Preview Round 22, 2023: St.Kilda v Richmond - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 13th August, 3:20PM AEST *MADDIE'S MATCH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • Tigers

Votes: 16 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can't roll through the midfield. If we weren't struggling on ball I reckon he'd be out and JB might be a chance. He's more high half forward though and so competing with Phillipou and Owens types and possibly Membrey. Billings is going to have to work hard and wait for opportunity. Don't mind that to be honest.
The past month, Gresh has attended between 9-14% of CBAs. Thats 2-4 per game.

I dont think he's played enough midfield to warrant staying in the side due to that capability. Phillipou/Owens/Windy could take those CBA's and we wouldn't notice the difference.

Yeah I know it's a cold take, we can't all have hot takes like Kane Cornes.

My Kane Cornes hot take is that we should look at trading Steele for a first rounder to see if we can get a gun young midfielder like Rozee or Butters.
Steeles not getting a first rounder on current form

We should just get our draft picks right. Mitch Lewis (pick 76) was the last pick in his draft and he's better than Max King. Tim Membrey was the last pick in his draft. Johnno O'Rourke was pick 2 in that draft....he played 21 games over 2 clubs. Jimmy Toumpas was pick 4 that year.

Paddy McCartin was a fat diabetic undersized tall forward with an inaccurate set shot. Collingwood in that same draft took Jordan DeGoey, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard. We took Paddy, Hugh Goddard, Dmac and Lonie. Melbourne Petracca, Brayshaw, Neale-Bullen and Oscar Mc Donald.

Partly. Mitch Lewis has been developed. And they were patient. after 4 flags in 6 years they had that luxury.

Our bigger issue is the development of players

He's better than Gresham in there

Gresham only plays bursts there at the moment too but I think we probably like having rotations that can impact then go back and impact another position. I think Gresham has actually been okay recently, he's definitely not as much of a problem as he was in the middle of the season.

Still discussing Bont Petracca Billings and McCartin 🤣

Unreal

That's because in 13 years our list build still hasn't got to a point that those mistakes are irrelevant. Probably done more list repair under Toce than the previous 10 years. It's like living in a caravan park and remembering that time your husband gambled away your house. We'll stop whinging when we are back in to something like what we deserve.

The past month, Gresh has attended between 9-14% of CBAs. Thats 2-4 per game.

I dont think he's played enough midfield to warrant staying in the side due to that capability. Phillipou/Owens/Windy could take those CBA's and we wouldn't notice the difference.

He still attends ball ups and can win his own ball. He's definitely not playing much out of the centre lately. Windhager has been playing HBF lately and going well. Phillipou doesn't look that great in the middle yet. Owens is good in bursts.

I think Gresh has been much better over the last few weeks anyway.

Partly. Mitch Lewis has been developed. And they were patient. after 4 flags in 6 years they had that luxury.

Our bigger issue is the development of players

Not really, they didn't have breaks in drafting and trading. We fell off a bit of a cliff because we failed to draft well in Lyon's first innings. Really after 2003 we stopped drafting at anything like an industry standard so we had to ground up rebuild but chose to pretend we were still in challenge mode and Pelican made some of the dumbest moves in history. Then Trout came in and got nearly every pick wrong. Add some bad luck with injury, poor footy department spend which didn't have quality development or skills staff and poor list management and that's how you **** up a rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's because in 13 years our list build still hasn't got to a point that those mistakes are irrelevant. Probably done more list repair under Toce than the previous 10 years. It's like living in a caravan park and remembering that time your husband gambled away your house. We'll stop whinging when we are back in to something like what we deserve.
On the other hand, as someone wise once told me, the reason the rear view mirror is smaller than the front windscreen is because you should be spending less time looking backwards.

Whether your point is valid or not, all of us constantly referring to the past is a fruitless exercise which will not improve the present. All it does is increase frustration. Happily for us, the people responsible for those mistakes are now gone. Have to trust that those in position now do not make the same mistakes.

