Round 2 trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to have the same system as the EPL fantasy where you get to scrap your whole team and start again once during the season. Would def be doing it this week.

Anyway my trades are simple:

Whitfield to Viney
Byrnes to Kennedy (WCE)

1) We now have use it or lose it trades, so it no longer matters whether you want to stick fast or rashly react - both are acceptable options. They may not be successful, but they now do exist as potential options over the whole season.

Now I'm not saying I'm going to do any of this, just explaining a contrary view... I'm a bit like that..... :p

Quality post, sir. Dangerfield and Bolton will be gone from my team next week, for all the reasons you have described ... and one more - I can't wait to make 2 sideways trades in round 2, after years of having to conserve them for more sensible uses. It probably makes this thread more entertaining - in other years it was surely just people posting "no trades".

To answer Les Norton's question - I got Dangerfield as a speculative pick, mainly because I liked his early draw. In a 24-trade world I would not have picked him, but with 44-trades he was a "see how he goes" pick. Given the difficulties he had last week handling the tag, I'm happy to jump straight off. If he kills it next week, well "that's life" as the French say.

While I agree with you for the most part Gingy, there are a few potential complicating factors to the conventional wisdom.

1) We now have use it or lose it trades, so it no longer matters whether you want to stick fast or rashly react - both are acceptable options. They may not be successful, but they now do exist as potential options over the whole season.

2) Ideally you want to use the 2 available at the end of Round 2 to bring in cash cow rookies prior to Round 3, which means that if you want to change underperforming premiums, now is the time to do it.

3) Along the same lines, if you wait until after Round 3 - to see if Danger can learn to cope with a tag, he will have either risen, held or decreased in value. Based upon a very small sample, you'd suggest he could lose a lot of money. Who wants to do that ?

4) Combining points 2 and 3 together, you run the risk of cancelling out your gains if you hold Danger and he doesn't lift.

5) Using Danger as an example, opposition coaches will have spent a lot of time working out how best to combat him, it may now require Danger/Adelaide to work out how to get him free again. This may take some time.

In my circumstances, I have had the following players underperform: Goddard, Heppell, Danger, Lucas, Stevens, Whitfield (all 3 to a lesser extent), Z Smith and Bolton. Out of these the worst performing of the worst performing are: Danger, Smith and Bolton.

I can either swap Cox into the Rucks, which leaves me 300K to spend in the forwards - not sure on real value there at that price. Cloke, Schulz and Monfries all look good at sub 400K, but again on the one sample for the year. I could upgrade Smith, but even a simple upgrade to Jamar (76 pts compared to 47) would cost me 30K. To do that I either need to downgrade someone like Whitfield/Stevens/Lucas (ie. Whitfield will increase in value even if he gets 3 * 47 scores), or a premium. The premium is likely to drop in value, so not only do I retain the price rise for these rookies/rookie priced players, but I also prevent a drop in price from a premium.

Based upon the limited data, good midfield choices are: Swallow, Jack, ROK, Murphy, Barlow (only looking around Dangers price). Only ROK and Barlow would free up enough funds to upgrade Smith to Jamar. Up front, swapping Bolton to Cloke or Schulz would net me another 50K - 70K. Combined with Danger to Barlow (for example), this would allow me to upgrade Smith in Round 3 to either Kruezer or Goldstein (dependent on how they go in Round 2), as well as pick up a bubble rookie (if required).

To do such a large upgrade in a single week would require (for example) me to drop Goddard for Pearce (Freo) and then upgrade Smith to Kreuzer. If this happens after Week 2, I won't be able to change any rookies if I miss them. So there is risk involved.

Now I'm not saying I'm going to do any of this, just explaining a contrary view... I'm a bit like that..... :p

Good post. While I agree with the logic for the most part, I'm inclined to give Danger another week before either A) Upgrading to a proven premo like Pendles or Murphy or B) Downgrading to a mid rookie on the bubble after Rd2. With the latter I'd want to see 2 very solid scores and named for Rd3 before before cutting Danger. Having said that, if he pulls out a 120 in Rd2 he won't be going anywhere.

