Round 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Friday night - Collingwood v Geelong
Saturday 2pm - Gold Coast v Hawthorn and Bulldogs v Fremantle
Saturday twilight - West Coast v Adelaide
Saturday night - Carlton v St Kilda and Sydney v Brisbane
Sunday 1pm Richmond v North (if North can still make finals, if not then twilight)
Sunday afternoon - Port v Melbourne

The AFL have announced the rd 24 schedule

Coll v Geel - Friday night 7:40pm

GC v Haw - Sat Arvo 1:10pm
WB v Frem - Sat Arvo 2:10pm
Syd v Bris - Sat Arvo 4:10pm
Carl v Stk - Sat Night 7:10pm
WC v Adel - Sat Night 7:10pm

Port v Melb - Sun Arvo 2:40pm
Rich v North - Sun Arvo 4:40pm

Looks pretty good to me.

That looks about right to me. I expect North people will say they have been hard-done by but in reality there are 6 games that will almost certainly feature finalists. The only other game you could consider putting on Sunday would be Freo vs Bulldogs, but it would not be fair to ask Freo to travel on a Sunday before the finals.

Actually, Melbourne have more right to complain than North. They are travelling and currently have a better Match Ratio than North. Not that either of them will actually make the finals - well done AFL.

Anyone who thinks Collingwood v Geelong is the Friday night game is crazy - why?

Or not....

Friday Night: 1st Elimination Final Carlton versus Essendon (MCG - 7.40pm - 7)
Saturday Afternoon: 2nd Elimination Final Sydney versus St. Kilda (ANZ Stadium - 2.30pm - 10)
Saturday Night: 2nd Qualifying Final Geelong v Hawthorn (MCG - 7.40pm - 10)
Sunday Afternoon: 1st Qualifying Final Collingwood v West Coast (MCG -2.30pm - 7)

The 2nd week (using logical outcomes - upset wins notwithstanding):

Friday night: Geelong/Hawthorn v Sydney/St. Kilda (Etihad/MCG - 7.40pm - 7)
Saturday night: Collingwood/West Coast v Carlton/Essendon (Subiaco/MCG - 7.40pm - 10)

Given West Coast is travelling, it would be a bit unfair on them to get back to Perth late Sunday night when their opponents played Friday night

Friday Night- Geelong v Hawthorn
Sat Arvo- Collingwood v West Coast
Sat Night- Sydney v St Kilda
Sun Arvo- Essendon v Carlton

Gives the Qualifying finalists an advantage over their opponent for the following week

Obviously to reduce St Kildas travel effects they may swap the Saturday games, but they would likely prefer a Saturday night game in Sydney

The problem with that one Eddie is the length of break Essendon between it's match against Port Adelaide to confirm a finals place and playing Carlton.

Whilst good for injury recovery, the only blokes who would be playing are those selected for Bendigo in the finals during the bye week. I believe the break would be 15 days. That's a long time between games.

The problem with that one Eddie is the length of break Essendon between it's match against Port Adelaide to confirm a finals place and playing Carlton.

Whilst good for injury recovery, the only blokes who would be playing are those selected for Bendigo in the finals during the bye week. I believe the break would be 15 days. That's a long time between games.
That is a bit of an issue, but at the end of the day if they do make finals it will be in 8th so they are the last team when it comes to fixturing considerations

With 3 MCG games one game has to be on the Sunday and really the elimination final is better for that slot as its unfair on West Coast to play them that late due to travel

But those spots 4-5 and 7-8 will make a big difference to fixturing, say if Eagles finish 5th then they will probably end up playing Friday Night against Essendon or whoever finishes 8th

Fixed it for you, just made a slight error champ

you are dreaming if you think you'll knock off the eagles over there. Couldn't even beat them here!

Knew that'd raise some eyebrows. Reason for that tip:

- Blues have had more recent finals experience
- Blues will be very upset if they miss top 4, good motivation
- Blues will be very keen to get back at WCE after our last game
- WCE will probably be belted by Collingwood in week 1 giving their confidence a hiding
- WCE has had a ridiculous rise on the ladder, crashing at the end wouldn't be that suprising
- WCE have gone out in straight sets in 07 with a better team against a worse team than Carlton is now

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Not sure why for the last round the AFL wouldn't have made this an early game, or even a normal time start of 2:10 being the only game that day In melbourne. It's not like this game is clashing with any other games in Melbourne on that day!

