AFLW Round 3 - 2024 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unimportant gripe, but I've heard it said about 100 times this year: "Katie Brennan - longest serving AFLW captain"...

ehhhh, sorta? Actual matches skippered is the relevant stat, I'd have thought.

Ellie Blackburn - 64
Emma Kearney - 61
Chelsea Randall - 60
Katie Brennan - 55 including today
Daisy Pearce - 55

The way Richmond are playing today is far different than the rubbish they dished up in the 1st half vs WC.

On expected scores they should have won the game vs WC by a margin.

WC pressure and setups are very good though so they'll compete hard but I would lock them into 17th.
I think West Coast are better than 17th, I would think they are a good chance of winning next week against Collingwood and they also have winnable games against GWS and Port Adelaide over the next few weeks before they have a tougher run in the final half of the season. With a bit of luck and strong performances from their better players like Roberts, Britton and Drennan and they could win as many as 5. Can't see them playing finals, but a respectable 10-12th place is a possibility.

Unimportant gripe, but I've heard it said about 100 times this year: "Katie Brennan - longest serving AFLW captain"...

ehhhh, sorta? Actual matches skippered is the relevant stat, I'd have thought.

Ellie Blackburn - 64
Emma Kearney - 61
Chelsea Randall - 60
Katie Brennan - 55 including today
Daisy Pearce - 55
But I think she has been Captain or co-Captain every season of the AFLW.

But I think she has been Captain or co-Captain every season of the AFLW.
But hasn't captained the most games. Some might call this "trivia".

But hasn't captained the most games. Some might call this "trivia".
Just because she hasn't captained the most games, doesn't mean she isn't the longest serving Captain.

GWS should chop West Coast up, based on what we've seen so far.

Fremantle looks like a more winnable game for the Eagles (though I may change my mind on that within the next four hours).

Just because she hasn't captained the most games, doesn't mean she isn't the longest serving Captain.
How do you know she hasn't captained the most games?

How do you know she hasn't captained the most games?
Firstly, because she has missed about 25 games through injury over her career, and secondly because you listed the players that have Captained the most games about 5 or 6 posts ago.

because you listed all the players that have Captained the most games about 5 or 6 posts ago.
With that in mind, one ought to assume I was also already aware of the years in which they've all been captain.

With that in mind, one ought to assume I was also already aware of the years in which they've all been captain.
And so, why complain when they are factually correct.

And to assume is to make an ass out of you.

Just because Garner kicked the 1st, 1000th and 2000th AFLW goal, doesn't mean she kicked all of the first 2000 goals.

We need to inform the poor foolish tweeter about this bombshell. Unless the poster is just being puckish? No, couldn't possibly be the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not clear you know what length means, as opposed to most.
Ok, so you think I'm an idiot. But what do you think of these articles:

No response? Didn't fink so. Ya'll got Teen Wolf'd HARD>>>

Free kicks 4-9, Geelong's way. I sense a complaint was lodged at Monday 9am, from out Kardinia Park way. Hasn't helped their cause enough so far.

Well well well, this script-flipping by the Blues has got me feeling like a hot little potato right now.

I know the Carlton fans are still miffed by the Prespakis comp-free departure, and not without cause, but juuuuust modulate it a little with the acknowledgment of the AFL-sanctioned gift that is Abbie McKay and the fact there's plenty more where that came from too.

Phoebe McWilliams AGAIN the only person on planet earth to tip Carlton. Got the shits with the Cats for shipping her off? Or is she just so much smarter off the field than on it? (wouldn't be hard)

There was a sequence in the middle of that quarter, largely launched by a ridiculous gather and give by Keeley Skepper, which would have been the greatest wet weather play in the history of our game. Except it ended with a miss from like 10 metres out from goal.

Phoebe McWilliams AGAIN the only person on planet earth to tip Carlton. Got the shits with the Cats for shipping her off? Or is she just so much smarter off the field than on it? (wouldn't be hard)
Or maybe she saw Geelong celebrating a H&A draw last week like it was a GF win? Never a good sign. And it was a draw which they should've been pissed about, given they played better for longer.

You always want to factor in how much of an NBA-like difference the stars make in AFLW--just see Sydney v Richmond earlier--but still... this has been a truly pathetic showing by a PF team vs 12th last year.

It's almost as if words can have multiple meanings, the intended one of which can be inferred from context.

The two BOGs today:

PlayerAFGBDKHMTHOCLRMGGAToG%
Ellie McKenzie84002313107104432077

PlayerAFGBDKHMTHOCLRMGGAToG%
Madeleine Guerin116103121103508583078

Fitzroy faithful, make some noise!

I find it interesting that the term "Longest Serving" is used in the articles title and in the first line by the author's but when it comes to the showing the actual list of players and the number of games they have Captained there is no mention of Longest Serving, but instead they use the total number of games.

Also, being of an older generation, I was taught that Longest meant distance or length, as in length of time, which if reading the two articles means that Ted Whitten is the longest serving Captain having Captained the Dogs for 19 years. So, unless the meaning of Longest has changed since I went to school the 1980's then all we have is another two examples of poor journalism.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back