Review Round 22 = Sydney 77-50 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

the result at MCG would have been the same ... serously how can u blame sthe groudn when clearly we were outplayed!!

We were outplayed. Not sure you read my post, otherwise you'd see that I concede Sydney was the better team on the day.

It would have been a much closer contest at the G. You don't have to agree with me in the same way that I don't have to accept your view. :)

Last edited:

You could name multiple of them.
Thought Pendles wasnt his best
Crisp was awful
Elliott
Josh D prob the only mid that had a fairly good day

I'm putting it down to one of those games that our side and players got beaten and couldn't play to their best.
It happens.

This is also the first time in lippa's career he has played 20 or more games, so maybe its taking a toll on him. Who knows. There was a lack of energy amongst the side, or at least it felt like.

Hopefully they come out better next week.
Seven's coverage of the SCG was woeful and the camera angles were unglamorous. It was just a bad game for the side because it lacked the energy.

Out of interest can you list our youth coming through, say under 23 yo, and what potential bracket (Star, A grader, B,C,D) you see them in.

No SPIN I wasn't being trite here actually an interesting topic for you and others. I'd like to see what the general consensus of where people think our list lies moving forward talent and depth of etc.
There are to many 23 or under, with little exposed form in AFL to make a definitive judgement, but those with the highest ceiling ( B grade or above) are IMO:
JD, ND, Kreuger, JC, IQ, Beau, McMahon ( athleticism for his size means high potential), Oliie, Begg, Ginnivan, Reef, Harrison, McCrae, Draper, Murphy, Ruscoe ( excellent versatility and has excellent speed for his size - hugely underrated IMO, much like Murphy was).

There is no fundamental skill deficiency in any of the above that would preclude them from becoming an A graders, so application will be key - as for Stars, ND is the logical answer, but he is a very high benchmark, that by comparison is limited to very few U23 in the game.
That said the unique abilities of Ollie, JD, Begg, McCreery, McMahon, Ginnivan, Krueger, Reef, have them in the mix.

Kelly, CB, TB have the skills but lack composure, which seems stubbornly persistent, that if fixed ( maybe in a new environment) could make them B graders.

I leave the house. If I'm near a tv I know I'll keep sneaking a look . I do check the live scores every 15 or so minutes but I won't be suffering the moment by moment purgatory of dropped marks, missed chances and terrible umpiring decisions which would have me yelling and apoplectic most of the time.

It's simply the lesser of two evils.
We could be separated at birth. I suffer anxiety, I am much better if the sound is off. I think removing the commentary is why I find live games much more enjoyable. I am able to watch all over the field, it makes me much happier.

I think the performance raised a lot of questions about our forward line but perhaps our poor ball movement made this look worse?
Not sure about others but I'm staying away from the media, it will be an awful "i told you so" free for all.

We could be separated at birth. I suffer anxiety, I am much better if the sound is off. I think removing the commentary is why I find live games much more enjoyable. I am able to watch all over the field, it makes me much happier.
I don’t suffer from anxiety.
However, I did enjoy and found it much more relaxing, (as much as a loss can be) without the commentary.
The fact I can’t stand BT’s crap was part of the decision to turn it off.

I don’t suffer from anxiety.
However, I did enjoy and found it much more relaxing, (as much as a loss can be) without the commentary.
The fact I can’t stand BT’s crap was part of the decision to turn it off.
Good decision, it was really bad/over the top. I feel he goes harder when the pies are losing.
He also ramps it up in the last 10 mins, screaming for no reason.
7 games are produced like another episode of my kitchen rules.

We were like a different team today, and I don't think much of it is down to the way Sydney played. We just had too many make errors they wouldn't normally make, or be well down on their output of previous weeks. As Howe has started to slightly decline he is good for one howler a game. I think he had 4 or more yesterday. Darcy Moore punching when he should have gone for the mark and going for the mark when he should have punched. IQ just not defending well. It goes on and on.

So hard to know whether we are about to do what supporters of every other club wants, or whether this was the outlier and we will be back sharp next week. I am hopeful it is the latter, but am at heart a pessimist when it comes to the pies! One thing that we do need to see if Crisp getting back to his form of the first half of the season. Apart from some moments against Melbourne and Essendon he has dropped off significantly. He is critical to the next few games.

