Preview Round 24 v Gold Coast MCG Saturday August 24th 3.20pm - The Last Dance?

Should We Play Potential Departing Players This Week

• Yes

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • No

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's finally here, the last game of a horror 2024 season where everything that could go wrong has gone wrong as far as having our best players available for the majority of the year and this could be the last dance for a lot of the 2017-2020 premiership era players and some off field staff

We've already seen Dusty retire, chance are Grimes joins him some time this week, while the likes of Baker Bolton Graham & Rioli could also be playing their final game in the yellow and black with plenty of speculation that all 4 will announce their intentions to depart in the next fortnight once our season actually ends. Not only is it the players, but it will also be Brendan Gales final game as Richmond CEO and although some have said he should have departed the moment it was announced he was heading to Tasmania, I'm glad that he'll be there to be part of the final game for the season and have a chance to also be given a send off by the faithful who owe him as much as anyone for the period of success that the club achieved.

As for the game itself, well it's a chance for us to have a much needed win to end the season. The Suns were horrible against Melbourne up on the Gold Coast last weekend and much like us, it would appear that a lot of them have also checked out and are looking forward to the end of the season. Outside beating Essendon at Marvel, the Suns haven't really been competitive away from their home ground and while we've also been largely uncompetitive we should have a great chance against the Suns.

What I'd like to see is Yze give the side the chance to play the run and gun style they initially tried to play against the Hawks before it went pear shaped. The first 5 minutes or so when we were counter attacking off HB and surging through the middle certainly got crowd up and about before the lack of composure/execution caused the turnover and saw us get opened up the other way. Against the Suns who don't have much to play for it could be a great opportunity to give the players some freedom to have a crack and see if they can execute an exciting attacking game plan.

Line Up I'd Like To See:

In: M.Rioli Sonsie Dow Smith
Out: Bolton D.Rioli Graham Prestia

B: Miller Broad Blight
HB: Smith Trezise Vlastuin
C: Ralphsmith Taranto Banks
HF: Mansell Bauer Baker
F: Koschitzke Balta M.Rioli
R: Nankervis Sonsie Dow
INT: Short Campbell Hopper Ross Coulthard

It won't happen but I'd like to see us run out like this for the last game. If we know that Bolton Daniel Graham & Baker are leaving, even if it's not made public don't play them. Last thing we'd want when trying to cash in at the trade table would be unfortunate injuries and given the way our season has unfolded the odds are pretty good that at least 1 of them would suffer a LTI that would scupper trade plans.

Instead of that we'll likely get the usual shuffling of the deckchairs and field a pretty similar side to the one we have the last few weeks.

tiger yawn GIF

For the record we need to make up about 10 goals to pass North on % if we win and they lose.

Gold Coast has it in for us. Smasha's hashtag strongly applies here.

Noah Anderson et al. will probably play like they're playing for a top 4 berth.

Well it's finally here, the last game of a horror 2024 season where everything that could go wrong has gone wrong as far as having our best players available for the majority of the year and this could be the last dance for a lot of the 2017-2020 premiership era players and some off field staff

We've already seen Dusty retire, chance are Grimes joins him some time this week, while the likes of Baker Bolton Graham & Rioli could also be playing their final game in the yellow and black with plenty of speculation that all 4 will announce their intentions to depart in the next fortnight once our season actually ends. Not only is it the players, but it will also be Brendan Gales final game as Richmond CEO and although some have said he should have departed the moment it was announced he was heading to Tasmania, I'm glad that he'll be there to be part of the final game for the season and have a chance to also be given a send off by the faithful who owe him as much as anyone for the period of success that the club achieved.

As for the game itself, well it's a chance for us to have a much needed win to end the season. The Suns were horrible against Melbourne up on the Gold Coast last weekend and much like us, it would appear that a lot of them have also checked out and are looking forward to the end of the season. Outside beating Essendon at Marvel, the Suns haven't really been competitive away from their home ground and while we've also been largely uncompetitive we should have a great chance against the Suns.

What I'd like to see is Yze give the side the chance to play the run and gun style they initially tried to play against the Hawks before it went pear shaped. The first 5 minutes or so when we were counter attacking off HB and surging through the middle certainly got crowd up and about before the lack of composure/execution caused the turnover and saw us get opened up the other way. Against the Suns who don't have much to play for it could be a great opportunity to give the players some freedom to have a crack and see if they can execute an exciting attacking game plan.

