AFLW Round 4 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 17th - Sun 22nd, Sep.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The players who elevate the product are the ones earning six figures.

Hannah Ewings doesn't play football anymore because her AFLW contract, like most in the Tier 2-4 range, didn't financially support her enough to allow her to make the commitments required of a professional footballer.

If the AFL has an extra $300k to give each club (they don't), it would be better spent on top underpaid talents, rather than adding inconsequential 31st-35th players to squads.
Perhaps that’d help consolidate and give more players more flexibility to focus on themselves and their footy.
But the list size is a problem and this year with the condensed rounds I’ve got some concerns.

I hope we see Ewings enjoy her footy at the AFLW level.
She belongs there.

"They were raided" says Kate McCarthy of Brisbane... no, you left. You weren't taken against your will.

Yoshida-Martin out there for the first time in a while. First time since almost being kidnapped by Sydney.

Jason Bennett now hitting us with the "they need composure" too.

The reason they've only had 4 marks to QT is a lack of work rate and no intent to move. the ball. quickly. Nothing to do with composure, which is just a meaningless catchphrase at this point.

I wonder why the Bulldogs didn't win the clearance here, or just couldn't lock the ball inside their F50:

180920241.jpg

No palpable coaching or on-field leadership whatsoever.

Perhaps that’d help consolidate and give more players more flexibility to focus on themselves and their footy.
But the list size is a problem and this year with the condensed rounds I’ve got some concerns.

I hope we see Ewings enjoy her footy at the AFLW level.
She belongs there.
Does she need more "flexibility" or does she not want to put in the work to be an AFLW footballer?

Was a high draft pick and had a good 1st year. The impression I got was perhaps she just wasn't meeting the clubs standards?

Does she need more "flexibility" or does she not want to put in the work to be an AFLW footballer?

Was a high draft pick and had a good 1st year. The impression I got was perhaps she just wasn't meeting the clubs standards?
Port confirmed Ewings' omission was due to "not meeting performance standards and expectations", with the club saying it would "continue supporting Ewings on and off the field to assist her in returning to the form she is capable of".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly there’s a lot going on for her and she’s not settled and able to give her best.
But a 9 clearance 3 goal player, BnF winner, Rising star winner it’s not luck or simply had a good year.

I think she’s only won three games in her career and obviously isn’t enjoying her football.
Hopefully that shifts.
Going from a kid who had a four hr drive to play and train footy in Adelaide from a small country town to being recognised everywhere and having to get used to it without living with family would take alotve getting used to. Plus everything else in life.
Aflw is better when she’s playing well.

And now, for the rest of the round, which includes the 2nd games for Brisbane, Collingwood, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs:

Thursday, 19 September

Richmond
(6th, 2-1) v Carlton (9th, 2-1)
7.15pm AEST, Ikon Park
Exclusive to Foxtel/Kayo

Friday, 20 September

North Melb.
(5th, 2-0-1) v Port Adelaide (11th, 1-2)
5.05pm AEST, Mission Oval
7mate - SA

Saturday, 21 September

Gold Coast
(16th, 0-2-1) v Geelong (15th, 0-2-1)
12.05pm AEST, People First Stadium
7mate - QLD

St Kilda (1st, 3-0) v Hawthorn (7th, 2-1)
2.05pm AEST, RSEA Park
Exclusive to Foxtel/Kayo

Fremantle (8th, 2-1) v Melbourne (14th, 1-2)
2.05pm AEST, Fremantle Oval
7mate - WA

Sunday, 22 September

Adelaide
(2nd, 3-0) v Essendon (12th, 1-2)
1.05pm AEST, Thomas Farms Oval
Seven - VIC; 7mate - SA, NSW

Collingwood (17th, 0-4) v W. Bulldogs (18th, 0-4)
3.05pm AEST, Victoria Park
7mate - VIC

Sydney (13th, 1-2) v GWS Giants (10th, 1-1-1)
3.05pm AEST, Henson Park
7mate - NSW

West Coast (4th, 3-1) v Brisbane (3rd, 3-1)
5.05pm AEST, Mineral Resources Park
7mate - WA, QLD

Tips from Teen Wolf:
Rich by 24
NM by 24
GC by 3
StK by 12
Melb by 12
Adel by 50
Coll by 3
GWS by 12
BL by 24

Can't rule out Carlton turning their 2-1 start into a surprise finals appearance at this point because, while many clubs are dealing with heavy injury lists, they are holding up fine. Yet the Tigers aren't going too bad on that front either--the big question will be how they manage without Poppy Kelly who was a key contributor in last week's strong showing.

