Preview Round 24 - Essendon vs Brisbane Lion - Saturday 24 August - 7:25 PM - The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Round 24 is almost upon us and is thankfully the last time we’ll see Essington run out this year believe me, this will be an Essington game through and through. The conclusion to another piss-weak wasted season with a shitty middle-of-the-table finish.

Once again we watch teams who were shit a couple of years ago fly past us while we wilt away, afraid to lose.. But far too shit to win anything that matters.

It’s a mercy this game is away, as it spares us the embarrassment of record-low crowds, cause who the **** can still be invested?

North has had a more positive season than us.. And that’s not hyperbole. Essendon are so scared of losing, that they go into games not to win, but to avoid losing. It’s why we have no true killer instinct, and it’s why give up so easily, like we did against Sydney last night and like we did against St Kilda, and Port. It’s why only beat West Coast when they were pathetic by 5 points. It’s like we think there is some great honour in avoiding the bottom 4 each season.

AD_4nXeq1RVdGm3nuQTFLtx8y46Wruh2H88oQeumSn--VX1hrs_XTyLKV2lvJGeQGPdV87V8Bte3lnzX30dig7inn15HS4CAaztKgvizbpNA0rhQZGoxN0eN51CZAC3YIyjnmcGra-tNPaw34h2Iu8WRECUVPEy-

We had so few truly dominant moments in the season, but I know that next year will be almost identical to this. Nothing will change and we’ll be looking for another new coach in 2025, because Brad will try and blow up the list and the board won’t let him and will try and convince us that the list is actually good. I believe we have a bottom 4 list currently; and I believe it would have been in our best interest to be a bottom 4 team this year.

When we were winning early, I was hoping like hell I was wrong about this team; I wasn’t; we’re ****ed for a long time still. Glad we’re paying millions to a player who can’t handball though.

The Round Before The Round That Was

Actually, good result - Weid is no good, stringer is no good, Merret/Shiel/Parish just doesn't ****en work, and Langford can’t play a full-season forward effectively.. Langford can’t play a full season effectively if we are being really honest here. Redman is a ****en moron, our defenders can’t defend (Statistically 3 of the worst 1-on-1 defenders including McFumbles) getting average players from shit teams is a great plan for success. Ridley is injured, reid injured, cox injured, and McGrath is a below-average footballer who is absolutely useless at generating forward attacks.. Best give him kick in duties.

Oh well, I’m sure they will also be back next season, apart from more second rate players from other cellar dwellers.

AD_4nXfw6TXx41_DTgr5PqtFA1UryktQ_tigHFQVpi5aOIKdnKnSU-WlrlQD_dUQGydqkYz9PbtRTJ0Mpu1YnUsnAcTaNAlkkbQAIQaai6JJnc6uSuKX3oYH3F4CzhJZVzDCHQhojyHQ91Dh8AQbLrLYU1q0nIY

Oh, apparently the players are all upset Heppell didn’t get a farewell game; don’t worry, we fans are more upset that many of the players out there on Friday also didn’t get a farewell game.

ESSENDON 3.1 4.5 5.10 8.11 (59)
SYDNEY 2.2 3.4 9.7 15.8 (98)

GOALS
Essendon: Martin 3, Draper, Stringer, Jones, Caldwell, Langford
Sydney: Parker 3, Heeney 3, Hayward 3, Campbell 2, Amartey 2, Cleary, Florent

BEST
Essendon: Martin, Laverde, Draper, Caldwell, Roberts
Sydney: Gulden, Blakey, Cleary, Florent, Campbell, Heeney

INJURIES
Essendon: Nil
Sydney: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Essendon: Jye Menzie (replaced Nick Bryan in the fourth quarter)
Sydney: Corey Warner (replaced Taylor Adams in the fourth quarter)

Brisbane on the hand ****ed it up completely and likely cost hem themselves a top 4 spot with a loss to the pies.
COLLINGWOOD 2.4 5.6 7.8 11.13 (79)
BRISBANE 6.4 6.5 9.10 11.12 (78)

GOALS
Collingwood:
McStay 2, N.Daicos 2, Schultz 2, McCreery 2, Quaynor, Hoskin-Elliott, Cameron
Brisbane:
Daniher 4, Neale 2, Lohmann 2, McInerney, Bailey, Cameron

BEST
Collingwood:
N.Daicos, Sidebottom, Howe, Cameron, J.Daicos
Brisbane:
Zorko, Daniher, Neale, Ashcroft, Fletcher

INJURIES
Collingwood:
TBC
Brisbane:
Berry (hamstring)

SUBSTITUTES
Collingwood:
Ned Long, replaced Jack Bytel at three-quarter time
Brisbane:
Harry Sharp, replaced Jarrod Berry at quarter-time

Crowd: 61,218 at the MCG

The Last Time We Met

Lol, it was almost identical to Friday nights game vs Sydney.
AD_4nXeAAfyu7sPWlzsDPzNV7m2MAIF-Pqy2XT342W9_Of2Ko5xew7wWdgnQQARyX6XN8BoO11hpPrUfTGrsyE3MDiN3D853Z7W4Z5Nphxb2Ok1RZNt0aT_cWJIUR_tA7zo7Qwum8Z5TD9GJs24a7BWf9-VftPY4

