Game Day Round 23 - Essendon v Sydney, Marvel Stadium, 16/8/24, 7.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round23.jpg

Form Line.jpg

ESSENDON

Bad kicking is bad football.
1.9 in the final quarter with full dominance across all areas of the ground.
The last three games decided by kicks after the siren have all been Essendon losses.
The season is done.
The Suns have won a game away from home for the first time in over a year.
Yet another season, absolutely destroyed by the pea-hearts our club has signed to stupid deals.
No grit. No mental toughness.
Something is rotten at this club, and at this point, I'm not sure anyone knows how to fix it.
The streak continues. In a couple of weeks time, it will have officially been 20 years since we last won a final.

ESSENDON 12.14 86
def. by
GOLD COAST 13.9 87

BEST:
Merrett, Martin, Redman, Draper, Caddy
GOALS: Draper, Caddy 3, Menzie, Stringer, Jones, Caldwell, Durham, Roberts

-----------

SYDNEY

For what we lacked in mental toughness last week, the Swans were the opposite.
A horror run of form ended by a huge shot for goal in the final seconds by Errol Gulden, which saw the Pies' flag defence snuffed out once and for all.
Positives? Collingwood won't make it 17 flags this year, and neither will Carlton.
Negatives? I really have a hate on for the Swans.
Going to be honest, I've mentally checked out of this season so it's hard for me to write anything of substance here.
Heeney is a freak.

SYDNEY 13.11 89
def.
COLLINGWOOD 12.14 86

BEST: Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Witts, Andrew, Powell
GOALS: Long, King, Andrew 3, Witts, Graham, Fiorini, Anderson

LineUps.jpg

Round23.jpg

ESSENDON OUTS: Nik Cox (Concussion), Alwyn Davey Jr (Omit)
ESSENDON INS: Archie Perkins, Sam Weideman

SYDNEY OUTS: Chad Warner, Robbie Fox
SYDNEY INS: Lewis Melican, Corey Warner

Last Time.jpg

ROUND 2, 2024
SCG
23/3/2024

SYDNEY 19.17 131
def.
ESSENDON 15.11 101

---------

SYDNEY GOALS: Papley 4, Hayward 3, Amartey, Gulden, McLean, Chad Warner 2, Blakey, Heeney, Jordon, McDonald
ESSENDON GOALS: Gresham, Stringer 3, Langford, Merrett, Wright 2, Cox, Draper, Goldstein

SYDNEY BEST: Heeney, Papley, Gulden, Chad Warner, Florent, Grundy, Blakey
ESSENDON BEST: Merrett, Setterfield, Martin, Gresham, Caldwell, Durham

----------

CHANGES SINCE LAST TIME:

SYDNEY OUTS:
Chad Warner, Papley, McInerney, Wicks
SYDNEY INS: Parker, Mills, Clearey, Adams

ESSENDON OUTS: Setterfield, Heppell, Duursma, Tsatas, Cox, Hind, Wright, Goldstein, A. Davey Jr
ESSENDON INS: Kelly, Redman, Parish, Roberts, Caddy, Jones, Shiel, Weideman, Gresham

tip.jpg

Would be remiss of me not to mention the enormous impact that Dyson Heppell has had on this club. For whatever reason, he's not having a farewell game here in Melbourne. Maybe he feels as though he can't contribute at the highest level. Maybe Brad feels as though we genuinely still have a shot at finals footy. Who knows.

Either way, he was dealt the absolute shittest hand by this club throughout his entire career, and you couldn't have asked him to have done anything else. What a legend.

As for today, we may come away with a win. Sydney have not been playing great footy.

If the most recent few years of playing Sydney have taught me anything, however, then you can be damn sure that they'll likely beat us in extremely controversial circumstances, and we'll be left ruing what could have been. Like this group of players would make any impact in September.

Sydney by 2.

Wow, now Dodo and Sheeds are gone too. What a wild few days. A win here might really complete it, actually.

Last edited:

Anyone actually tipping us here?

I might go the tactical tip of making-up-ground-in-the-tipping-comp. Doesn’t mean I’m really tipping us to win but I’m just two off the lead and need an upset pick.

Sydney to win by 163 points with Capper kicking 6 and Wright kicking 5.

Merv Neagle will probably kick 3 too just to humiliate us even further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tipped the bombers. I’m leading the work comp just now on a slim margin but be nice if Ess get the win.

Go bombers. Tonights theme is about loyalty. The loyalty hepp and Adrian showed this club and the fans that turn up and all of us who support the club year in year out.

Sydney is going well but I hope the red and black get the points.

First time in a while I’ll be watching with the only expectation is to crack in…and see how the young lads go

Nathaniel Caddy
Bryan
Hobbs
Roberts
Perkins

Go Dons!

Think the biggest thing I'd like to see tonight would be us take away Sydney's corridor game.
Teams have been doing it for weeks but that type of defensive work ethic has not been on display from us all year.
If we get into a corridor shootout with them and win it's not going to mean much, show me we can execute the clear gameplan that has wrecked Sydney for weeks. Result doesn't mean much tonight, but seeing some signs of football IQ, planning and ability to carry it out would be a tick for a group who's football intelligence is questionable.

Anyone actually tipping us here?

I might go the tactical tip of making-up-ground-in-the-tipping-comp. Doesn’t mean I’m really tipping us to win but I’m just two off the lead and need an upset pick.

Sydney to win by 163 points with Capper kicking 6 and Wright kicking 5.

Merv Neagle will probably kick 3 too just to humiliate us even further.
Yep I’m tipping us

By 10pm clowns will come to realise that last week was just… unlucky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back