AFLW Round 4 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 17th - Sun 22nd, Sep.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that was rough to watch. Thought we did okay to stay with what is clearly a pretty good Richmond side for the first half, and then we go missing except in a couple of bursts. It's a reminder that we're still pretty early in the rebuild and a long way off challenging the better sides.

It is expected of somebody/everybody to point out the endless commentary gaffes of a Kelli Underwood game. So I'm going to flout tradition and point out she actually called Ally Dallaway by the right name tonight... having referred to her as "Dallymore" throughout her time at GWS.

Last edited:

Carlton with NM and BL for 2 of their next 3. It's not unimaginable that they actually get to 7 wins, but I'll bet their percentage won't come close to cracking 100.

It's an 8-win season easy from here for the Tigers, pending injuries. But it'll mean nothing if they don't win at least one final, especially since you can't expect Brennan to come back next season better than (or even at the level) she's been this year.

Something else from last night: Phoebe McWilliams was again the only person of 18 tipsters from AFL.com.au and The Age to tip a Carlton win. Ooh. Kinda takes the gloss off her last two correct predictions for the Blues... like they were just emotional tips or whatever.

Must be fun trying to remember 1 player has different pronouns while getting paid to call the footy.
FTFY.

Maybe 2 players if it's, say, a Carlton v Hawthorn game.

Commentators need a list of approved pronouns for each player?
There are only two openly non-binary players that I can recall (Vescio and Lucas-Rodd.) Maybe keeping a note handy for commentators to have on the desk during their games might help (assuming that doesn't already happen.)

I totally get that the occasional slip-up will happen, but Kelli has done it so frequently that it's an issue.
FTFY.

Maybe 2 players if it's, say, a Carlton v Hawthorn game.
Yeah it's really not a huge effort, especially if commentators have a sheet in front of them reminding them.

I also don't think anyone would rip their head off because of an occasional slip-up. I think even Vescio has said before that they're not bothered if someone accidentally gets it wrong. Just a quick correction and an effort to be more mindful in the future would be enough for most people.

O'Laughlin should not be suspended for that tackle. O'Dea really accentuated that tackle... through herself and her head back to make the tackle look more dangerous than it was, should be fined for staging.

Must be fun trying to remember 1000's of preferred pronouns including calling the footy.

Yeah, imagine if commentators had to remember things about the players each week. Like, what if we arbitrarily assigned a number to each player, and the commentators had to remember all of them! And then occasionally players might change their numbers and the commentators would have to forget what they knew before and memorise the new ones! But that would be insane, though.

There are only two openly non-binary players that I can recall (Vescio and Lucas-Rodd.) Maybe keeping a note handy for commentators to have on the desk during their games might help (assuming that doesn't already happen.)

I'm sure there are more than two. Jess Waterhouse for the Crows is another. But I agree, it's the exception rather than the norm.

And, like many non-binary people, Waterhouse has been pretty clear in saying that they're not really bothered if people get their pronouns wrong as long as it's not done intentionally or disrespectfully.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Round 4 - 2024 AFLW season (Tues 17th - Sun 22nd, Sep.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back