Round 24 revealed

I know there's another thread but thats more or less speculation, anyway here it is. (mods can merge this to other thread if seen necessary)

AFL Round 24 Fixture

Collingwood v Geelong (MCG), Friday September 2, 7.40pm (AEST)

Gold Coast v Hawthorn (Metricon Stadium), Saturday September 3, 1.10pm (AEST)

Western Bulldogs v Fremantle (Etihad Stadium), Saturday September 3, 2.10pm (AEST)

Sydney v Brisbane Lions (SCG), Saturday September 3, 4.10pm (AEST)

Carlton v St Kilda (MCG), Saturday September 3, 7.10pm (AEST)

West Coast v Adelaide (Patersons Stadium), Saturday September 3, 7.10pm (AEST)

Port Adelaide v Melbourne (Adelaide Oval), Sunday September 4, 2.40pm (AEST)

Richmond v North Melbourne (Etihad Stadium), Sunday September 4, 4.40pm (AEST)

TV, 4:40 is probably a better slot and in the end it makes no difference whatsoever to finals

Anyway just been doing a finals predictor and not sure how Pazza had Essendon making the finals and Freo missing out?

Collingwood v West Coast
Geelong v Hawthorn
Carlton v Sydney
Fremantle v St Kilda

Now that will make scheduling the 1st week of finals alot more difficult, Freo v St Kilda has to be Saturday but the 3 MCG games could be in any order, could end up with Cats v Hawks on Sunday but that leaves Eagles a 6 day break before 1st final however a 7 day break for 2nd week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Round 24 revealed

What chance is there of the temperature reaching 30 degrees on a saturday arvo at gold coast?

I thought the Suns V Hawks match would have been moved to night so the Hawks dont have to play in blinding heat..

Anyway, meh...evrything is pretty much on the money i would have thought.

Not happy about the FOX for the Hawks. Hopefully it will be a dead rubber for us and we can send Box Hill to play (apparantly thats OK freo)

Friday, September 2
Collingwood v Geelong Cats at the MCG, 7.40pm (Channel 7)

Saturday, September 3
Gold Coast Suns v Hawthorn at Metricon Stadium, 1.10pm (Fox Sports)
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle at Etihad Stadium, 2.10pm (Network Ten)
Sydney Swans v Brisbane Lions at the SCG, 4.10pm (Fox Sports)
Carlton v St Kilda at the MCG, 7.10pm (Network Ten)
West Coast v Adelaide Crows at Patersons Stadium, 5.10pm (Fox Sports)

Sunday, September 4
Port Adelaide v Melbourne at Adelaide Oval, 2.40pm (Channel 7)
Richmond v North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium, 4.40pm (Fox Sports)

Add essendon v GCS on sunday - is this the schedule for footy from 2012 on ?

TV, 4:40 is probably a better slot and in the end it makes no difference whatsoever to finals

Anyway just been doing a finals predictor and not sure how Pazza had Essendon making the finals and Freo missing out?

Collingwood v West Coast
Geelong v Hawthorn
Carlton v Sydney
Fremantle v St Kilda

Now that will make scheduling the 1st week of finals alot more difficult, Freo v St Kilda has to be Saturday but the 3 MCG games could be in any order, could end up with Cats v Hawks on Sunday but that leaves Eagles a 6 day break before 1st final however a 7 day break for 2nd week

Worked it out this way. Essendon loses to Collingwood and West Coast, but, beats Sydney, Bulldogs and Port Adelaide at Etihad. That gives the side 11.5 wins. St. Kilda gets the same (wins over Gold Coast, Sydney (A) and Fremantle (Etihad) - losses to Collingwood, North Melbourne and Carlton).

Have Freo losing to Hawthorn, St. Kilda, Carlton, North Melbourne, Collingwood and the Bulldogs. Both Melbourne and North Melbourne will pass Fremantle.

Knew that'd raise some eyebrows. Reason for that tip:

- Blues have had more recent finals experience
- Blues will be very upset if they miss top 4, good motivation
- Blues will be very keen to get back at WCE after our last game
- WCE will probably be belted by Collingwood in week 1 giving their confidence a hiding
- WCE has had a ridiculous rise on the ladder, crashing at the end wouldn't be that suprising
- WCE have gone out in straight sets in 07 with a better team against a worse team than Carlton is now

But hey, that's just my opinion.

