Review Round 3 v Hawthorn at Thomas Farms Oval (Unley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Kelly having a good game. Makes a difference when she's on song.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Wouldn't say horrible, but not close to her 2023 form. Not sure if she's just been worked out, or if there is something about our gameplan that isn't suiting her this year.
Yes perhaps unfair as i’m comparing her game to what she was producing last year, she’s got the ball a bit more today but her decision making has been awful, especially her disposal by foot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know if this has been mentioned, but what's going on with the jumper/shorts clash in this game. On the long shots, I've got zero idea of who's got the ball. Aren't white/dark shorts a compulsory combination in matches?
No white shorts in AFLW. Hawthorn should've worn a more gold predominant guernsey. I was having trouble when the camera panned out as both teams had dark guernseys.

Thought Stevie-Lee turned back the clock today. She was chasing, tackling, evading and playing well.
Martin was also a lot better than previous weeks. Attacked the contests more and just got more of the ball in general.
Charlton was eased into that game with low TOG and then played forward to replace EJ. Hopefully she pulls up well and can play a full game in midfield.

Munyard/Smith on the chopping block.
How far away is Abbie Ballard?

Thought Stevie-Lee turned back the clock today. She was chasing, tackling, evading and playing well.
Martin was also a lot better than previous weeks. Attacked the contests more and just got more of the ball in general.
Charlton was eased into that game with low TOG and then played forward to replace EJ. Hopefully she pulls up well and can play a full game in midfield.

Munyard/Smith on the chopping block.
How far away is Abbie Ballard?

Agreed on SLT, one of her best games in a while. Hard to see Smith holding her spot.

Ballard played in the scrimmage this week. She was interviewed before the game, seemed to indicate she is maybe two weeks away from returning to the main side.

Trip from the West looked like it took it out of them as the game went on, but done more than enough damage through the 2nd quarter and first half of the 3rd.

Still room for improvement especially if they get that intensity drop off that’s still appearing in games sorted.

Review;

Positives:

Marking the standout again - 60 marks again like last week including 6 contested.​
Ponter was used so much better by Clarke today and thus was able to stuff the stat sheet, stayed around more contests higher up the ground rather than always drifting forward post-CBA, kicked the 5 but her work higher up the ground almost impressed me more (fear with Jones now down those midfield minutes will lower again).​
Biddell & Prowse were phenomenal down back, Biddell was an absolute wall in the 1st half.​
The whole backline as a group are on fire, have found improvement this year when they were already very good. Marijana Rajcic doing a great job as coach.​
Thought Jess Allan was BOG in the 1st half but she was definitely one who looked like she tired a little as the game went on, carried a lot of the work load as they didn’t use a relief option to give her a chop out too often today.​
There were some absolutely brilliant chasing efforts and chase down tackles throughout the match.​
Levy’s first goal was a highlight… just feel sorry for her when she goes to watch the replay of it and doesn’t gets to hear a description of the goal but instead gets the boundary rider speculating on players who might be injured because they talked to a medico 🙄
Charlton 🤞 got through the game, good to see her back.​
Negatives:

Jones out will obviously hurt, feel for her as it could be season over… but do think it might not hurt the team as much as maybe it would’ve 12 months ago.​
Marinoff let some bad old habits creep in including doing some of those quick no look kicks again.​
Hatchard looks a little banged up, didn’t look to be moving that freely.​
Inside 50 delivery was not great and really had to rely on that stoppage work & pressure acts to kick goals just like in the Port game.​
Thought Hawthorn’s players cracked in a little harder than some of their Crow opponents for the ground ball and you don’t see that too often (number of Crows players just reaching in & not committing the body).​
The team’s field kicking overall was really not its best today (Kelly especially).​
Also I don’t care how many variety of positions she claims to play or Clarke just wanting ‘flexibility’, playing someone like Smith over Mueller is crap, Mueller is 20x the footballer she is.​
While on team selection why drop Boileau for this game? Would have been another great experience for her, never should have been dropped. It seems an ingrained ‘earn your stripes’ policy that new draftees have to experience at the club as they are seemingly more easy to not select/drop than your low-ceiling senior foot-soldier type players.​
Jumper clash happening yet again, AFL just show they don’t really care about AFLW given how many times this has happened now, they know with the no-white shorts policy they need to be more stringent on guernsey clashes but just don’t give a s**t.​
The Whole Fox Footy Broadcast was disgustingly bad even for them, from the camera work to Underwood being Underwood and having painted on eyes to Blackburn and Schleicher not even bothering to hide their dismissive attitudes when it comes towards anything Crows.​
Nitpicking:

Newman still handballing too much for the sake of handballing (not on her own), especially when kicking with a multi-goal breeze.

Tonon (or Charlton according to Kelli Underwood) set shot confidence looks shot after that miss against Port, just poked at the 2 she had today and did not kick through the ball at all.

Last edited:
So it's 10 home and away rounds with 4 weeks of finals?

11 home and away rounds, but played during a ten week period. And yes, a finals system identical to the men's.
Thought Jess Allan was BOG in the 1st half but she was definitely one who looked like she tired a little as the game went on, carried a lot of the work load as they didn’t use a relief option to give her a chop out too often today.
Speaking of Jess Allan, she's got to be on world record pace for ruck infringement free kicks. It feels like every third or fourth stoppage she gets a free! I'm not sure if that's just from great positioning, or sloppy work from her opponents, but I'm not complaining!

And I agree, Smith in over Mueller just doesn't make any sense.

I know this is not an original thought, but having Biddell, Allan and Prowse all down in defence feels like a cheat code. All of them tall (5'10" ish), all of them great marks, all of them fairly quick, all of them good kicks (Biddell in particular), and all of them very strong at reading the play.

Being able to lock in three high quality tall defenders like that each week is such a bonus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3 v Hawthorn at Thomas Farms Oval (Unley)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back