Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Who were your five best players against Essendon?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our goal kicking woes have become so high profile in the media and with our players this week, I do worry that it will exacerbate our yips. I can't say I am being comforted by any of the narrative coming from players. So much will depend on us nailing the first few regulation goals to get this monkey off our backs.

Did all of our losses come from the 12?

I had a look at this very point a few days ago

Did all of our losses come from the 12?
No: 5 wins and 7 losses

Score Goals-BehindsResult and MarginOpponent
10-1934-point win Suns
11-20 5-point winDemons
11-132-point winSwans
13-1528-point winSuns
11-2120-point winBombers
12-131-point lossBlues
10-1220-point lossPies
4-1326-point lossCats
8-1154-point lossGiants
10-1525-point lossHawks
8-1618-point lossGiants
11-121-point lossPies

As a basketball fan, shooting percentages and the mystery of when and why your players/teams shoot better than or worse than their averages is a constant conversation, especially since 3-pointers became so prevalent in recent years

Of course injury, fatigue and being overwhelmed by big moments are all factors in the short term but, in the end, shooting will always tend to regress to the mean…so while out goalkicking is very bad right now, it’s good to know that it’s almost guaranteed to improve if we stick at it and just ‘keep shooting’

let’s hope the week off refreshes us physically and mentally and that the regression starts v Carlton 🙏

You're right. Train as you play.

Repetition is only of any benefit if you are seeking to change/improve/refine your technique. Other than that it should be, where possible, woven into other drills, which are likely to cause fatigue, whether by running or being involved in contests.

We often hear stories of batsmen have 5 minutes in the nets, say "yep that's pretty good" and that's the end of it. Come out and make an awesome hundred. If you are hitting them well that's all you need.

Quality over quantity.
Part of my problem is several players dont seem to have a nailed down technique. Guys like Charlie are rocking up to each set shot with seemingly no set plan and constantly changing their minds. Look at Hawkins who knows exactly what shot he wants to take no matter where he marks the ball, and he nails it more often than not.

So they arent even set up with the right technique to train. There's no point spending 5 mins feeling good but your routine is all over the shop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Essendon

Back