North Melbourne are controlling the corridor like overcompensating hall monitors, so whether Port can combat that will determine the closeness of Friday evening's 5pm blockbuster.

Expect a much more competitive effort from Geelong than the R3 disaster. That said, since they have to wait another week for the Prespakis return, I can't tip them to beat "Good Charlie" who is likely to devour them in the middle Bristle-style omnomnomnom.

Apparently they're calling the game at Moorabbin "the Battle of the Bay" given the Hawks' migration to Frankston. And despite the loss, I'd have to say Hawthorn were more impressive last week than the still-undefeated St Kilda. At home though, and having shown an ability to win both pretty and ugly, I'll give the BOTD to the Saints.

Dockers-Dees didn't look like an appealing contesting on paper a month ago, but now it could be a very close game with huge repercussions, however I'm not sure it'll be anything other than a bit of an ugly grind.

In amongst the injuries, the Pies are also having a bad run with suspension, as Mikala Cann gets rubbed out just as Tarni White returns. Could we have a third draw in as many weeks??

Giants probably shouldn't have lost last year's Sydney derby, and definitely shouldn't lose this year's.

And then to wrap up the 11-game extravaganza, let us hope the Eagles fail to knock off a tired travelling Lions team... otherwise there'll be so many "Daisy to coach the boy Eagles?" articles, it'll explode the poor precious heads of all those on social media with a racehorse avatar.

Tips from The Wolf (i.e. Georgia Wareham, who still leads over at The Age):
Rich by 13
NM by 27
GC by 7
Haw by 12
Frem by 5
Adel by 17
Coll by 17 (submitted pre-Davey injury / Cann susp.)
GWS by 3
BL by 21

Clearly there’s a lot going on for her and she’s not settled and able to give her best.
But a 9 clearance 3 goal player, BnF winner, Rising star winner it’s not luck or simply had a good year.

I think she’s only won three games in her career and obviously isn’t enjoying her football.
Hopefully that shifts.
Going from a kid who had a four hr drive to play and train footy in Adelaide from a small country town to being recognised everywhere and having to get used to it without living with family would take alotve getting used to. Plus everything else in life.
Aflw is better when she’s playing well.
Clearly she's very good and had a lot of potential, but not everyone is suited to the rigours and discipline of modern football. Obviously she smashed it out in her 1st year, but it's now 2 seasons where there are obviously some issues.

Hopefully she comes good not just for her sake, but for Port's who desperately need her in a weak midfield.

Better game than the score suggests. But neither team playing to the conditions well enough. Too much going to ground, not enough soccer kicks, and not enough kicking in general given the extra metreage to gain from the slick surface.

Moody (the good one) early in Q2 took one of the most effortless 1-on-3 marks you'd ever see--they were all over her and she shook them off like fleas. And a lack of a left foot just cost Conti $50,000 I reckon (though she's still a fair chance to win it back by season's end).

Breann Moody should be playing her sisters role and just have Good rucking for 70% of the time. Celine is just a waste in the fwd line

KPI's should add in fumbles for AFLW. Conditions not ideal for a lot of games this year, but the number of fumbles has been huge and unacceptably high for many of the games. Makes it hard to watch.

Breann Moody should be playing her sisters role and just have Good rucking for 70% of the time. Celine is just a waste in the fwd line
Some weird decisions from teams in regards to rucks. Carl with Good and 2 Moody's. Rich has Seymour who has gone back and Poppy Kelly doing a great job. Yet they recruited McKinnon. Emma King should be full time ruck somewhere.

Yet Geelong has absolutely no-one.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 4 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 17th - Sun 22nd, Sep.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back