Membrey and Ross 🙄
Gresh has apparently redeemed himself after being “dropped” 🙄
Max is a witches hat so we bring in another witches hat 🙄
Come on Rtb build back better.

Not really, they didn't have breaks in drafting and trading. We fell off a bit of a cliff because we failed to draft well in Lyon's first innings. Really after 2003 we stopped drafting at anything like an industry standard so we had to ground up rebuild but chose to pretend we were still in challenge mode and Pelican made some of the dumbest moves in history. Then Trout came in and got nearly every pick wrong. Add some bad luck with injury, poor footy department spend which didn't have quality development or skills staff and poor list management and that's how you * up a rebuild.
You are clearly wasting your time on here

If Max insists on being a stand still stay at home ff can he at least stay at home in the goal square.
Needs to learn a bit about making space and hard leading, instead of waiting for the easy get and going crook when he doesn't get it.
Give him a 1/4 at full back so he can see what he’s supposed to do. 😉

On the other hand, as someone wise once told me, the reason the rear view mirror is smaller than the front windscreen is because you should be spending less time looking backwards.

Whether your point is valid or not, all of us constantly referring to the past is a fruitless exercise which will not improve the present. All it does is increase frustration. Happily for us, the people responsible for those mistakes are now gone. Have to trust that those in position now do not make the same mistakes.

Some of them anyway. Probably need a broom through the board as well. They ticked off most of the dumb acts. To me it's a bit like corruption. Pretending that everything is rosy when it's not is accepting the consequences. I'm more positive now than for along time but we have done so much self inflicted damage that we have very little margin for error from here on in.

If Lyon comes in and slashes the list and doesn't replace them with up grades or chases a layer of GOPs with high work ethics we will end up like we did at the end of his tenure last time but without the good bits.

Some of them anyway. Probably need a broom through the board as well. They ticked off most of the dumb acts. To me it's a bit like corruption. Pretending that everything is rosy when it's not is accepting the consequences. I'm more positive now than for along time but we have done so much self inflicted damage that we have very little margin for error from here on in.

If Lyon comes in and slashes the list and doesn't replace them with up grades or chases a layer of GOPs with high work ethics we will end up like we did at the end of his tenure last time but without the good bits.
Genuine question. How much say does the board have when drafting/ recruiting players?

I know Basset got involved over the De Goey chase, but would they have had a say over Petracca vs Paddy for instance?

How many would still be there from those days - probably our worst stuff up draft wise?

Genuine question. How much say does the board have when drafting/ recruiting players?

I know Basset got involved over the De Goey chase, but would they have had a say over Petracca vs Paddy for instance?

How many would still be there from those days - probably our worst stuff up draft wise?

Hopefully very little but unless they weren't watching you could see exactly how poorly the team and footy department were performing. They are responsible for spending and appointments. It was run like an amateurs club where as long as you turned up you had a job for life. Bassat talks the right talk but having Lethlean promoted was a weird one and he did sign up Ratts and was about to appoint Rath and Lethlean to run the whole show. If we'd won one more game last year we may have still had Ratts, Lethlean and Rath running another completely unaccountable footy department.

The whole bottles of red barefoot to court Lyon like he was a younger attractive woman that he was trying to seduce with his money was cringe. Especially when Lethlean turned up in his 2001 model Mazda like a homeless man. Appointing old boys over industry best is still yet to show that it was best policy but I'll give him time on that. Losing Walsh for Sos and Gubby also looks a bit of a stuff up.

We are run a lot better but I'm going to keep the campaigners honest because they've done nothing to suggest they are a well run operation yet despite some improvements.

Actually Lethlean who was in the FD at the time overruled Libba to get King over Rozee. I think we had a bit of a weird power structure going on where there were plenty of egos getting in the way of people doing their jobs. That's why getting Lethelan away from the chooks was a good move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back