Round 3 v Western Bulldogs, Saturday Night @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

We lost to Port in 2010, by the way. It's a blip. Shit happens.

Move forward.

Matthew Boyd may have had the most ineffective 40+ possession game I have ever seen to be honest, glad we don't have him at our club but unhappy I don't have him in my dreamteam.

You must have missed last week's game. Or pretty much every game Ablett has played in the past five years.

I concur with A2R there, man. Fair content, but hard to slog through in that format. :)

Look, last week against the "magnificent" Crows, the Dogs came close, yet we thrashed them. This week, the "stunning" Bombers almost got beaten by the Suns, whereas we smashed them.

That leaves the Port game, and they've often had the woods on us.

I'm telling you all, we're going alright.
Is
this
better?

How
do
you
guys
go
with
books?
Even
magazines,
or
newspapers? ;) :D

Seriously though, "alright" doesn't particularly interest me, TBH.

Beating the best teams in the comp, playing in the huge games with big build ups and big crowds and playing in big finals interests me far more and you need to be going better than "alright" for that to happen.

"Alright" is a good start and it's better than the "ordinary" that we were before last week, so we're clearly going in the right direction, but we still have a heap to work on is all I'm saying, if we want to really contend, which I do.

Let me put it this way. We kicked 5 goals in an inspired 7 minute burst in the 3rd quarter last night and for the remainder of the game, against an insipid team that have a chronic inability to score at the moment, we kicked just 10 goals, in perfect conditions, to their 4 goals.

That's 10 goals in almost 4 quarters of footy. That would suggest that we were stuffing around with the ball, choosing poor options, turning the ball over a lot, or missing a lot of shots for goal, to score only 10 goals in that 110+ mins of footy that we were dominating. Those around us weren't laughing a lot at some of the stuff that was going on, particularly in the first half, because it was really high quality stuff. It was because a lot of it was comically poor.

You can do all those things and still win comfortably against a team like the WB, or GC, or GWS, but if you do all that against the best teams in the comp, they will beat your ass.

So as I said, most of what we did when we didn't have the ball, or when it was in close, was absolutely fantastic, but a lot of what we did when we had the ball out in space and so on was very poor and needs to be worked on, before we meet Hawthorn and Carlton in 3 weeks, for instance.

Fix those things up and might just win those games too. :thumbsu:

Yeah, a lot of the time, it was a tennis match - we would kick poorly into our forward line, and they would rebound, and kick it poorly into their forward line, and we'd rebound...

Thing is, the difference with a good team will be they don't kick poorly into their forward line, and we will get hurt.

Still, a 10 goal thrashing is always nice.

Just flicking through yesterday's herald sun. In the votes for the player of the year mark stevans gave 5 votes to Joey! Then Hayes jones BJ dal.
Did he watch the game!!! Was he drunk. Maybe a bad typo!!!

Just flicking through yesterday's herald sun. In the votes for the player of the year mark stevans gave 5 votes to Joey! Then Hayes jones BJ dal.

He wasn't drunk...just a moron with NFI!

There were so many times when we had someone free in genuine space in the middle, or over the back of the press, but elected to kick it to a contest, or sideways and it was driving me mad. Either they just didn't have a proper look to see if anyone was free, or they are being instructed not to go through the middle at any time.

Don't think that's quite the case. Yes they missed some opportunities, but they were going laterally to shift the press around as well.

How good is Boyd?

I'd love him at our club, always plays well, their kids just need to watch how he goes about it and they'll turn things around.

Boyd needs someone with silky skills to complement his hard work. He doesn't hurt the opposition enough with his disposal.

8.10 to 4.9 in 3 quarters. St Kilda controlled the flow and pace of the game the entire time and for 3 quarters they created a slow, scrap heap of a game.

Might be time to step into 2012 mate. Just like last week against the Crows, the Dogs employed a scrappy style as they knew from early on they were up against it. Multiple stages the Dogs outnumbered the Saints by 4 or 5 in our forward 50. I'm glad to see we were patient with our ball use. Most of us aren't getting carried away, but I'd look at your own side in regards to the spectacle that was put on on Saturday night.

COACHES VOTES
Western Bulldogs v St Kilda
10 Lenny Hayes (St K)
4 Matthew Boyd (WB)
4 Sam Fisher (St K)
4 Clinton Jones (St K)
4 Leigh Montagna (St K)
3 Brendon Goddard (St K)
1 Jarryn Geary (St K)

COACHES VOTES
10 Lenny Hayes (St K)
4 Matthew Boyd (WB)
4 Sam Fisher (St K)
4 Clinton Jones (St K)
4 Leigh Montagna (St K)
3 Brendon Goddard (St K)
1 Jarryn Geary (St K)

Pretty much sums it up.

BOG Lenny

daylight

Some other guys were pretty good too.

Dogs supporter, so it's possible ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

COACHES VOTES
10 Lenny Hayes (St K)
4 Matthew Boyd (WB)
4 Sam Fisher (St K)
4 Clinton Jones (St K)
4 Leigh Montagna (St K)
3 Brendon Goddard (St K)
1 Jarryn Geary (St K)

I actually thought Geary would be much higher than Monty, BJ or Jones... He played his best game as a sainter, IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 3 v Western Bulldogs, Saturday Night @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back