AFLW Round 2 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheriff hurts, aine is structural, although she's a breakout. Expect someone like butterworth to be given a go in her position.

The good thing (if there is onee) with sheriff out, we have tilley who can go there.
Sheriff was forward - mid so assuming Bates comes back then no problems in mids. Forward line will take a hit though.

New coach has been outstanding with structural moves, system and general improvement of the entire squad.

Good times to be a Hawks supporter.

Sheriff was forward - mid so assuming Bates comes back then no problems in mids. Forward line will take a hit though.

New coach has been outstanding with structural moves, system and general improvement of the entire squad.

Good times to be a Hawks supporter.
See, I disagree with forwards (I'm friends with aine so it hurts me seeing her hurt)

She's playing a role whilst also kicking goals. I do think we will be able to cover her loss

And yes, Dan has been doing an amazing job. He has them playing with freedom.
He's the AFLWs Sam Mitchell, whilst bec had the clarkos about her

GC v Carlton just now effectively decided by the black box of the new ball-tracking data. Disappointing not to know how it was confirmed that the Carlton score should be a goal when the goal umpire in best position was pretty confident to call it touched on the line (and from the limited angle on the TV broadcast, that looked to be the right call) - will be interesting to see whether we get more of an insight into how that call gets made or not.

A game of millimetres in Mackay. Carlton's sealer delivered via microprocessor, and Single's shot to snatch it back really didn't miss by much either.

Some of the outnumber situations the Blues created inside 50 during Q4 without even resulting in a shot would've made it a shocker of a loss for them too. But for the Suns, two home games vs non-finalists from last year, two losses, disastrous start to the season.

Pretty tough opening fortnight to decipher for both the Tigers and Giants. Definitely some obvious positives, particularly in comparison to last year. But so far, neither team looking anywhere near consistent enough to be top 8 worthy.

GC v Carlton just now effectively decided by the black box of the new ball-tracking data. Disappointing not to know how it was confirmed that the Carlton score should be a goal when the goal umpire in best position was pretty confident to call it touched on the line (and from the limited angle on the TV broadcast, that looked to be the right call) - will be interesting to see whether we get more of an insight into how that call gets made or not.

Agreed. I won’t die on this hill, as I don’t know enough about the technology, but I think it was strange & wouldn’t 100% just blindly believe it was the right call.

Really the AFL should just get just even 10% more serious about AFLW and have a goalline cam for touched on the line cases

Anybody heard why Molloy isn't playing today? No info anywhere in the state-controlled AFLW media about it. #coverup

Safe to say, generally speaking, this round has been a steep drop off in quality from the games last week. Hoping Freo and Adelaide buck the trend.

Btw, meant to say about the Richmond win, that's 4 in a row H2H vs the Giants now. Might have some more streak-related stats coming later today.

Anybody heard why Molloy isn't playing today? No info anywhere in the state-controlled AFLW media about it. #coverup

Safe to say, generally speaking, this round has been a steep drop off in quality from the games last week. Hoping Freo and Adelaide buck the trend.

Btw, meant to say about the Richmond win, that's 4 in a row H2H vs the Giants now. Might have some more streak-related stats coming later today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For North Melbourne, that match echoed the loss to Brisbane early last season (much more so than the draw v Richmond at the end of 2022 S7 H&A), which btw was also Bruton's first game back from injury, oddly enough. Very soft and fumbly performance but somehow jumped out to a decent undeserved lead before being predictably run down.

Small difference being the matter of 2 premiership consolation points this time. I guess the other silver lining is it shouldn't be too hard to figure out who O'Loughlin comes in for next week...

Geelong avoids going 0-7 v NM, which definitely feels fair, as it would've been the single worst H2H losing streak in the comp. But here's a potentially surprising bit of trivia:

Who is the hottest team in the competition right now? Well, it's gotta be the Saints, who have won 4 on the trot! Hawthorn are the only other team to have won their last 2, though one of Frem and Adel will join them in the next 80 mins (unless they also play a draw).

Most drawn games
3 Gold Coast (from 49 games)
3 Carlton (71)
2 Port Adelaide (22)
2 North Melb. (63)
2 GWS Giants (69)
2 Fremantle (73)
2 Brisbane (81)
1 Richmond (49)
1 Geelong (59)
1 W. Bulldogs (70)
1 Adelaide (81)

Most games without a draw
78 Melbourne
74 Collingwood
47 St Kilda
47 West Coast
24 Sydney
23 Essendon
22 Hawthorn

Great news to wrap up the weekend, guys: Looks like we just set a new AFLW round attendance record with 115,422* piling through the turnstiles (source: same people who count A-League crowds). Well done, everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news to wrap up the weekend, guys: Looks like we just set a new AFLW round attendance record with 115,422* piling through the turnstiles (source: same people who count A-League crowds). Well done, everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent number, although it's a shame they saw one of the poorer quality rounds of football I can remember from AFLW.

Some reasonably solid crowds this round:

Just over 3000 at Arden Street, possibly the least spectator friendly venue given it's lack of seating as well as inclement weather potentially putting people off.

Around 2700 at Moorabbin, again with inclement weather putting people off

Yet to be confirmed but apparently over 3000 at Victoria Park on Saturday. Was at the game and had a great vibe.

Around 2700 at Fremantle.oval and over 2000 at Minerals Resource Rent Park.

1534 at Casey Fields. I get their tie in with Casey, but Melbourne aren't doing themselves any favours playing games out there. Need to look at shifting as many games as they can to Ikon Park. As one of the stronger AFLW teams they could be pulling 3000+ regularly.

997 at Punt Road seems low, until you consider capacity is capped at 2000 due to the Jack Dyer Stand being off limits and with GWS not bringing a large amount of fans.

Weather plays a huge part in attendance for AFLW compared to the mens game considering the often limited shelter (excluding Ikon Park, GMHBA and People First stadiums).

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 2 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back