Shield Round 2: Victoria vs New South Wales, MCG, Oct 20-23

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny how you see the Konstas dismissal. At first, I thought the ball was probably missing leg and should have received any benefit of the doubt. I watched the replay three times after that, and I'm still not sure. The ball seemed to straighten and may have struck the back leg. If that's how the umpire saw it, then out. However, there just seemed to be sufficient doubt for the umpire to give it not out. Would need better equipment to know for sure.

First replay looked sliding, subsequent replays show the leg coming across and not as bad as first seemed. A lot of foot movement from the greatest batsman since Bradman but the umpire would have seen him in front of middle and leg and hitting back leg.

Even a review wouldn’t have saved him.

How far off higher honours is O'Neill? 69 at 21 is a great FC record
He'll be part of the next Ashes tour IMO. And I think he's Hazlewood's natural successor at this point.

They probably need to get him over to county cricket for a season then
Nah, he was over there in the Lancashire League in the 2023 winter.

Just catching up on first two days watching all the wickets.

Not confident in Chandrasinghe making it but he copped two great deliveries this match. Firstly some beautiful outswing from Abbott and then Starc with a ball that got some lift off a length.

Ditto Harris got a lifting delivery second dig but was a soft dismissal first innings. Both down the legside.
Handscomb would want to do better than both his dismissals. Two soft wafts outside off.

Abbott after a traumatic early career has become a very good shield performer. The cricket.com.au puff about test calculations seems a bit too far though.

Konstas was introduced to what a very good exponent of the MCG can do. Albeit I think his dismissal was unlucky, going down I think.

On track for a thumping loss, predict NSW to win by 9 wickets.
Really?

We're about 100-150 away from making this very difficult for NSW.

I think this is a mistake from NSW. Starc two overs at the end would have made Rogers and Harper nervous. Abbott was flagging and needed a rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extremely disappointing as I cannot see this game lasting the distance. Maybe partway into day 4.
Got cup day off on Wednesday but game likely close to finished by then.
Depends on how long we bat tomorrow. Rogers and Harper have batted well here.

I think if we bat 60-odd overs tomorrow ideally (even if we only go at 2.5 an over) it makes it really hard for NSW. These two will need to survive the early Starc and Bird assault though, first hour will be the key.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shield Round 2: Victoria vs New South Wales, MCG, Oct 20-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back