without Joe Daniher. If we can bring in Brown for Joyce, Clark for Dunstan and perhaps Marshall for Pierce we will be much more of a threat in the air, quicker through the middle, and more stout in defense. I have a good feeling about Saturday. I think we will give it a big shake.

If I had my way, we’d herd every one of their supporters into a giant pen, and nuke that mother****** into another dimension.

If I lose friends as a result of that course; collateral damage.

tenor-75.gif

Teach me master

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back