Preview Round 2, 2019: Essendon v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 30th March, 4:35PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Bombers

Votes: 26 32.9%
  • Saints

Votes: 53 67.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Kent is lucky he's the highest profile ring in we have. He was probably our least effective player with someone breathing down his neck. Young deserves a crack off his VFL game.
Gringo you can’t play a guy off one good game. Body of work counts. And why don’t others who played deserve a crack. And we know they won’t make to many changes

Preuss wanted an opportunity to play senior footy..
With the changing of the rules the importance of ruckwork was going to go to another level..
Our club had tunnel vision for a banged up Hannebery & publicly it appeared we showed zip interest in chasing Preuss..
Preuss is clearly a better option than Pierce & Longer as I see Marshall as more a KF/2nd Ruck..
Melbourne have declared there preference is to play one ruckman only..
The manager of Preuss should hang his head in shame, because I would've done my utmost to sell him to a club like the Saints..
At the same time whoever was behind the decision at our club, NOT to chase a recognized Ruckman should slam the door after they leave..
He is bit to old fashioned. He is just ok which makes slightly better than ours. We would better just rucking marshall and he will give a contest in the ruck but will get plenty around the ground

According to the injury report yesty, he's actually been back in full training for 4 weeks now, and once he's got another week of it under his belt, he'll be declared fit to resume playing.

I loved hearing that for two reasons:

1- It suggests that we might not be rushing those who are or were injured back as soon as we have in the past, which is great, if so.

This time last year he likewise got injured just before the season, but instead of making him do a really solid block of training like this year, before letting him play again, we rushed him back into playing when he was way underdone, and it resulted in him being much less competitive in the ruck contests than the previous year, and thus very ordinary overall (so like Pierce is now!), and he never really got going from there all year.

2- If the club thinks that Pierce is the better ruck option out of him and Roma, then we need Billy back and in form A-f'ing-sap, because Pierce, on the evidence of his last 3 senior AFL games, is nowhere near AFL standard. He makes Billy look like Sandi.

We were also hearing some really encouraging reports on how Billy was going (and also looking, fitness-wise) in match sim prior to him doing his hammy (and Gringo said he was looking slim when he passed him on Sunday), so it may just be that Billy's in the best nick of his career (not hard!), and as such ready to get back to at least 2017 form (when he got in the coaches votes 3 or 4 times and was 2nd in the comp for hitouts per game), if not better.

How many marks did he take forward and back. Surely that is huge role for a ruck. We saw how hit outs worked this week. No bearing on any results.

With the changing of the rules the importance of ruckwork was going to go to another level..
Our club had tunnel vision for a banged up Hannebery & publicly it appeared we showed zip interest in chasing Preuss..
Preuss is clearly a better option than Pierce & Longer as I see Marshall as more a KF/2nd Ruck..
The manager of Preuss should hang his head in shame, because I would've done my utmost to sell him to a club like the Saints..
At the same time whoever was behind the decision at our club, NOT to chase a recognized Ruckman should slam the door after they leave..
At least give marshall a go. He offers more than pierce and longer. Dinosaurs are extinct.

Marshall for Pierce
Brown for Joyce
Acres for Dunstan

All selections make the team stronger. Wanted to fit in Clark but I can't. Savage, Kent, D Mac and Sinclair on notice.
Except that they don't

The view of Acres on here is misguided on the belief of what he may become - not what he actually is at the moment.

If you want him to play Dunstan's position of inside mid it just doesn't stack up.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=3935&fid1=P&fopt1=2018&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

If you want to drop Dunstan and then play Ross as a more inside mid then you lose out on the outside.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=3663&fid1=P&fopt1=2018&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

If you're going to bring him in its probably in place of Sinclair

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=4102&fid1=P&fopt1=2018&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

Alright, lets get to it against these bombers who will come out firing!

Want to see continued aggression from Madman Parker and Long up fwd

think the only possible change is Brown in for who knows, but Richo could go unchanged seen as we won the game.
I vow not to selection melt unless for some reason Madman or Long are dropped, who's with me??

All I know is that for all the hype and after nearly 5 years in the system, Acres is still ordinary and is not an inside mid.

Opinions

I have faith in Acres , reckon he will be the one who takes it to the next level, has something great sportsman have time

Yep he needs to prove it but not too key board warriors

In the VFL last year, the best 3 ruckman were Preuss, Pierce and Longer with Pierce being one of the only ruckman to beat Preuss.

If we had traded for him, we would now have 4 VFL quality ruckman on our list and the same ruck issues.

Gringo you can’t play a guy off one good game. Body of work counts. And why don’t others who played deserve a crack. And we know they won’t make to many changes
Well Kent didn't do much except set up two goals with pinpoint 50 metre passes, and kick a clutch goal that won the game.

Delist

Except that they don't

The view of Acres on here is misguided on the belief of what he may become - not what he actually is at the moment.

If you want him to play Dunstan's position of inside mid it just doesn't stack up.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=3935&fid1=P&fopt1=2018&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

If you want to drop Dunstan and then play Ross as a more inside mid then you lose out on the outside.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=3663&fid1=P&fopt1=2018&fid2=P&fopt2=2018

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...pid2=4102&fid1=P&fopt1=2018&fid2=P&fopt2=2018
Opinions

I have faith in Acres , reckon he will be the one who takes it to the next level, has something great sportsman have time

Yep he needs to prove it but not too key board warriors
Both of these views I subscribe to.

I think Acres can still come good as Verdun says, but as Pebbles posts, he is not a replacement for Dunstan, currently.

In the future when he has come good, maybe, still I reckon he is best suited either outside mid, on the wing and rotating from either position forward.