2024 eh -
AD_4nXdcZsKKGaVX1NqCmbqbeLb87C-3EqTiER0nmlTIByjEIc20KHNUungHY9TvDgiN8I9d91gnan7jmtMP7DBEfqHh-ztvGQJixMzxZEyMhjccWQkLuE3cjeX5Zyhbmsg72oG7lqYeSvf2GtwFDmMvrG82jX98

BRISBANE 2.2 2.7 7.11 12.15 (87)
ESSENDON 1.3 4.5 5.6 6.9 (45)

GOALS
Brisbane: Daniher 6, Bailey 2, McInerney, Hipwood, McCarthy, Rayner
Essendon: Langford 2, Stringer, Perkins, Menzie, McDonald-Tipungwuti

BEST
Brisbane: Daniher, Neale, Andrews, Ashcroft, Coleman, Zorko
Essendon: Redman, Merrett, McGrath, Langford, Hobbs, Setterfield

INJURIES
Brisbane: Nil
Essendon: Nil

LATE CHANGES
Brisbane: Nil
Essendon: Alwyn Davey jnr replaced in selected side by Massimo D’Ambrosio

SUBSTITUTES
Brisbane: Noah Answerth (replaced Dayne Zorko in the fourth quarter)
Essendon: Alwyn Davey jnr (replaced D'Ambrosio in the fourth quarter)

Crowd: 31,898 at the Gabba

The Selection Table

Possible Outs -

Menzie -
Laverde -
Weid - It’s done, we’ve proven he can’t do a Liam Jones or Rory Lobb.
Stringer/Langford - Can’t play these 2 alongside 2 bigs.. But of course, we still will
Perkins - Didn’t deserve to be back in the team anyways
Parish - I know. Won’t happen, but **** me stop playing Hobbs forward to accommodate him
Kelly - Zero point playing him any more. Negatives outweigh the positives

Possible Ins -
Tsatas - Just has to be givev a game - Put him 100% of the time in the guts and watch him shine - **** parish off to HFF/Bench, early vacation if need be.
Setterfield - Not sure for who though
Hayes - No VFL games nest week, so give him a debut.
El Hawli - Too good for VFL, woudl love to see him debut too.
Wanganeen - Been solid lately and would be worth a look at afl level
ADJ - Nothing to lose playing him now

My Prediction - We’re ****ed

AD_4nXcY1OCeIuTqj_Y6MzIF5I9GrD0wHS2eoynW1B0FNWdJmCB_ry_ascA-P9b1vpAHq6fgbVDXe7AZIcu7NRCUStXyjDJGIhYcSjZYRoXvLrfTo0AQQ0kf__mFI2-kACuilP_uIDrisOWh1qORpSUWP_OaOn3a

Lions by 60+

Ok okay, Positive thoughts needed:

Archie Roberts showed he has the ability to be an AFL player for Sure.

Caddy looks an impressive get for the season

Jones has managed ot string a fair few games together without being injured, and despite spending half a season on the wing has kicked a resealable amount of goals.

Marto proved once again that he has the best goal-kicking nuance in the club

Dodo is gone
Sheedy is gone to an extent

Heppell retired - Great bloke, and off-field leader, terrible on-field leader - I can see why McGrath was the natural replacement.

Shiel hopefully boosted his trade value - Or helped push Parish onto trade table

Bryan proved that he has real value at AFL level; hopefully can work through some of his flaws, but needs to play 1st ruck next season imo.

Thanks everyone for the kind words, reactions and tuning in each week to what was not more than a pathetic rant most of the time. Someone else please volunteer for next year… It’s bad when I have to fake loving this team, but I can’t even fake hating them anymore… I don’t even hate our rivals in more (Except Carlton, **** them with a horse-sized dildo).. Just envy them.

AD_4nXck95gZ7kmFYez4nbg0SFrgKNaXUXdbifWs24xt3N3PLIAxd5rww0peK8MzwSJBmHf6bmAZ4wQ0JbgpPJ_b3MNTuimh93V_43IEJrGh_Nx0uj6x1ZtMdBz51-Wl33zxBFMTRVqzYNDT4tZzBUcmoEar5isv

Last edited:

Could get pretty ugly and the cupboard is getting pretty bare in terms of changes we can make, but early thoughts;-

OUT: Kelly, Menzie, Weid
IN: Hind, SEH. Hayes

Hayes McKay Mcgrath
Perkins Lav Redman
Merrett Parish Roberts
Martin Caddy SEH
Langford Draper Gresham

Bryan Caldwell Shiel

Bench: Durham Hobbs Hind Jones
SUB: Stringer

On form, this will be one of those games that Joe kicks as many goals for the game as the entire EFC.

In: Hayes, Wanganeen, El-Hawli, Setterfield.
Out: Laverde, Kelly, Menzie, Gresham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Weids, Menzie, Perkins, Gresh, Jones, Stringer
In: Hayes, Hind, Davey, El-Hawali, Setterfield, Tex

Change half the team, **** it

Essendon will win this.. nothing surer

Pressure off, nothing to play for (finals are out of the race) so we'll come out "breathing fire".

ORRR

We come out and absolutely switch off, lose by that yearly 15 goals in the last round

no we ****in wont.

this will be an absolutely pantsing.

At this stage the only thing that will bother me will be a blowout. Hopefully we can close out the season on a competitive note.
Hopefully a blowout might force the off-season changes required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back