AFLW Round 2 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't have any idea of other sports but to me the amount of ACL's is huge and there is certainly a massive difference between the AFL and AFLW.
There is no dispute that there is a significant difference between men's and women's comp in the rate of knee injuries, like there is a difference in cardiac arrest rates, breast cancer rates, dementia rates, prostate cancer rates.

But this is a physiological difference, not an AFLW crises, and there will always be a difference in the rates, short of not allowing women to play in the AFLW, or changing the rules so that you cannot change direction.

The reason I mentioned other sports is because some pundits from these sports, like to point to raw ACL numbers per season, to suggest that women shouldn't play Australian football and instead should play their, safer, sport.

However, the risk a women takes on playing AFLW is not defined by the total number of ACLs, but by the number, per player, per unit of time played.

On that basis, there is no AFLW specific ACL crises. AFL may actually be less risky than netball for instance.

Netball has been played for many many decades by women, with a knee injury rate similar to or higher than footy. Why has there never been a knee injury CRISES in netball?

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

There is no dispute that there is a significant difference between men's and women's comp in the rate of knee injuries, like there is a difference in cardiac arrest rates, breast cancer rates, dementia rates, prostate cancer rates.

But this is a physiological difference, not an AFLW crises, and there will always be a difference in the rates, short of not allowing women to play in the AFLW, or changing the rules so that you cannot change direction.

The reason I mentioned other sports is because some pundits from these sports, like to point to raw ACL numbers per season, to suggest that women shouldn't play Australian football and instead should play their, safer, sport.

However, the risk a women takes on playing AFLW is not defined by the total number of ACLs, but by the number, per player, per unit of time played.

On that basis, there is no AFLW specific ACL crises. AFL may actually be less risky than netball for instance.

Netball has been played for many many decades by women, with a knee injury rate similar to or higher than footy. Why has there never been a knee injury CRISES in netball?

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Thanks for the explanation.

Most AFL / AFLW followers wouldn't know the breakdown of injuries per sport. Personally I found it hard watching AFLW because whenever a player went down most of the time you just assumed it was an ACL. Ideally it improves as players become more professional and their bodies adapt to the rigours of the game.

Interestingly my daughter plays netball and I would have assumed that because it's such a stop start game that the major danger would be snapping an achilles.

Some may think the point to emphasise from the Bulldogs' first two rounds is the evident lack of quality in the 24-29yo or even 30yo+ age range. Not saying that isn't true, but it's certainly not the new red flag. This is:

Deanna Berry (26y,4m; pick no.9 in 2016 draft)
YearAFGDMTCLRKH
64.2​
0.6​
15.6​
2.2​
3.2​
3.6​
11​
4.6​
33.5​
0​
9.5​
0.5​
1.5​
2.5​
6​
3.5​

Jess Fitzgerald (22y,6m; pick no.2 in 2020 draft)
YearAFGDMTCLRKH
64.1​
0.1​
15.4​
2.4​
4​
1.9​
10.3​
5.1​
29​
0​
9.5​
0​
0.5​
1​
8​
1.5​

Isabella Grant (22y,11m; pick no. 45 [F/D] in 2019 draft)
YearAFGDMTCLRKH
47.7​
0.1​
10.5​
4.3​
1.8​
0.3​
7.9​
2.6​
23​
0​
6.5​
0.5​
1​
0.5​
5​
1.5​

Rylie Wilcox (19y,9m; pick no.22 in 2022 draft)
YearAFGDMTCLRKH
52.2​
0.2​
12.4​
2.9​
2.3​
0.8​
8.1​
4.3​
28​
0​
8​
1​
1.5​
1​
4.5​
3.5​

The 26-year-old "captain", and a bunch of their most promising u23 players from recent seasons, have gone backwards sharply. If the new "coach" can't even get established quality to maintain form, you might suspect the chances of her being able to adequately develop raw 18yo draftees are slim.

Early days, they've only played 2 games!

2 games against fellow 2023 cellar dwellers. Typically good opportunities to boost your stats, but nearly all the numbers are massively down so far... even tackles. For the Dogs to just not lose more ground on the field, they needed those players to increase their output if anything, to compensate for the departures of Lamb, Newton, Moody, etc.

Last edited:

Melbourne without Lauren Pearce for a while starting today (think it's safe to blame that on Tayla's Olympic Odyssey, too) puts a no-excuses onus on Tahlia Hickie to dominate from the first siren, assuming the Lions' team bus can make it to the middle of Woop Woop by 11:04:59. She wasn't good last week--one might even say the effort was at Pathetic Pittman levels, which is pretty hard on an individual, but she's gonna have to live with that.

