Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

I love how (a) Coxy being a seriously limited player who lifts BIG TIME in finals, versus (b) Curnow having all the God-given talent in the world, but disappearing on the big stage, is (c) the perfect microcosm of Collingwood vs Carlton in the 21st century.

This. It goes to character and culture. Carlton is a club which has historically lacked integrity; a hollowed-out shell of a club which built success on cheating and then boasted about it.

I'm sure Curnow is a very nice young man, but when he landed at Carlton, he caught the infection.

🤣🤣 much like Essendon’s senior players in that 2022 game where Elliott kicked the sealer and Cameron’s sneaky little double fist pump after his initial goal celebration late in the 2023 gf.

I could see the Hawks beating them. They should win against the Eagles. As for the Saints, who knows? 🤔
Yep, I’m seeing it the same. If the beat the Hawks, they should make it.

If they don’t, we might all be Saints fans in a few weeks.

I love how (a) Coxy being a seriously limited player who lifts BIG TIME in finals, versus (b) Curnow having all the God-given talent in the world, but disappearing on the big stage, is (c) the perfect microcosm of Collingwood vs Carlton in the 21st century.

We might not always field the most talented team, we don't tank for three consecutive #1 draft picks, we're not chock-full of first round selections. But when the chips are down, you know we're giving it everything we've got. As for the Blues...

So true. Posting gold at 4:36am. Elite

Ned Long has been up for a bit of criticism, and it is true his game wasn't the best, but I thought as a I watched, the he doesn't take possession when he could because he was deferring to team mates with better disposal credentials, even when he (Long) is in prime position to get it. It made me think that he has instructions on this. It would only be a guess as to what they might be, but it could easily be that he has been told that his mission is defensive, and like Frampton in the grand final, he is not adjusting in the moment to an aggressive opportunity. Does anyone else have this perception or is it just one of my constructs?
I was shocked to see he ranked in the Top5, for maximum speed on the AFL app.
Maybe he’s not as slow as we all thought.

Ned Long has been up for a bit of criticism, and it is true his game wasn't the best, but I thought as a I watched, the he doesn't take possession when he could because he was deferring to team mates with better disposal credentials, even when he (Long) is in prime position to get it. It made me think that he has instructions on this. It would only be a guess as to what they might be, but it could easily be that he has been told that his mission is defensive, and like Frampton in the grand final, he is not adjusting in the moment to an aggressive opportunity. Does anyone else have this perception or is it just one of my constructs?

I’ve noticed this too with Long, but I’ve seen it a bit with Bytel where we are throwing it around and we bypass him in the chain and it throws off the flow of the play a bit and sometimes causes a turnover.
Not sure if it’s instructed or maybe some unconscious bias from the players.

Curnow didn't get his goals from free kicks this time. What a shame.
He relies on winning the coleman from BS free kicks or by playing bottom 4 teams twice a year.

Again Cark-TON supporters Shove this loss where the sun doesn't shine.

He does get caught spectating. And I think it’s due to lack of pace and the familiarity with the pace of seniors.
But I also noticed he played body on body with Cripps a few times and did it well.
I also think he’s kicking is better than I thought.

Jury is out, but there’s something to work with, and on size and strength alone we should persevere as the upside would be significant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he'd have very clear instructions on his role. He sticks very close to his opponent from what I can see. As long as he stays in the team, it would appear he's following those instructions & playing his role.

We should have won by 8 goals.

Carlton are mentally so weak. None more than Curnow.

Always confident of a win when we play them.

How?

If I was going to be very biased towards Pies I would say that Pies should have won by 5 goals at best. Basically they should have played the game slow during the 4th quarter and just throw numbers inside Carlton's forward 50 and withstand the risky plays from Carlton.

If I was being fair, I would say Carlton should have been up 3 goals in the first then Pies controlled 2nd and 3rd leading by 2 goals entering 4th and a slug festival with Pies holding on hopefully.

What we saw was Carlton forward shut down early and missed opportunities, Pies then dominated 2nd and 3rd and then Pies literally witches hats in the 4th quarter where every center clearance went to Carlton. Pies lucky a shank kick after the buzzer.

I don't like to do this, but this melt was delightful from the Blues autopsy thread:

"
The real question is why?

WHY?!!!

WHY THE **** DO WE ALWAYS LOSE TO THESE ****S?!!

We look better on paper. We have better bookends. Players with greater potential and greater ceiling. Not to mention they're at the prime age.

Yet for some reason, we always crumble against these (for the most part, geriatric) buggers. They always have us by the balls. We're basically their *****!

It ticks me off. While I hate Essendon more, this team is fast taking the throne because I am sick of it, we can never beat them when it matters.

The record is ridiculous. The head to head ledger has turned well and truly in their favour.

Whenever they are crap, we find a way to be crapper against them?

Sorry for the melt. But it baffles me how much this team can wet themselves against the arch rival.

"

I hope this warmed your heart as much as it warmed mine.

Congrats to the boys on getting it done for Pendles.

It did seem like we were back up to about 85-90% rat power, and we managed to keep the bad patches mostly under control from a scoreboard perspective.
Their ball movement was pretty poor until the last and this helped our defenders halve and or win a few more contests. Encouraging from Moore, Q, and Frampton. While Howe held or improved on his form.
Moore has been in the gun for me recently, but outside that contest with Martin he was better last night.

Fingers crossed on JDG.

Pendles set the tone in Q1 and really looked ON. Such a blessing for us over the years.

Looking forward, I had a couple of goes at ladder predictor, but it’s a pointless task given the frankly stupidly unpredictable results teams throw up from one week to the next. Hopefully we can just keep winning and have some luck fall our way.

I don't like to do this, but this melt was delightful from the Blues autopsy thread:

"

WHY?!!!

We look better on paper. We have better bookends. Players with greater potential and greater ceiling. Not to mention they're at the prime age.

Yet for some reason, we always crumble against these (for the most part, geriatric) buggers. They always have us by the balls. We're basically their *****!

It ticks me off. While I hate Essendon more, this team is fast taking the throne because I am sick of it, we can never beat them when it matters.

The record is ridiculous. The head to head ledger has turned well and truly in their favour.

Sorry for the melt. But it baffles me how much this team can wet themselves against the arch rival.

"

All I could think of after the game was all the Blues supporters who had started to leave halfway through the last qtr rushing back to watch them lose after the siren.

🥳 🤣 😂 🤗

Shout out to our Swiss Army Knife, Wilba.

Always in the right spot at the right time. Most underrated player in our side, imo.

Hosky did the job. Again. :blueheart:

He's very strong on the lead. Wish we had the luxury of playing him forward more often.

Woke up with a raging migraine this morning (and I didn’t even imbibe last night). I blearily looked at the result on the AFL app, and the pain is slowly fading away. My new “Pendles” bear I bought at the AFL Store yesterday loved the way the game ended too.
IMG_4756.jpeg

"

WHY?!!!

"

Pendles is now 23-8 against Carlton. Like Warne had Daryl Cullinan, Scott has the Blues.

Think about that number. A whole season’s worth of wins over Carlton.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bring that fast game with matching pressure and we'll beat anyone.
Back to back still in play.
And as much as anyone wants to laugh at me we've really had 1 bad loss = hawthorn where everyone was saying season over.
Having said that of the current 8 + pies go through any team
I reckon each of the 9 can lay a legitimate claim if they strike fire at the right time. Still 3 weeks and it can change like that before finals. Not to mention what happens there in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back