Preview Round 5 v Carlton at Ikon Park (Princes Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Round 5
Carlton v Adelaide
Sunday 6 February
Ikon Park
2:40pm Adelaide time/3:10pm Melbourne time

After a brilliant opening month the girls travel to Melbourne to take on Carlton. Carlton have not been in great form, with just the one win so far this season. Our AFLW side has never started a season 5-0. Will we create a little bit of history on Sunday?

Last edited:
Expecting Carlton to follow what looks to be a competition trend and induce another flood heavy, counter game style this match.

Carlton have trouble scoring and can’t find anyone to fill that tall forward role so expect them to just try to use the extra numbers from the backlines to try and just launch counterattacks and run onto it inside 50, Harrington who is having a super season in the backlines is one who they’ll have to stop from running free all the time out of defence, also expect Prespakis as usual will get lots of the ball in the middle, McEvoy also to worry about in there as well.

1644043966219.jpeg
IN: Thompson, Ponter, Mules, Munyard

OUT: Randall (injured), Simmons (omitted), Ballard (omitted), Charlton (AFL Health and Safety Protocols)

Ballard out instead of Considine is a disgraceful decision. Disappointing that Charlton is also out.

I can swallow Ballard out, as she had a down match after her strong debut the week before. It's only her first season and she'll be back in soon enough.

Not sure how Munyard gets straight back in, but okay. Presumably (hopefully?) her and Considine are earmarked to go out when Randall and Charlton comes back in. The Simmons experiment seems to have come to an end at last, she didn't even make the emergency list.

Whiteley holds her spot on the back of a pretty good showing up forward, but I have to wonder where she will play with both Thompson and Mules both back into the side.

The girls have been going great. Hope they have their kicking boots (for goals) on today!

Also want to say the umpiring was actually quite solid last week. Possibly the best umpired game I saw in an AFLW Crows game. I honestly the standard of umpiring continues like that and not do a turnaround.

Best thing about the season so far, is that we’ve been able to get wins without an over-reliance on Phillips/Randall. It shows our girls are improving across the board.

The girls have been going great. Hope they have their kicking boots (for goals) on today!

Also want to say the umpiring was actually quite solid last week. Possibly the best umpired game I saw in an AFLW Crows game. I honestly the standard of umpiring continues like that and not do a turnaround.

Best thing about the season so far, is that we’ve been able to get wins without an over-reliance on Phillips/Randall. It shows our girls are improving across the board.
Ahh, not sure about that, don’t know if you noticed but certainly in the first half Eleni Glouftsis was giving her usual rough end of the pineapple decisions to the Adelaide Football club as she does in both mens and women’s. She’s the new Troy Pannell when it comes to knowing the club’s just going to get dodgy frees given against in game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't necessarily see a bias in the umpiring last week, but I thought it was shocking overall. That's not necessarily a knock on the umpires themselves, maybe they are instructed to give HTB decisions for any situation where the ball ends up trapped underneath someone irrespective of whether they dived on it, or had it pushed underneath them. They may also be instructed not to pay HTB for situations where a player takes possession of the ball, has prior opportunity, takes on a tackler and then fails to dispose of the ball legally. Either way, whether it was incompetence or instruction, it was frustrating as hell to watch. HTB free kicks for everything except for those situations where it was warranted!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 5 v Carlton at Ikon Park (Princes Park)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back