And a broadcast/coverage note for those planning to watch Coll-Haw on Fox Footy today: Be prepared to switch over to 506 at 2.30pm if you insist on seeing the 4th quarter, because the main channel will cut away to the more bone-crunching 50-minute preview of the Syd-GWS men's final.

Melbourne without Lauren Pearce for a while starting today (think it's safe to blame that on Tayla's Olympic Odyssey, too) puts a no-excuses onus on Tahlia Hickie to dominate from the first siren, assuming the Lions' team bus can make it to the middle of Woop Woop by 11:04:59. She wasn't good last week--one might even say the effort was at Pathetic Pittman levels, which is pretty hard on an individual, but she's gonna have to live with that.

And a broadcast/coverage note for those planning to watch Coll-Haw on Fox Footy today: Be prepared to switch over to 506 at 2.30pm if you insist on seeing the 4th quarter, because the main channel will cut away to the more bone-crunching 50-minute preview of the Syd-GWS men's final.

A preview that will undoubtedly focus on the winners of the first 2 finals no doubt too!

Might even have Champion Data preview it & analyse the game, without a hint of irony that their “best team all year” got absolutely thumped last night if you consider that general play stats evened up only late when the game was over.

Anderson in cracking form. Will be on 3 votes for MVP minimum and may even steal 1-2 against North. Looking like she’ll probably poll 3 in majority of Brisbane wins

Correctly tipped Brisbane based on what I thought they'd bring to the contest. But ultimately it was a match largely dictated by what Melbourne didn't bring: their brains. A performance which truly lived up to the shit timeslot. Can't understand the lack of intent to move the ball with speed for so much of the match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting battle at Vic Park. Collingwood not out of it but also at risk of getting well and truly blown away. They are kinda just holding on but still giving a pretty good account of themselves except for accuracy in front of goal again.

Goal taken off Maddy Prespakis due to her moving off the line after the siren. Umpire never called play on :drunk:
Hmm I'm not watching that game atm, but Tyanna Smith kicked a behind after the HT siren last week from a set shot and it wasn't paid--could only have been for the same reason, though I didn't hear it mentioned on the broadcast.

Thank god this is the real important issue being cracked down on by the umpires.

Hmm I'm not watching that game atm, but Tyanna Smith kicked a behind after the HT siren last week from a set shot and it wasn't paid--could only have been for the same reason, though I didn't hear it mentioned on the broadcast.

Thank god this is the real important issue being cracked down on by the umpires.

The replay showed that the umpire on the mark made no signal, and Prespakis clearly did not move off her line. Something clearly happened though because one of the boundary umpires was signalling no goal?? I couldn't see any reason why.

The only thing I can think is that maybe she exceeded her 30 seconds of time? Otherwise it seemed like an obvious goal.

Coll clearly taken a step back. Their forward line has gone from bad to worse. No chance for finals.

Hawks women doing an excellent impression of the men's team without the slow start.

Coll clearly taken a step back. Their forward line has gone from bad to worse. No chance for finals.

Hawks women doing an excellent impression of the men's team without the slow start.

They are a huge disappointment the Pies. Didn’t think they’d be contenders but thought competitive at least

They are a huge disappointment the Pies. Didn’t think they’d be contenders but thought competitive at least
They were never going to be good. Lost players from last year and injuries this year (Morris-Dalton).

Potentially though it's a case of the Hawks being far better than others thought. Smashed both preseason hit outs and now both regular season games. Two minutes might hurt though - Sheriff and McDonough (who is a massive breakout star) gone down.

Fleming with 544m gained and 6 tackles, has to be her best game to date (arguably ruined by Kelli Underwood's commentary), particularly factoring in the circumstances.

A couple more performances like that on the road from her (against any of StK, Geel, Frem, Rich) should see the Hawks get to 7 wins (likely enough for finals) with usual disclaimer about injuries to other players in effect.

They were never going to be good. Lost players from last year and injuries this year (Morris-Dalton).

Potentially though it's a case of the Hawks being far better than others thought. Smashed both preseason hit outs and now both regular season games. Two minutes might hurt though - Sheriff and McDonough (who is a massive breakout star) gone down.
Sheriff hurts, aine is structural, although she's a breakout. Expect someone like butterworth to be given a go in her position.

The good thing (if there is onee) with sheriff out, we have tilley who can go there.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 2 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back