Preview Round 4, 2023: Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG 3:20pm Easter Monday 10th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you wanted to revisit mid season, not every 2nd post
Just making a point that given their ages we really can't wait three years for our rucks to improve.

They are right in the age bracket where rucks should be starting to really hit their straps (assuming prime rucking years are from 24 through to 30).

Lets face it our ruck stocks right now at this very moment are the worst in the AFL.

Pretty much every second week the opposition rucks seem to have dominant performances against us.

If we are going to take that next step as a team we need to be able to at least break even in the ruck (I know we won last weekend with our rucks getting smashed but thats not going to happen too often).

Just making a point that given their ages we really can't wait three years for our rucks to improve.

They are right in the age bracket where rucks should be starting to really hit their straps (assuming prime rucking years are from 24 through to 30).

Lets face it our ruck stocks right now at this very moment are the worst in the AFL.

Pretty much every second week the opposition rucks seem to have dominant performances against us.

If we are going to take that next step as a team we need to be able to at least break even in the ruck (I know we won last weekend with our rucks getting smashed but thats not going to happen too often).
Let’s revisit it mid season ey

Our ruck stocks currently leave a lot to be desired.

Reeves - good at taps, really poor around the ground. Slow.

Meek - average at taps, average around the ground. Has good athleticism for a ruckman.

Lynch - average at taps, average around the ground. Has decent athleticism for a ruckman.

Hopefully at least one of them improves over the next few years. They don't have to become superstars like Gawn, Grundy, etc, but if they can become good role players then it will be a win for us.

It seems that Ramsden is the one that has the most potential, and based on the hype he sounds like he's the most likely to become an elite ruckman.

They’ve linked up the wrong snippet with this tweet, but if you click on the link, you find the press conference from today.

Are we the only professional sporting organisation in the world that doesn’t have a microphone to hear the questions being asked by the media? Even in post match at the ground, drives me nuts😡

It's also tough for a ruckman moving to a different club. When Big Boy moved to us in 2014, he played a bit of time at Box Hill getting up to speed on the new game plan. Meek's played 3 games at Hawthorn. He'll come good by seasons end.
Meek reminds me of Brock Lesnar, built like a man mountain but doesn’t like to be hit.

Pffft

Very small sample size to make that kind of statement. Re-visit mid-season.
Don’t watch the WAFL or Freo so only sample size I have is two prac matches and three games in season.

Have seen him brace for contact that wasn’t there in two of this games. I hope it’s something that he can work on, but not a great look, particularly when you’re one of the biggest bodies on the ground.

Well I think the Meek/Reeves combo will blossom once they've played 20-30 games together. Both have had good games and poor games this year. Eventually we'll find the balance that works for both players to play to their strengths.

And you'll have Lynch and Ramma ready to step in if they don't perform. I'd say I'm pretty happy with our current ruck stocks personally.

Well I think the Meek/Reeves combo will blossom once they've played 20-30 games together. Both have had good games and poor games this year. Eventually we'll find the balance that works for both players to play to their strengths.

And you'll have Lynch and Ramma ready to step in if they don't perform. I'd say I'm pretty happy with our current ruck stocks personally.
Given we are developing agreed

Are they?

Worse than Collingwood? Cameron and Cox are both pretty average and are currently injured, they have no-one.

Reeves and Meek comfortably won the hitouts against Sydney and Essendon and broke even against North.

They need to improve around the ground, but as rucks, they're doing exactly as they need to.

Reading some of this after the North win its like some think we are now shooting at top 4, not 4 games into a decent list build with a solid chunk of new personal in the side .
Give the guys some time .

Media or not ( who cares it makes no difference once the ball is bounced ) Geelong wont play that poorly again so we will need to improve again for a competitive game .

Its a great test for us , we struggled against the Swans but get a chance to show we have improved and adjusted from that .

Again I'll be looking for those little improvements along the way hopefully better sustained defensive structure , good ball movement and one or two of the young guys to rise to the challenge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they?

Worse than Collingwood? Cameron and Cox are both pretty average and are currently injured, they have no-one.

Reeves and Meek comfortably won the hitouts against Sydney and Essendon and broke even against North.

They need to improve around the ground, but as rucks, they're doing exactly as they need to.

Cameron is a much better ruckman than any of ours. Though his main strengths are his around the ground work, and his ability to play at a KPF.

Mason Cox is like Reeves, though Cox takes marks, including some big contested marks, which is something Reeves (or Meek) haven't shown they can do as yet (or at all?).

They both torched Meek and Reeves in the practice match.