Line Up I'd Like To See:

In: M.Rioli Sonsie Dow Smith
Out: Bolton D.Rioli Graham Prestia

B: Miller Broad Blight
HB: Smith Trezise Vlastuin
C: Ralphsmith Taranto Banks
HF: Mansell Bauer Baker
F: Koschitzke Balta M.Rioli
R: Nankervis Sonsie Dow
INT: Short Campbell Hopper Ross Coulthard

It won't happen but I'd like to see us run out like this for the last game. If we know that Bolton Daniel Graham & Baker are leaving, even if it's not made public don't play them. Last thing we'd want when trying to cash in at the trade table would be unfortunate injuries and given the way our season has unfolded the odds are pretty good that at least 1 of them would suffer a LTI that would scupper trade plans.

Instead of that we'll likely get the usual shuffling of the deckchairs and field a pretty similar side to the one we have the last few weeks.
With the VFL playing the wildcard round it will be interesting if they drop eligible players back to give us the strongest possible team.
MRJ played an awesome last quarter so might come in, especially if ineligible for VFL.
This might mean they drop Blight back. Not sure what is better for him, VFL wildcard or AFL seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not ready to say goodbye to #4

I’m ready to say BOOOOOOOOOO to #29

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
**** off. He helped bring us 2 flags and signed a long term contract with us which means worst case we get a strong return for trading him. Hes done right by us at every step, don't be a campaigner.

Agree with this.
Also would like Baker and Rioli to make a call before the game. If they aren’t invested in the club moving forward, give their spots to players that are.
This game means literally nothing and will have virtually no difference to the development of any player. We should be bringing in Grimes if anything and he can just stand at full back all day.

Id rather cheer off guys that have given us so much than get 1 more game into a couple young kids that won't be anything more than a glorified training drill

Agree with this.
Also would like Baker and Rioli to make a call before the game. If they aren’t invested in the club moving forward, give their spots to players that are.
Don't want them injured now do we.

This game means literally nothing and will have virtually no difference to the development of any player. We should be bringing in Grimes if anything and he can just stand at full back all day
I didn’t mention development.
I talked of giving spots to players invested in the club moving forward.
Although the well is almost dry at VFL level.
Grimes is well and truly cooked. If the club believed that he could have realistically played, they would have done so. Unfortunately his back is so bad he wouldn’t last a quarter as the sub.

I didn’t mention development.
I talked of giving spots to players invested in the club moving forward.
Although the well is almost dry at VFL level.
Grimes is well and truly cooked. If the club believed that he could have realistically played, they would have done so. Unfortunately his back is so bad he wouldn’t last a quarter as the sub.I didn’t mention development

Then what's the point? Why do you pick a team? It's either to win the game by picking the best team or to improve by picking guys to develop them for the future.

We don't care about winning so I'd you dont care about development then why? What does picking them over departing plays achieve?

Grimes is definitely cooked. But that's my point, it matters so little I would pick him just to sit on the bench all day and wave to the crowd.

Going to be an interesting rest of the week to see if there’s anymore announcements.

We’ll be farewelling Dusty, Grimes & Gale. Assuming it will be Rioli, Bolton, Baker & Grahams last game in the Yellow and Black so body language will tell come the final siren.

I really want to win this for some momentum going into the pre season.

Then what's the point? Why do you pick a team? It's either to win the game by picking the best team or to improve by picking guys to develop them for the future.

We don't care about winning so I'd you dont care about development then why? What does picking them over departing plays achieve?

Grimes is definitely cooked. But that's my point, it matters so little I would pick him just to sit on the bench all day and wave to the crowd.
It’s about intent and commitment.
If a player isn’t invested in the club why pick him?
So he can be indulged with a send off game?

Forget it, let them sit out the game and have a player in the side who wants to play for the jumper.

Thats why.
In a season of shite I’m not fussed if we don’t win on the weekend (which is the likelihood anyway). But I want to see players out there that want to be there.

The problem is we have so little in our VFL side to choose from.

It’s about intent and commitment.
If a player isn’t invested in the club why pick him?
So he can be indulged with a send off game?

Forget it, let them sit out the game and have a player in the side who wants to play for the jumper.

Thats why.
In a season of shite I’m not fussed if we don’t win on the weekend (which is the likelihood anyway). But I want to see players out there that want to be there.

The problem is we have so little in our VFL side to choose from.
I would prefer to put as many eligible players in the 2s as possible to try to get a win there. There will be bugger all development for any of the kids in the last game against Gold Coast. It'll be a bruise free, kick to kick, borefest. Much better having the kids playing in a finals type game with a possibility of another week to further their progress.

Agree with this.
trade talk about Baker, Rioli & Bolton all year long doesn't guarantee they leave the club. Suns & Dockers offer a 4th rounders for 'em.. I'd hazard a guess we decline.

In the meantime suit up for RFC.

I’m not ready to say goodbye to #4

I’m ready to say BOOOOOOOOOO to #29

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Can’t agree with this, If in fact he wants out for family reasons then booing him is a pathetic act really. Richmond premiership player regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back