Preview Round 3 v Fremantle - Sunday 14 February, 12:40pm, Coopers Stadium (Norwood)

Remove this Banner Ad

My kingdom for some nice passes by foot.

Fremantle's structure is a class above. Excellent ability to read the play, switch between defense and attack, and get on the spread. Fantastic defensive setup.

They also have far better outside players, both with speed, reading the play and skill execution.

Fremantle better at getting the ball at ground level, better at skill execution and better in the air. They have a lot more pace and look more dynamic all over the field.

We are holding on for dear life with tackling and pressure but the second we stop we will get absolutely annihilated.

Sarah Allan BOG, playing like Jeremy McGovern in the face of a siege
Think you're a bit OTT here

We've actually had plenty enough of the ball, we just can't hit a target whether under pressure or not.

We've also marked the ball around the ground well enough, but i50 has been woeful.

Clarke may as well just switch the magnets around at half time

Telling them to follow an actual proper ball movement plan wouldn’t go a stray either.

You set up your team to just win contested ball and bang it forward and get exposed when the opposition can match you inside with Bowers & Miller and have the ability to switch play and expose a slow team in space.

Think you're a bit OTT here

We've actually had plenty enough of the ball, we just can't hit a target whether under pressure or not.

We've also marked the ball around the ground well enough, but i50 has been woeful.

We can't hit a target because of the pressure they are able to put us under, as well as their structure that is efficiently shutting down all our options.

Fremantle's ability to put 2-3 players at the fall of our kicks then spread like lightning is premiership worthy

In a game like this we need to get players like Jones, Gore, Charlton and Scheer involved a lot more on the outside, and not have players like Mules, Foley and Thompson involved as much in primary roles.

Players that don't have a penetrative kick or can't laser accurate short passes struggle in games like this. Especially if you don't have raw pace as a weapon.

Rachelle Martin has been a find. Showing again that height is overrated

Whiteley hasn't touched it. Also feel like Rajcic, while getting involved, struggles in matches like this as she is very slow and she's up against a fast, dynamic forward line.

I'm not sure the need for playing all of Metcalfe, Biddell and Gould. Metcalfe is obviously a lock but why are we carrying two largely ineffective tall utilities? Replacing one with a shorter, more dynamic utility with pace would be a godsend in today's match

In a game like this we need to get players like Jones, Gore, Charlton and Scheer involved a lot more on the outside, and not have players like Mules, Foley and Thompson involved as much in primary roles.

Players that don't have a penetrative kick or can't laser accurate short passes struggle in games like this. Especially if you don't have raw pace as a weapon.

Rachelle Martin has been a find. Showing again that height is overrated

Whiteley hasn't touched it. Also feel like Rajcic, while getting involved, struggles in matches like this as she is very slow and she's up against a fast, dynamic forward line.

I'm not sure the need for playing all of Metcalfe, Biddell and Gould. Metcalfe is obviously a lock but why are we carrying two largely ineffective tall utilities? Replacing one with a shorter, more dynamic utility with pace would be a godsend in today's match

It's not that complicated. Freo are sitting two players back and are good enough structurally through the middle, and break at the right time, to deny us any flow. We are disorganised, and also have barely hit a target by foot. It's not personnel. The only thing stopping it from being a smashing is Freo's relatively poor entries.

We can't hit a target because of the pressure they are able to put us under, as well as their structure that is efficiently shutting down all our options.

Fremantle's ability to put 2-3 players at the fall of our kicks then spread like lightning is premiership worthy
There's been plenty of uncontested errors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not that complicated. Freo are sitting two players back and are good enough structurally through the middle, and break at the right time, to deny us any flow. We are disorganised, and also have barely hit a target by foot. It's not personnel. The only thing stopping it from being a smashing is Freo's relatively poor entries.
It's personnel.

It's the players who can't hit targets.

In some ways I agree, others not. I think we play the wrong players in key roles and relegate talented, more skilled younger players to the periphery, which is the opposite of what successful teams have been doing in the AFLW as younger players tend to be more natural footballers due to junior pathways.

Hate to single her out, but a player like Mules is unable to kick over 25m. Look at the latest Fremantle goal which was kicked comfortably in play from 30m. We've had a number of our forwards in a position like that who don't have the execution for that play

In some ways I agree, others not. I think we play the wrong players in key roles and relegate talented, more skilled younger players to the periphery, which is the opposite of what successful teams have been doing in the AFLW as younger players tend to be more natural footballers due to junior pathways.

Hate to single her out, but a player like Mules is unable to kick over 25m. Look at the latest Fremantle goal which was kicked comfortably in play from 30m. We've had a number of our forwards in a position like that who don't have the execution for that play
Our most talented players are our oldest ones.

You might be correct - I've got no idea who most of the players are. I've seen the 3 games this year and just commenting in general on what I see.

Every team, particularly the newer ones, have players who can barely kick 25m. That's the nature of the competition. We've been fortunate enough to have the two best players in the land since we started. They're usually the difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back