Preview Round 4, 2023: Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG 3:20pm Easter Monday 10th April

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reeves and Meek were spanked on the weekend by Goldy who is in his dotage as an AFL player.

Just imagine what our young midfield could do with a decent ruck, would be a game changer.

Really need one of Reeves or Meeks (preferably both) to take that step.

Honestly, on what metrics were they spanked by Goldy? He has torn us a new one a few times, but not last week

Seeing kozi named..
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

It's also tough for a ruckman moving to a different club. When Big Boy moved to us in 2014, he played a bit of time at Box Hill getting up to speed on the new game plan. Meek's played 3 games at Hawthorn. He'll come good by seasons end.

I think both Meek and Reeves might become good ruckman, I can’t see either being much of a forward threat. Teamed with a forward who can ruck a bit either might work. But not together. Just ain’t going to work.

Ward,Frenchie,Wingard,Worpel to play.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Weddle as the sub. although you would think they would have announced his debut. maybe it's Chad as sub.
I’m not sure if Weddle will play or not, but if they’re going to announce a debut, doing it on a Wednesday for a game on Monday would be very early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look that’s one way to look at it but I think everyone will agree that Goldy (as good a player as he was) is a long way from his prime. He only got selected for this match because Xerri was injured.

And I am sure that if you added up all the WAFL games Meek would have played close to 100 games a ruck in top tier competition. It’s not like last year where we were throwing Nash and Kossy in the ruck and they had NFI what to do, Meeks trade is as a ruck.

Like I say let’s revisit this mid season. I had massive hopes for Meek and I hope he comes good as much as anyone. But we need to see at least a glimmer soon.
What part of the match did Goldy smash both our rucks?. His other job besides work around the ground is hitouts to advantage so his midfielders can go to work. Last time I checked we smacked them comfortably in clearances.
Cameron is bloody average and isn't that far ahead of ours. He is also 3 years older and has nearly 3 times the experience. I can see both Meek and Reeves overtaking him pretty quickly. Both Cameron and Cox are also injured at the moment and they have no-one else of note, so so much for "better ruck stocks".

You keep banging on about their work around the ground, which I agree needs to improve, but the primary job of a ruck is to win hitouts and give first use to our mids. We are winning hitouts and we are winning clearances. That is exactly what they need to do. Their primary role is solid, now give them time to add more strings to their bow.
If their main strength is good around the ground there's no point playing a Ruck. People are getting caught up in the "We need to have a Gawn or Grundy to contend". We are doing well through the midfield for the first time in years. Id say there doing ok. If they can start taking more marks and win more ball than were laughing all the way to the bank.

Kozi at FB and Weddel BP

Do it Sammy you beautiful specimen of a human.

Then next week bring in the Denver boy at CHB.

Backline Fixed.

Do it Sammy you legend.

In 5 weeks time you know what to do

It’s Lewis and Jekalenko up forward and forward line fixed.

Then we all line up for finals tickets.

Cameron is bloody average and isn't that far ahead of ours. He is also 3 years older and has nearly 3 times the experience. I can see both Meek and Reeves overtaking him pretty quickly. Both Cameron and Cox are also injured at the moment and they have no-one else of note, so so much for "better ruck stocks".

You keep banging on about their work around the ground, which I agree needs to improve, but the primary job of a ruck is to win hitouts and give first use to our mids. We are winning hitouts and we are winning clearances. That is exactly what they need to do. Their primary role is solid, now give them time to add more strings to their bow.

Cameron is far ahead of our rucks currently, it's an unarguable fact.

When he finally emerged as Collingwood's primary ruckman in round 7 (following Grundy's injury) he averaged/totalled across the last 19 games, including finals:

14.2 touches
3.9 marks
3.9 tackles
2.8 clearances
21.2 hit outs
and kicked 14 goals (20 in total)

When our rucks hit double digit possessions, kick 20 goals for the season (Cameron has done this twice) and take 5-odd marks a game then we can claim they are close. Until then they aren't. The fact that he's older and more experienced doesn't change this reality.

Well, Cameron is 27. Let's have a look at what he was doing at the same age as Meek and Reeves...

8 disposals... 6 hit outs a game. Hmm.

The point in question is whether Cameron is much better than our three rucks - the answer is absolutely unequivocally yes, he is much better right now.

The age is irrelevant in this regard.

Yes our three have three years on him, so they will hopefully improve just like Cameron did. But as it stands they aren't close, which is the point that was being discussed.

LOL!
Just saw the awful pump up for the cats on Monday....the AFL dosen't know what it is any more...in the age of no fighting
football and health and safety, the promo clip advocates for a bloodbath. Hilarious!

*But...I also hope the Cats do bring thier 'A' game...it's better for our groups experience to play teams at their best

Last edited:
Cameron is far ahead of our rucks currently, it's an unarguable fact.

When he finally emerged as Collingwood's primary ruckman in round 7 (following Grundy's injury) he averaged/totalled across the last 19 games, including finals:

14.2 touches
3.9 marks
3.9 tackles
2.8 clearances
21.2 hit outs
and kicked 14 goals (20 in total)

When our rucks hit double digit possessions, kick 20 goals for the season (Cameron has done this twice) and take 5-odd marks a game then we can claim they are close. Until then they aren't. The fact that he's older and more experienced doesn't change this reality.
Yea, but you’re ignoring that there are 3 e’s in Reeves.

LOL!
Just saw the awful pump up for the cats on Monday....the AFL dosen't know what it is any more...in the age of no bruise football and health and safety, the promo clip advocates for a bloodbath. Hilarious!

*But...I also hope the Cats do bring thier 'A' game...it's better for our groups experience to play teams at their best

tumblr_p4xchg1nZ21vl7b4bo4_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back