Except that they don't

I agree with you here mostly.

From an eye text POV Acres plays more outside then dunstan, but I’m surprised that Dunstan only averages one more clearance per game then Acres. Acres spends less time on the inside as well.

Do you give up that clearance for Acres ability to get more of the ball (recon Acres averaged almost 30 before injury last year) on the outside and break the lines.

They arn’t like for like, but who brings more to the team overall? I don’t have the answer, but I don’t think those stats make it as clear cut as you’ve suggested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except that they don't

It is hard to compare numbers when Dunstan has played every game of his career as an inside mid and Acres hasn't been give that opportunity though.

Maybe the coaches have a good reason for this, but I'd at least like to see him given an opportunity to play that role.

Funnily enough though, despite him mostly being played on the outside, he only averages one less contested possession and 1.4 less clearances than Dunstan so I'm not really sure you can say the numbers don't stack up.

Last edited:

He's playing off a season of good state level games. That's how he got drafted. But i guess we won't know unless he plays another good state level game.

I agree with you here mostly.

From an eye text POV Acres plays more outside then dunstan, but I’m surprised that Dunstan only averages one more clearance per game then Acres. Acres spends less time on the inside as well.

Do you give up that clearance for Acres ability to get more of the ball (recon Acres averaged almost 30 before injury last year) on the outside and break the lines.

They arn’t like for like, but who brings more to the team overall? I don’t have the answer, but I don’t think those stats make it as clear cut as you’ve suggested.
Everyone reckons he starred at the start of last year but in reality he started the year with a 30 but then went 21,19,22,29, 19.

I agree that he looks to have a much higher upside than Dunstan and I hope he shows it this year. He steps up and we can then afford to use Ross more inside but ATM Acres is more a W/OM/HF

It is hard to compare numbers when Dunstan has played every game of his career as an inside mid and Acres hasn't been give that opportunity though.

Maybe the coaches have a good reason for this, but I'd at least like to see him given an opportunity to play that role.

Funnily enough though, despite him mostly being played on the outside, he only averages one less contested possession and 1.4 less clearances than Dunstan so I'm not really sure you can say the numbers don't stack up.

Primarily because he's failed most times to read the contest, denoting that he's likely back foot and slow when he needs to go hard yeah?

A lot to be said that if you view a player as your lead up run both ways type, and they look to excel at that, why would you want to change them to be piled on restricted "just to try" if indications are it'll fail spectacularly? The only thing then you end up doing is potentially ruining a career.

Alright, lets get to it against these bombers who will come out firing!

Want to see continued aggression from Madman Parker and Long up fwd

think the only possible change is Brown in for who knows, but Richo could go unchanged seen as we won the game.
I vow not to selection melt unless for some reason Madman or Long are dropped, who's with me??
I also think we will go unchanged.
Three reasons:

1. Injury aside, the team won and I think the selection panel will give all players (underperforming) at least one more crack.
2. Send a message to those in the team, and those out of the team. Boost your performance if you want to get into the team. Boost your performance if you want to stay in the team. Vital for lifting that bar going forward.
3. There is no obvious match up for Brown - maybe McKernan. Trade off suitability for likely opponent against experience. Let Joyce have another crack this week. He is a better match for McKernan.

Gws hunted the ball in numbers which forced a slow bombers team to chace which showed up there pea heart. Is blake a better runner then dunstan ? Muh

I've watched blake in his Sandy games (4) And to my untrained eye he is a half back flanker without question.

Clark is Dunstan's replacement. It won't happen this week, but eventually. He can win his own ball, and spread, something Dunstan can't do. Hopefully by next year our centre square will look something like: Marshal, Stuv, Clark, Steele, (Gresh and Ross rotating through).

All I know is that for all the hype and after nearly 5 years in the system, Acres is still ordinary and is not an inside mid.

Your opinion Joffaboy , have different one .
First 2 years needed to get body AFL , nothing earth shattering there 95 % of players need to do it.
Blake all his junior career was midfield, as playing ruckrover role, during his time under Richardson
never been given that role resting forward in real games
Interestingly Dermie made comments several years ago watching Blake playing that very role in practice
game , saying gee this could be his role in the future.
Unfortunately Richardson has consistently played him out of position in my opinion, probably his next
coach be that StKilda or another club will give him that opportunity.

Pretty philosophical about it these days as has been consistent over last 5 years , not developing players ,
again this my opinion , to playing kids in positions to succeed rather than fail.

Didn't we chase the west coast guy??

He's playing off a season of good state level games. That's how he got drafted. But i guess we won't know unless he plays another good state level game.
Yes he would have drafted on good state league games but an educated guess says he struggled in intraclub games as he didn’t get in the 28 who played. I gather you want him to play so who comes in and out this week. If you don’t want him to play then what is the reason

Your opinion Joffaboy , have different one .
First 2 years needed to get body AFL , nothing earth shattering there 95 % of players need to do it.
Blake all his junior career was midfield, as playing ruckrover role, during his time under Richardson
never been given that role resting forward in real games
Interestingly Dermie made comments several years ago watching Blake playing that very role in practice
game , saying gee this could be his role in the future.
Unfortunately Richardson has consistently played him out of position in my opinion, probably his next
coach be that StKilda or another club will give him that opportunity.

Pretty philosophical about it these days as has been consistent over last 5 years , not developing players ,
again this my opinion , to playing kids in positions to succeed rather than fail.

So you most in the midfield. Unfortunately you can’t do that. It’s so easy if you look at like that but the coaches have to pick the best side they can which means certain players who have ability to play elsewhere do. Should lonie be in the middle. That’s where he played his best footy as a junior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back