We were like a different team today, and I don't think much of it is down to the way Sydney played. We just had too many make errors they wouldn't normally make, or be well down on their output of previous weeks. As Howe has started to slightly decline he is good for one howler a game. I think he had 4 or more yesterday. Darcy Moore punching when he should have gone for the mark and going for the mark when he should have punched. IQ just not defending well. It goes on and on.

So hard to know whether we are about to do what supporters of every other club wants, or whether this was the outlier and we will be back sharp next week. I am hopeful it is the latter, but am at heart a pessimist when it comes to the pies! One thing that we do need to see if Crisp getting back to his form of the first half of the season. Apart from some moments against Melbourne and Essendon he has dropped off significantly. He is critical to the next few games.
I think you're underestimating how much we struggled to maintain pressure on Sydney's system and how much they were able to stifle ours. McRae has some work to do if we meet them again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good decision, it was really bad/over the top. I feel he goes harder when the pies are losing.
He also ramps it up in the last 10 mins, screaming for no reason.
7 games are produced like another episode of my kitchen rules.
The commentary was woeful. Even when Doug Wade or Bill Twomey or Bob Davis were sole commentators of games in footy replays of the 70s they were better.

Taylor is just an annoying buffoon and the co-commentators were rubbish. The C Team?

I've read the posts about the ground being too small and others saying it isn't really that much smaller than the MCG.

Either way, I am disappointed McRae came out and said it was too small. What if we end up playing Sydney again - the players will think the coach doesn't think our game style works on this ground.

Rookie error.

I think you're underestimating how much we struggled to maintain pressure on Sydney's system and how much they were able to stifle ours. McRae has some work to do if we meet them again.
i agree. that was a systemic loss. to our credit we didnt drop our heads. itll be hard for us to beat swans if we meet them based on that.
nonetheless, i mostly just care that we bounce back next week and beat the blues. that will be a sign of strong progress and will ensure our finals will be a good opportunity to improve

also our defensive system held up. 77 isnt a huge score
we lost because their defensive system is excellent and we couldn't find ways through it

The AFL need to demolish most of the stadiums and start again.

Build bigger grounds, along with a roof.

AFL is at its best when ball handling is at its cleanest, I don't want to watch hundreds of knock- ons.

If I want to watch knock-ons, I'll watch rugby instead...

Again, if you stand in the centre of the SCG there's only 2.5 metres less than the MCG in any direction.

It was enough for McRae to raise it as a difference in his presser, and it sure as shit looked congested.

dont understand this size of ground thing ... SCG is only 5m shorter and 5 metres thinner than mcg.... if that miniscule diemnsion affects the way teams player I am astounded
View attachment 1477801

I’m not sure 1,160-odd square metres is a miniscule difference. You could tackle a few blokes high in that amount of space.

It was enough for McRae to raise it as a difference in his presser, and it sure as s**t looked congested.
The cameras angles trick our eyes. Playing any late arvo game on the SCG is asking for trouble. Unless it's cloudy the westerly sun over the Brewongle Stand is a killer. For players, spectators and TV viewing.

It was enough for McRae to raise it as a difference in his presser, and it sure as s**t looked congested.
Yes, I read that, I was only going on the quoted dimensions. It does look a bit asymmetrical with a deeper wing on the Member's Stand side:

1660537810322.png

We got smashed at the coal face and clearances (please don’t give me the stats, I was there and we got beaten hands down).

Our inability to win the 50/50 contents coupled with not being able to keep the ball on the forward fifty at all was problematic across every quarter.

Adams and DeGoey not playing really hurt.

The music after goals was just annoying as watching WHE stroll around and there was no atmosphere at all.

If asked beforehand; would I rather drop a game to the Swans on the road, without De Goey in round 22, or at the MCG against the tankers in round 23… well that’s a no-brainer.

There’ll be zero chance of complacency, we’ll hopefully be over the flu, back to a bigger ground and able to utilize our more mobile-but-not-overly-tall forward line.

The issue is personnel though. We are currently playing our depth. Bianco, Carmichael and Brown should be either VFL or at most medi-sub. We need De Goey back ASAP and if we get the win, then hopefully two weeks later Adams will be ready. Typically he tries to come back in half the time, and ends up taking double. Bringing in Macrae now would be a big ask, despite his impressive VFL form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back