Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendles is now 23-8 against Carlton. Like Warne had Daryl Cullinan, Scott has the Blues.

Think about that number. A whole season’s worth of wins over Carlton.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Always feel confident. Match up well wouldn't fear them in September. Reckon there good contested and stoppage but struggle with a manic fast paced game
They tried to spread last night a d use the zone but don't have the skills for that type of game. Still dangerous thou in September if they get it on their terms (more contest etc

The roar from our fans when McGovern completely shanked that kick after the siren was gold! Actually felt bad for him and the Blues players, not their fans though. 🤣

The Carlton team showed great respect for SP, before and after the match. Cripps is a class act.

My best mate is a Blues fan. He said it was the best game he had ever watched live.

There's too much childhood trauma for me to stop hating that club, but on a purely logical level, I can acknowledge the above.

Always feel confident. Match up well wouldn't fear them in September. Reckon there good contested and stoppage but struggle with a manic fast paced game
They tried to spread last night a d use the zone but don't have the skills for that type of game. Still dangerous thou in September if they get it on their terms (more contest etc

They're like the Dees - just don't have the outside players if the ball is moving.

All the more comical how bad it was though!
But when Cameron fell down and Carlton got a clean kick inside 50 and I saw a Carlton player by himself marking it with seconds to go.... literally almost made me throw the remote control at the TV.

Pies were incredibly lucky it wasn't one of their forwards

A glorious win but man, I could do without the late dramas.

It was a throwback to 2023 but I really wish we could change our tactics from ''parking the bus'' once we get out to a decent lead.
It just seems when we go into that defensive mode and don't really try to score, we concede all momentum ... we just seem like a hapless deer standing there waiting for the predator to pounce. The tactic has served us well in the past but I really think it's had its time, and it has not worked much this year. For people at the game, is it apparent we are just trying to shut the game down with how we set up etc?

Three head-scratching moments for me... Darcy trying to mark over the top of Jack Martin when he should have spoiled and thumped the ball well clear; Frampton and someone else not killing the ball over the line in a marking contest right on the boundary; Jamie letting the ball go out on the wing with 90-odd seconds left. I felt at the least he could have sent the ball deep into a vacant forward line. I guess he was just gassed

I don't like to do this, but this melt was delightful from the Blues autopsy thread:

"
The real question is why?

WHY?!!!

WHY THE **** DO WE ALWAYS LOSE TO THESE ****S?!!

We look better on paper. We have better bookends. Players with greater potential and greater ceiling. Not to mention they're at the prime age.

Yet for some reason, we always crumble against these (for the most part, geriatric) buggers. They always have us by the balls. We're basically their *****!

It ticks me off. While I hate Essendon more, this team is fast taking the throne because I am sick of it, we can never beat them when it matters.

The record is ridiculous. The head to head ledger has turned well and truly in their favour.

Whenever they are crap, we find a way to be crapper against them?

Sorry for the melt. But it baffles me how much this team can wet themselves against the arch rival.

"

I hope this warmed your heart as much as it warmed mine.
Those who claim they "look better on paper" fail to realise the game is played ON GRASS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And as much as anyone wants to laugh at me we've really had 1 bad loss = hawthorn where everyone was saying season over.
Having said that of the current 8 + pies go through any team
I reckon each of the 9 can lay a legitimate claim if they strike fire at the right time. Still 3 weeks and it can change like that before finals. Not to mention what happens there in.
We've played poorly without any pressure or intensity for most of our matches since the bye. That's been the worrying part. Not the losses so much, because apart from the Hawthorn game they weren't by big margins.

Last night was the first time in weeks we've applied pressure & gang tackled for weeks, even months. And we did it for almost 4 quarters !

It would be a real shame if those 2 draws and a couple of close losses in lacklustre performances was the reason we missed finals, if we are going to now consistently start playing like we did last night.

Those who claim they "look better on paper" fail to realise the game is played ON GRASS

Is it possible that those making these dubious claims are smoking the grass, pedantic grammar Nazi?

Last edited:

It was a throwback to 2023 but I really wish we could change our tactics from ''parking the bus'' once we get out to a decent lead.
It just seems when we go into that defensive mode and don't really try to score, we concede all momentum ... we just seem like a hapless deer standing there waiting for the predator to pounce. The tactic has served us well in the past but I really think it's had its time, and it has not worked much this year. For people at the game, is it apparent we are just trying to shut the game down with how we set up etc?

Three head-scratching moments for me... Darcy trying to mark over the top of Jack Martin when he should have spoiled and thumped the ball well clear; Frampton and someone else not killing the ball over the line in a marking contest right on the boundary; Jamie letting the ball go out on the wing with 90-odd seconds left. I felt at the least he could have sent the ball deep into a vacant forward line. I guess he was just gassed
Late drama was always going to happen, so predictable. Even when we were 20+ up, car crash in slow motion. Lucky we held on.

But when Cameron fell down and Carlton got a clean kick inside 50 and I saw a Carlton player by himself marking it with seconds to go.... literally almost made me throw the remote control at the TV.

Pies were incredibly lucky it wasn't one of their forwards
Maybe that’s because they had their forwards covered.

I agree with you that it's done as a tactic - we flood back too hard ensuring that the game is totally defending, because there's not enough players ahead of the ball to move or keep it forward. I also think the repeat stoppage attempts mean that we get too many too close and leave them opportunities on the outside and that only one team are going to clear the footy.

I think mark was the right option for Darcy, but he thought he had him covered easily and didn't go hard enough to get him under the ball. Elliott would have just given them the ball - a throw in was a better option. Howe just missed the ball in that marking contest - for the only time last night.

Jamie letting the ball go out on the wing with 90-odd seconds left. I felt at the least he could have sent the ball deep into a vacant forward line. I guess he was just gassed
While the forward line was vacant of Collingwood players the blues had 3 loose between Elliott and our goal

I really wish we could change our tactics from ''parking the bus'' once we get out to a decent lead.
It just seems when we go into that defensive mode and don't really try to score, we concede all momentum

Three head-scratching moments for me... Darcy trying to mark over the top of Jack Martin when he should have spoiled and thumped the ball well clear;
I think losing Jordy may have had a little to do with the change of momentum and/or tactics in the last quarter too. :pensive:

Nick immediately gave the "punch" fist to Darcy after that unsuccessful attempt to mark. Definitely a future leader there!:wink:

BEST MOZZBYMULTI EVER.
Especially love the circled leg. 😁😁

Screenshot_20240804_120254_Sportsbet.jpg

Rarely happier to donate my $$ to the cause.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back