AFLW Round 4 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 17th - Sun 22nd, Sep.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuesday, 17 September

Collingwood
(17th, 0-3) v West Coast (8th, 2-1)
7.15pm AEST, Ikon Park
7mate - WA

Wednesday, 18 September

Brisbane
(6th, 2-1) v W. Bulldogs (18th, 0-3)
7.15pm AEST, Brighton Homes Arena
7mate - VIC, QLD, SA, NSW

I'm thinking: let's just get through these first two games before worrying about the other 9 still to come in the round.

The Pies now also without Bonnici for a little bit... certainly gives the Eagles a chance to go 3-1 which nobody would have thought possible just one month ago. We're going to see two really desperate teams with similar intent but different motive, and I wonder if Sam Wright will want to allow the game to be as free-flowing as last week vs Brisbane (obviously an easier call when you're going to lose regardless).

The Bulldogs play Brisbane in Queensland for the first time since 2018, their flag year. And they go into an AFLW match without Ellie Blackburn for the first time ever. The only previous occasion she's been seriously injured and had to miss a chunk of game time was in a 2019 loss vs Brisbane, when she was KO'd at the start of the 4th quarter (and of course played the following week, still being the pre-protocol days).

Hey. Why are Collingwood playing a home game at Carlton's ground? This question and many others like it will continue to come up over the next few weeks. The answer is "because the AFL wants night games only at venues with suitable lights".

Good reason!

"But wait... why not just play the game during a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and then they can play home games at their home ground?" you may then go on to ask. Well, the answer to that is... the uhh mhmh errr yyyyeahhh.

And now, for the rest of the round, which includes the 2nd games for Brisbane, Collingwood, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs:

Thursday, 19 September

Richmond
(6th, 2-1) v Carlton (9th, 2-1)
7.15pm AEST, Ikon Park
Exclusive to Foxtel/Kayo

Friday, 20 September

North Melb.
(5th, 2-0-1) v Port Adelaide (11th, 1-2)
5.05pm AEST, Mission Oval
7mate - SA

Saturday, 21 September

Gold Coast
(16th, 0-2-1) v Geelong (15th, 0-2-1)
12.05pm AEST, People First Stadium
7mate - QLD

St Kilda (1st, 3-0) v Hawthorn (7th, 2-1)
2.05pm AEST, RSEA Park
Exclusive to Foxtel/Kayo

Fremantle (8th, 2-1) v Melbourne (14th, 1-2)
2.05pm AEST, Fremantle Oval
7mate - WA

Sunday, 22 September

Adelaide
(2nd, 3-0) v Essendon (12th, 1-2)
1.05pm AEST, Thomas Farms Oval
Seven - VIC; 7mate - SA, NSW

Collingwood (17th, 0-4) v W. Bulldogs (18th, 0-4)
3.05pm AEST, Victoria Park
7mate - VIC

Sydney (13th, 1-2) v GWS Giants (10th, 1-1-1)
3.05pm AEST, Henson Park
7mate - NSW

West Coast (4th, 3-1) v Brisbane (3rd, 3-1)
5.05pm AEST, Mineral Resources Park
7mate - WA, QLD

Last edited:
Yeah given that all of Collingwood's games so far have been utterly watchable (at the very least), I'm curious to see if that carries on into games vs young teams like the Eagles and Bulldogs.

I believe this will be West Coast's 2nd game at "the home of AFLW" tonight. The first being vs Geelong, a 9-point loss in 2022 S7.

Not too surprising, since they've only played Carlton once (last year, back in Perth obvs).

I'll take a 7.15pm Tuesday game over a 5.05pm Friday game, regardless of opponent, from an audience perspective.

But even if tonight's game drew a sellout crowd and 300k viewers on Fox, it's still completely stupid for the players to have these quick turnarounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps just call this one off if Davey doesn't come back. Very lame Q2 after a good start.

Jordyn Allen seems to be getting softer by the season. No brains, no heart.

Franklin has to be used better. Slotting one from 40m every once in a while looks nice, but get her up the ground once in a while and clear out the F50 for Roberts to "rest" there imo.

Descended into a real ugly game after Davey was decapitated (with no free kick... absolutely ludicrous).

But nothing ugly about that West Coast win-loss record. Third on the ladder now. When Michael Prior hears about this... nah, he ain't gonna hear about it. (I don't think he's the Wayne Siekman type, hate-watching on, still bitter about being sacked 5 years ago, preparing his next "just asking" tweet.)

Jordyn Allen seems to be getting softer by the season. No brains, no heart.
5 disposals, 2 tackles. Reminder she won the club B&F in 2022 S7 (Lambert 2nd, Molloy 3rd, Schleicher 4th, Cann 5th).

Not that it's all about the numbers. Grace Campbell had just 8 disposals and was still arguably BOG for Collingwood (though you could pull out other numbers to support that claim).

Not that it's all about the numbers. Grace Campbell had just 8 disposals and was still arguably BOG for Collingwood (though you could pull out other numbers to support that claim).
As terrible as it sounds Grace Cambpell is a bit of a canary in the coal mine, IMO.
If she is getting into the bests Collingwood are a long way off playing finals.

