Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I've found a rich source for terrible puns in the last couple of weeks so hoping the Lions can keep things going, for my sake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By an absurd amount of length we are the most frustrating team to watch in the game. It’s beyond ridiculous.
We are putrid.

Embarrassing for AFL grade footballers that we kick so poorly. I’ve seen u/12s kick better. Last quarter was even more embarrassing for a team thinking it’s a finals team.

Just making up numbers this September.

Being named premiership favourites was our undoing.

We crumble under the pressure and expectation, as shown by our poor finals record and consistent struggles in front of goal.

The GWS game was the turning point, where we dominated but only managed 4.7 because we lacked the killer instinct, the desire to capitalise on our publically recognised status.

We're afraid to win well and be ruthless. I thought we had changed after the Port game and even against Gold Coast without our backline, but the last three weeks have proven otherwise. We miss crucial opportunities, let teams back in, and allow them to gain momentum they don't deserve.

In summary, being labeled favourites has derailed our season. I give us a 5% chance of winning it from here, and I fear this off season will be even longer than the last.

21 behinds, like I thought 25 would actually be a joke when I said it in the pre-game, well joke's on me.

Tough game to get up for with nothing really to play for and the last quarter really was nothing to gain, not much to lose.

For finals, we have to consider:

Out: Fletcher, Joyce, McKenna
In: Reville, Payne, Starcevich

Either Sharp or Fletcher as sub

Pretty sure momentum is what you need in the finals
I would argue no last minute injuries.

And in all honestly we have no momentum. A one game momentum streak doesn't mean much after the last two losses.

With how we are having to utilize our depth, 4 points and the clean bill of health is all I wanted.

Realistically the same performance 3 weeks in a row, the difference is the Bombers lack the quality of GWS & Collingwood to actually finish the job. That's the harsh truth.

I didn't think we were that amazing tonight. Maybe reached 4th/5th gear a few times but largely in 2nd & 3rd is how I saw it. Incredibly concerning how we can just grind to a halt so often but on the flip our ability to get out of the gate & start well could be huge come finals if we can just be more accurate & finish better.

Some great individual efforts tonight and our best is still league leading IMO if you look at our body of work against the Power/Dogs/Swans in our winning streak but our recent form needs rectifiying or it'll be a short finals campaign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Back