Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Fremantle v Adelaide
Sunday 8 September - 4:35pm Adelaide time, 3:05pm Perth time
Fremantle Oval

Both sides come into the game with wins on the road against the most recent expansion sides. Who will move to 2-0?

Big worry this week, Fremantle looked very good on the weekend and are one of those teams that have always probably matched up well against the Crows. Bit simple to say given they were the 2 dominant Freo players on the weekend but have to find a way to limit Aisling McCarthy’s speed and break away from the centre and probably have to look to drop an extra defender back to double team Tighe up forward given how hard a matchup she is. Hayley Miller being back also a worry given she has historically played well when matched up against the Crows midfield, would probably like to see that ‘cooler/defensive mid’ role return to take Miller or McCarthy especially as I suspect Freo will look to tag Marinoff this week.

Also as much as I don’t rate her even if Gould is back this week I wouldn’t be opposed to Tarlinton being brought in as well just to provide that extra tall Freo have to play someone on. Got to change something personnel-wise up forward to increase that forward line’s proficiency, they could even go back to the future and look at putting Stevie-Lee Thompson back up forward, Najwa Allen was apparently going to play up forward this season before her injury so maybe it just gets to the stage where you keep throwing players up forward and see if one works.

Imagine the easy selection decision they’ll make will just be to drop one from the ‘easy to drop’ group (Waterhouse, Varnhagen, Kustermann, Levy, Tonon) for Gould. Imagine Tarlinton or Henry are very outside chances and Charlton is probably given an extra week to get right.

Big worry this week, Fremantle looked very good on the weekend and are one of those teams that have always probably matched up well against the Crows. Bit simple to say given they were the 2 dominant Freo players on the weekend but have to find a way to limit Aisling McCarthy’s speed and break away from the centre and probably have to look to drop an extra defender back to double team Tighe up forward given how hard a matchup she is. Hayley Miller being back also a worry given she has historically played well when matched up against the Crows midfield, would probably like to see that ‘cooler/defensive mid’ role return to take Miller or McCarthy especially as I suspect Freo will look to tag Marinoff this week.

Also as much as I don’t rate her even if Gould is back this week I wouldn’t be opposed to Tarlinton being brought in as well just to provide that extra tall Freo have to play someone on. Got to change something personnel-wise up forward to increase that forward line’s proficiency, they could even go back to the future and look at putting Stevie-Lee Thompson back up forward, Najwa Allen was apparently going to play up forward this season before her injury so maybe it just gets to the stage where you keep throwing players up forward and see if one works.

Imagine the easy selection decision they’ll make will just be to drop one from the ‘easy to drop’ group (Waterhouse, Varnhagen, Kustermann, Levy, Tonon) for Gould. Imagine Tarlinton or Henry are very outside chances and Charlton is probably given an extra week to get right.

Yes, my guess is one of Tonon or Kustermann go out for Gould, and if Charlton is back then Varnhagen goes out.

Big worry this week, Fremantle looked very good on the weekend and are one of those teams that have always probably matched up well against the Crows.
I didn't realise a 1-6 record (and that one win was their best season and our worst, when we had equal scoring shots) was matching up well vs us

I didn't realise a 1-6 record (and that one win was their best season and our worst, when we had equal scoring shots) was matching up well vs us
Despite being a one sided record on paper they have been quite tough and tight games especially over recent years, Bowers and Miller always racked up big numbers and had a big influence in the midfield. Last time they played, Freo led by a couple of goals at Unley and looked like winners at 3qtr time until a big last quarter where the Crows kicked the last 4 goals of the match, in fact all those matches through 2022 were damn tight affairs, Crows also stole the match last time they played in Freo by coming from behind & kicking 2 of the team’s 3 goals in the last quarter in one of the worst spectacles I’ve seen.

*Also the year they beat Adelaide by 30 points was 2021 - the year the Crows lost the GF (so not their worst season tbh)

Bowers is out for the season with a baby though right?

Big out for Freo. Also Tighe kicked 4 vs Essendon. Wonder who gets her. Prowse? Do we want Sarah Allan on lockdown? Probs not.
Yes. She only just gave birth like a week ago or something.