I will be making 2 structure fix trades regardless. I'm reasonably happy with my defence & Rucks. Won't be trading any of those guys unless Hanley gets rubbed out.

My main concern is obviously my midfield, which considering I only had 1 rookie starting on the field was abysmal this week. And the other being what to do about the F6 position. Dwyer, Neade & Maccaffer scored less than 140 between them. No way I or anyone really can afford to start any of those guys on the field again.

Apart from a bunch of terrible scores, the non selection I regret most is not picking Rowe for my F8 position. Especially since Casboult spudded it up more than any one else in Rd1 and Rowe is now almost a certainty to replace him. It would also have allowed me to move Cox to the forwards for the next game and bring in Leuey for one of Embley/Lucas whilst downgrading the other to Wines to generate 100k for Rd2 trades.

So my thinking ATM is

Macaffer > Rowe = + 24k
Embley > Leunenberger = 31k
+Bank 9k
=64k (for Rd3 trades)

Rd 3...Lucas to Wines on the bubble & upgrade one of Danger or Greene if either spud it up again next week. Otherwise will have 160k+ for some other upgrade trades..

Quality post, sir. Dangerfield and Bolton will be gone from my team next week, for all the reasons you have described ... and one more - I can't wait to make 2 sideways trades in round 2, after years of having to conserve them for more sensible uses. It probably makes this thread more entertaining - in other years it was surely just people posting "no trades".

To answer Les Norton's question - I got Dangerfield as a speculative pick, mainly because I liked his early draw. In a 24-trade world I would not have picked him, but with 44-trades he was a "see how he goes" pick. Given the difficulties he had last week handling the tag, I'm happy to jump straight off. If he kills it next week, well "that's life" as the French say.

Another component, which I forgot to mention last night was the fact that with the additional trades, I can pick Danger back up again if required, as his price starts to rise again....

Another component, which I forgot to mention last night was the fact that with the additional trades, I can pick Danger back up again if required, as his price starts to rise again....

Exactly. Further than that, I think trading premiums and mid-pricers to supplement cash cowing as a means of making money/upgrading has become a valid option. Obviously this doesn't apply to all of them - the likes of Swan/Ablett/Franklin/Gibbs will be permanent fixtures in my side.

One-midpricer fluffed it I thought, showed me he's not going to win a hardball to save his life.

So out he goes tonight, hopefully. Wanna see the back of him.

Trade 1. Lucas > Moloney
Trade 2. Currie > 89k Ruck (We needed to see a poor performance from Goldy to have any hope of seeing Currie soon).

Only other big change for me this week will be done with Dual positioning. (Cox > Rucks. Blicavs > Bench. Macaffer/Dwyer > Starting 22

Was thinking about Lucas > Crouch and Currie > Leuenberger. But I can afford to hold off getting those two as they will be on the bubble a week later than everyone else.

Have my trades all set for next week

embely ----> M jones/crouch
longer -----> kruz

Start with Wines, Viney and Jaegar
What did emberly do wrong?

He scored quite awesome for limited Vest affected time (41 ish points from roughly a qtr of football, i would say that is up there with the best)

he should not score the vest again

But you go ahead and trade him out champ, just cause you look down your points and feel aggrieved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuh one of many capable midfielders @ the GC. Doesn't look the same player as 2/3 years ago.

What did emberly do wrong?

He scored quite awesome for limited Vest affected time (41 ish points from roughly a qtr of football, i would say that is up there with the best)

he should not score the vest again

But you go ahead and trade him out champ, just cause you look down your points and feel aggrieved.

Main reason is that i am concerned about him getting the vest again
viney and embley will likely avg similar (maybe 8-10 points difference
and the cash i gets allows me to upgrade longer to a premium ruck in kruz/griffin/goldy

i feel ill have a better balanced team if i do those trades

I was quite happy to score over 2000 points :)

We both thought that last week didn't we?

I admit I thought he would tonne up or at least come close to it...130+ would be some sort of effort against the Swans though. They're pretty hard to score against at the best of times. Anyway, I didn't pick Greene for the opening round, let's put it that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 2 trades

Remove this Banner Ad

Back