I disagree that they're doing exactly what they need to. There are no tap-only rucks in the league, they just don't exist unless they are backups. Ruckmen nowadays need to contribute in other areas on the field, and ours are still figuring that part out.

You're talking about Goldstein like he's now the worst ruck in the comp. He's currently 6th in the league for hit outs per game and 1st for hit outs to advantage. He's still a very good player despite his age.

That said, Reeves still needs a bit of work building to a level where he can attend stoppage after stoppage but he's currently second in the league for hit out win %. In some pretty good company too.

Screenshot_20230406_082634.jpg

Are they?

No no, you don't understand. 32 hit outs to 32 is a flogging. Reeves with 25 hit outs, 51% hit outs won, 28% to advantage and 5 clearances was absolutely demolished by Goldstein with 30 hit outs, 44% hit outs won, 33% to advantage and 2 clearances.

Don't be confused by how little is separating those two stat lines, or how Reeves' might be better in some cases, it was definitely a flogging!

Cameron is a much better ruckman than any of ours. Though his main strengths are his around the ground work, and his ability to play at a KPF.

Mason Cox is like Reeves, though Cox takes marks, including some big contested marks, which is something Reeves (or Meek) haven't shown they can do as yet (or at all?).

They both torched Meek and Reeves in the practice match.

I disagree that they're doing exactly what they need to. There are no tap-only rucks in the league, they just don't exist unless they are backups. Ruckmen nowadays need to contribute in other areas on the field, and ours are still figuring that part out.
Cameron is bloody average and isn't that far ahead of ours. He is also 3 years older and has nearly 3 times the experience. I can see both Meek and Reeves overtaking him pretty quickly. Both Cameron and Cox are also injured at the moment and they have no-one else of note, so so much for "better ruck stocks".

You keep banging on about their work around the ground, which I agree needs to improve, but the primary job of a ruck is to win hitouts and give first use to our mids. We are winning hitouts and we are winning clearances. That is exactly what they need to do. Their primary role is solid, now give them time to add more strings to their bow.

Cameron absolutely dominated Port Adelaide in Rd 2 (especially in the first half) - unfortunately neither of our rucks have shown the ability to do that…yet.
Maybe Reeves against Geelong before he got injured.
Hopeful Reeves/Meek comes good, but if Cameron was available for Easter Monday I’d be picking him

Cameron is bloody average and isn't that far ahead of ours. He is also 3 years older and has nearly 3 times the experience. I can see both Meek and Reeves overtaking him pretty quickly. Both Cameron and Cox are also injured at the moment and they have no-one else of note, so so much for "better ruck stocks".

You keep banging on about their work around the ground, which I agree needs to improve, but the primary job of a ruck is to win hitouts and give first use to our mids. We are winning hitouts and we are winning clearances. That is exactly what they need to do. Their primary role is solid, now give them time to add more strings to their bow.
You are kidding yourself if you think Cameron isn’t streets ahead of where Reeves and Meek currently are.

I agree Cameron isn’t an elite ruckman but he is capable around the ground (averaging 13 possessions), can take a mark and is averaging 27 hit outs a game.

I’d take those numbers from either Meek or Reeves in a heartbeat.

Maybe the ruck coach might need to take some heat.

Its not hard doing one percenters when your big and lumbering.

Get the tape on Shane Mumford and see what you can do with 105-110 kgs.

HURT !

Bout time they learn to use their size and bulk to exude some hurt.

Take Dangerfield this weekend.

He has slowed down.

Some very hard blocks would benefit our midfielders.

This is where they can contribute the most.

Cameron absolutely dominated Port Adelaide in Rd 2 (especially in the first half) - unfortunately neither of our rucks have shown the ability to do that…yet.
Maybe Reeves against Geelong before he got injured.
Hopeful Reeves/Meek comes good, but if Cameron was available for Easter Monday I’d be picking him
I was just thinking to myself last night when was the last time a Hawthorn ruck actually dominated his opposition.

I reckon we would have to go all the way back to Round 13 2021 when Jon Ceglar have Hickey an absolute bath up in Sydney.

Cegs had 20 disposals, 35 hit outs, 11 clearances and a goal that night. That is a decent nights work for a ruck!

You are kidding yourself if you think Cameron isn’t streets ahead of where Reeves and Meek currently are.

I agree Cameron isn’t an elite ruckman but he is capable around the ground (averaging 13 possessions), can take a mark and is averaging 27 hit outs a game.

I’d take those numbers from either Meek or Reeves in a heartbeat.
Well, Cameron is 27. Let's have a look at what he was doing at the same age as Meek and Reeves...

8 disposals... 6 hit outs a game. Hmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back