Tighe also goes in the ruck, so Prowse might go with her. She's a lot taller than both of them though. Not sure Prowse would have the strength to compete with her.

Just wondering if people are aware that Jess Waterhouse is very popular on TikTok and has such a cult following that people are now switching teams to support Adelaide in AFLW purely because of her and the content she is creating.
I don't have TikTok, but switching teams sounds a bit extreme. I mean, I'm a huge fan of Mon Conti and Jas Garner, but wouldn't be switching teams or anything. I was also a huge fan of Erin Phillips, but would never support Port.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondering if people are aware that Jess Waterhouse is very popular on TikTok and has such a cult following that people are now switching teams to support Adelaide in AFLW purely because of her and the content she is creating.

I think Jess just hit 100,000 subs on TikTok.

TikTok really isn't my thing either but getting 100,000 subscribers is a great achievement

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1645695/aflw-injury-update-round-two

Sounds like Gould, Munyard and Henry are all available as long as they get through training today.

Charlton will play half a game this weekend, either in the AFLW side or in the trial game. There are no subs in AFLW so it seems a bit fraught to have her play only half a game in the main side. I assume she'll play the trial game this week instead.

I was aware of that. I don't have a TikTok account, and won't ever get one, but they also posts on Instagram, and I now follow them on there. Jess is very likeable. They were my favourite player before that, but I like them even more now.

I've heard a bit about Waterhouse's content, but I'm not really a TikTok person so haven't looked at it. I gather it's "a day in the life of" kind of content, right?

I know Maddi Newman and her sister also have an account with something like 250,000 followers.
Yep, also posts on Instagram.

I was aware of that. I don't have a TikTok account, and won't ever get one, but they also posts on Instagram, and I now follow them on there. Jess is very likeable. They were my favourite player before that, but I like them even more now.
I'll have to follow them. Got a wicked sense of humour!

I haven’t been following much of the AFLW this season other than the recent Port game. Our intensity is still thereabouts, but our skills got shown up when the wind was blistery.
Keen to see what happens to the structures up forward because this is our obvious weakness still.

Just to slightly derail this thread, that new Port rookie was really impressive! Looks like a probable rising star for this season.

I haven’t been following much of the AFLW this season other than the recent Port game. Our intensity is still thereabouts, but our skills got shown up when the wind was blistery.
Keen to see what happens to the structures up forward because this is our obvious weakness still.

Just to slightly derail this thread, that new Port rookie was really impressive! Looks like a probable rising star for this season.
Funny, I was there and while yes, the conditions played havoc with disposal at times, I’d say generally our skills have improved markedly (as has ports).

Gould, Munyard and Smith named in the extended team. Of course, three players will drop out, presumably Smith will be one of them. Pretty safe to say Gould will be in. Munyard is a maybe. At this stage nobody is listed as an out.

No Henry or Charlton yet. Presumably Charlton will be back next week if she gets through her half of footy in the trial game.

Edit: Looking closer, the bench is currently listed as Munyard, Smith, Waterhouse, Levy, Boileau, Varnhagen, Tonon and Mueller. So presumably the three outs will come from there. My early guess is Smith, Varnhagen and Tonon go out.

Last edited:
Gould, Munyard and Smith named in the extended team. Of course, three players will drop out, presumably Smith will be one of them. Pretty safe to say Gould will be in. Munyard is a maybe. At this stage nobody is listed as an out.

No Henry or Charlton yet. Presumably Charlton will be back next week if she gets through her half of footy in the trial game.

Edit: Looking closer, the bench is currently listed as Munyard, Smith, Waterhouse, Levy, Boileau, Varnhagen, Tonon and Mueller. So presumably the three outs will come from there. My early guess is Smith, Varnhagen and Tonon go out.
Presume that will be it as well, tough on Tonon to get stuffed around in-game, do the Monday presser and then get dropped.

Apparently Brooke Smith showed amazing form at training and in the trial game to earn a squad selection, given the matches I’ve seen her play she must train like prime David Mackay.

I must admit I’m still hoping we’ll see ‘shiny new toy’ Henry early in this season

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 2 v Fremantle at Fremantle Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back