- you mean carl's two monumental chokes in elimination finals in the last 2 years? great experience for them that was. the way they sh!t themselves against syd last year showed they'd learnt nothing from the year before. as opposed to an eagles team that will contain a number of premiership players who have returned to their best footy this year - i am pretty sure the finals don't hold too many fears for the likes of kerr cox glass lynch nicoski embley selwood etc. even the likes of priddis hurn and lecras were there in the 07 campaign

- you mean the game where the eagles belted carlton in melb? just imagine what they might do to them at home?

- and carl this year are a better team than a coll team that won a final in perth in 07 and then 6 days later pushed a team acknowledged as one of the best ever to less than a kick in a prelim? i wouldn't have thought so

but that's just my take

Not sure why for the last round the AFL wouldn't have made this an early game, or even a normal time start of 2:10 being the only game that day In melbourne. It's not like this game is clashing with any other games in Melbourne on that day!

One word - Foxtel that twilight games is all for the tv networks. I think they need to have one every single round

Collingwood will play their QF on the Sunday, the AFL always give the top team maximum break for their first final, which is fair enough they deserve the reward and all the benefits for finishing on top

St. Kilda losing to North? Unlikely. Would think Freo have a good chance of beating one of Hawks and Blues over at Subi. Also think Saints are a good chance against Carlton. Freo should probably beat Dogs and North, too.

When are tickets released?
From the MCG website

Public tickets: Reserved seats will go on sale on Monday August 1 from 9.00am. Tickets will be available to purchase via Ticketek.
MCC members: Visitor tickets and reserved seats will go on sale on Monday August 1 from 9am through Ticketek.
AFL members: Tickets for Round 24 will go on sale on Friday August 5 at 9.00am through Ticketek.

http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Upcoming%20Events/Event%20Details.aspx?eid=43e0a0a0-a1d9-4bc2-bd53-00e68fea7562

Worked it out this way. Essendon loses to Collingwood and West Coast, but, beats Sydney, Bulldogs and Port Adelaide at Etihad. That gives the side 11.5 wins. St. Kilda gets the same (wins over Gold Coast, Sydney (A) and Fremantle (Etihad) - losses to Collingwood, North Melbourne and Carlton).

Have Freo losing to Hawthorn, St. Kilda, Carlton, North Melbourne, Collingwood and the Bulldogs. Both Melbourne and North Melbourne will pass Fremantle.
I had Sydney beating Essendon, but even changing that around it ends up with Essendon tied with the loser of Sydney v St Kilda and comes down to %

As for Freo, really? I might have been a bit generous with them, but I would expect them to beat Bulldogs, North and Carlton, even Hawthorn could go either way as they did beat them in finals and it is in Perth but there is no way they will miss

Interestingly if Freo drop 1 or more of those games I expect them to win and St Kilda beats Sydney then we get 4 Melbourne finals in week 1

We get the last game of the year again, but I can see why this time. They just have to reward the teams certain to get higher ranking finishes with the longest breaks before finals.

If North scrape into the bottom of the eight they'll only have one day's rest less than their opponent, which is not a big deal - and it's better to play late Sunday in Melbourne than be on the road.

Freo/Dogs is the only game that looks to be played unnecessarily early, but with final position and travel needs for Freo being an unknown I guess that's a reasonable call.

Or not....

Given West Coast is travelling, it would be a bit unfair on them to get back to Perth late Sunday night when their opponents played Friday night

Friday Night- Geelong v Hawthorn
Sat Arvo- Collingwood v West Coast
Sat Night- Sydney v St Kilda
Sun Arvo- Essendon v Carlton

Gives the Qualifying finalists an advantage over their opponent for the following week

Obviously to reduce St Kildas travel effects they may swap the Saturday games, but they would likely prefer a Saturday night game in Sydney

That looks pretty fair, but I would guess that West Coast Collingwood would be Saturday night due to the WC travel factor, and playing later than St Kilda the week before. Much of a muchness though.

Any system that means teams who travel get at least a 7 day break is pretty good in my books.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back