As terrible as it sounds Grace Cambpell is a bit of a canary in the coal mine, IMO.
If she is getting into the bests Collingwood are a long way off playing finals.
So too are Sydney, despite playing finals last year.

It'd be true of most (if not all) teams missing 2 or 3 of their top players (Davey, Bonnici and Butler in Collingwood's case).

Geelong goalless on the weekend without Prespakis and Scheer! Against... Carlton.

So too are Sydney, despite playing finals last year.

It'd be true of most (if not all) teams missing 2 or 3 of their top players (Davey, Bonnici and Butler in Collingwood's case).

Geelong goalless on the weekend without Prespakis and Scheer! Against... Carlton.
Sure
But it’s a reflection on depth, Cambpell is a great competitor I loved her at effort at Richmond but she can’t complete a pass under pressure. Which is good football.

Geelong where terrible.
32-15 fwd half intercepts for Carlton looks like Geelong had never played at Ikon got stuck in those wide pockets and panicked.
Geelong where down
1 clearance player
1 forward
1 Ruck

Adds to the arguement of increased list sizes I think.

Adds to the arguement of increased list sizes I think.
There aren't any future Chloe Molloys, Bri Daveys, Georgie Prespakisesseses running around in the state leagues.

The way to be less reliant on these players is to increase the salaries of the mid-level types, rather than paying them the same as newly promoted players from the VFLW who are never going to be half as good as Grace Campbell anyway.

Sure
But it’s a reflection on depth, Cambpell is a great competitor I loved her at effort at Richmond but she can’t complete a pass under pressure. Which is good football.
I would say running full speed with Hosking on your tail is under pressure:

View attachment Campbell.mp4

Anybody who "only" watched the 10-minute mini-match wouldn't have seen that play though, which says more about how the AFLW media department are going than anything else.

(though let it be not go unsaid: James flubbed the shot and then, guess who, Jordyn Allen somehow cleared it out of defence for West Coast...)

There aren't any future Chloe Molloys, Bri Daveys, Georgie Prespakisesseses running around in the state leagues.

The way to be less reliant on these players is to increase the salaries of the mid-level types, rather than paying them the same as newly promoted players from the VFLW who are never going to be half as good as Grace Campbell anyway.

I would say running full speed with Hosking on your tail is under pressure:

View attachment 2113839

Anybody who "only" watched the 10-minute mini-match wouldn't have seen that play though, which says more about how the AFLW media department are going than anything else.

(though let it be not go unsaid: James flubbed the shot and then, guess who, Jordyn Allen somehow cleared it out of defence for West Coast...)
That says a lot more about WC and why Jess Hosking wasn’t successful as a mid at Carlton and Richmond than it does about Grace Cambpell, getting stooged into that set play.
Pretty ordinary.

That kick was at speed it was straight and I reckon she may have done that about 5000 times.

Grace Cambpell has a career because of grit and effort. Good on her.
If they increased list sizes to get more more talent practicing with and against the likes of Grace Cambpell it would help bring them on.

Last edited:
That says a lot more about WC and why Jess Hosking wasn’t successful as a mid at Carlton and Richmond than it does about Grace Cambpell, getting stooged into that set play.
Pretty ordinary.

That kick was at speed it was straight and I reckon she may have done that about 5000 times.

Grace Cambpell has a career because of grit and effort. Good on her.
If they increased list sizes to get more more talent practicing with and against the likes of Grace Cambpell it would help bring them on.
All former Richmond players are duds, I see the light now.

All former Richmond players are duds, I see the light now.
No they’re great competitors and if you did the Lolly on the floor test with them as kids…whoever gets the lolly can have it one of em would probably lose an ear.
I did preface it all by saying it’s gonna sound terrible.

That centre sq stoppage…the same thing may have happened to a young player the Hosking role and the sweeper role and it’s a great learning opportunity.

There is players out there like Fleming and Ewings.
The best young players have to play against the best to improve and
I think there’s a depth problem in alotve teams.
I get it that they need to be at a standard physically but I think more spots on a list and throw them into training, that would good development.

No they’re great competitors and if you did the Lolly on the floor test with them as kids…whoever gets the lolly can have it one of em would probably lose an ear.
I did preface it all by saying it’s gonna sound terrible.

That centre sq stoppage…the same thing may have happened to a young player the Hosking role and the sweeper role and it’s a great learning opportunity.

There is players out there like Fleming and Ewings.
The best young players have to play against the best to improve and
I think there’s a depth problem in alotve teams.
I get it that they need to be at a standard physically but I think more spots on a list and throw them into training, that would good development.
The players who elevate the product are the ones earning six figures.

Hannah Ewings doesn't play football anymore because her AFLW contract, like most in the Tier 2-4 range, didn't financially support her enough to allow her to make the commitments required of a professional footballer.

If the AFL has an extra $300k to give each club (they don't), it would be better spent on top underpaid talents, rather than adding inconsequential 31st-35th players to squads.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 4 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 17th - Sun 22nd, Sep.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back