Autopsy Round 6, 2024: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

The timing of Andrew Bassat’s letter to the members was interesting.

I can’t help but feel that based off some of the wordings, he is trying to ease some fan expectations about going forward this year and things aren’t going to go how we think they might.

We went way to hard on Pou being a star. Just did a quick check of his stats, it doesn't make for pretty reading.

Has never had a 20 possession game, only kicked more than 1 goal on 1 occasion, and that was his second game. Only taken 6 marks or more 3 times.

Reality is, he has not don't much. Doesn't get the ball enough. Not really a goal kicker.

I have been thinking it all along that Pou has been carried. I could see him possibly become a forward of Jamie Elliot ability at best. He could also just as likely be a bust.

He's not a mid and he still doesn't commit to contests properly. I still see him do bruise free efforts which isn't good enough but he gets a pass because Ross has a raging hard on for him.

If he wants to go home to S.A, i am not phased, just hope we get a similar pick in return.

I’m not giving up hope. Everything the dogs did turned to gold… I get that is partly due to some weak saints pressure but I can’t see that happening again…

Garcia looks a beauty to me… as does Windhager. They should be in the guts for the rest of the year. Their CP and tackle count shows they have bought in, unlike some others. Not his role but Hill didn’t have a tackle… Ross won’t cop that

I have been thinking it all along that Pou has been carried. I could see him possibly become a forward of Jamie Elliot ability at best. He could also just as likely be a bust.

He's not a mid and he still doesn't commit to contests properly. I still see him do bruise free efforts which isn't good enough but he gets a pass because Ross has a raging hard on for him.

If he wants to go home to S.A, i am not phased, just hope we get a similar pick in return.
Runs under the ball a lot in marking contests …

Everyone should go and watch RTB after game presser! He was very calm and circumspect about the result not being the norm.

I think he and the club have quickly put that performance down to 3 games in 11 days, 2 of which we're interstate. I doubt there will be much of a review of that game, they will look to move on quickly and set themselves for Port. I expect a better showing against Port, but I dont see much changing results wise until/when ever we get our soldiers back.

Last edited:
We should be relegated for making Bore Naughton look like Plugger.
Was nearly the worst part of the ****show for me. Soon as Naughton kicked his first I was thinking are we going to make this potato look like Carey and we did. Bloke is legit a soft potato and we made him and Lobb look like superstars. Embarrassing

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Unpopular opinion, but I think there's a direct correlation between Wilkie's loss of his AA form and Howard being out of the side.

Cordy is a stop gap break glass option, GWS last year should've shown that.

We badly miss Webster. Our defensive unit, whilst it's the least of our worries, is frail without Webster and Dougs.

Nas, Sinclair and Bonner are all weak defensively, sure they are playmakers but all three together can be exposed defensively. Battle and Wilkie are undersized but make up for that by reading the play better than their opponent. That's why Howard is so important to our defence and the reason why Wilkie can't play the way we need him to.

It boggles my mind that every week I see Poo getting slaughtered in here and the same people are celebrating blokes like Jones getting picked. Jones would be nearing 200 games of football wouldn't he?
He's never stuck his head over the pill or put his body in harms way.. it's not going to start now. He plays large chunks of games in midfield without going near it.
Poo at least might take us somewhere with his talent. Jones is taking us nowhere.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If people blame RTB for Gameday performance then maybe we should try get last years premiership coach, you know the one RTB beat on Gameday?

At the end of it this is a young list with a few spuds and a few aging players with some skill and very little leadership. At this vantage point i remember us not trading Armitage to Richmond for pick 9 2013 which would’ve given us a crack at Paddy Cripps instead Armo plays 5 more uneventful seasons and retires. If someone offers us a good deal for any player we need to seriously consider it

If Adelaide offered us a straight swap of Rachele for Phillipou to go back home to SA I wouldn't stand in his way but I doubt that will happen.

I've still got faith in Phillipou becoming a good player for us though, he reminds me of Goddard who struggled early before becoming a gun.

I remember the first year or two Goddard played for us I thought we had drafted a bust, he was a tall gangly kid like the Pou that showed some glimpses of talent but couldn't nail down a position or put it all together but eventually it clicked for him and he reached his potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sold on Ross but he polished a turd last year. Whilst we are missing 2023 Crouch and Sinclair, wood & Henry it still isn’t enough to take the next step. With respect to them we ain’t getting anywhere near top 4 when players like Byrnes, Sharman, Cordy, Butler, Jones, Bonner, Stocker, Ross etc are starting 18 - these should be depth players worst case. Got to take a step back nail a few early picks to hopefully take two steps forward otherwise it’s another 5 years of 8th-14th.
It’s time we started being honest with ourselves. A team featuring Byrnes, Sharman, Cordy, Jones, Bonner and Ross is never going to have a deep run. Everybody knows it deep down. Why not just admit it?

Ross will also know this and let the great clean out continue.

If Adelaide offered us a straight swap of Rachele for Phillipou to go back home to SA I wouldn't stand in his way but I doubt that will happen.

I've still got faith in Phillipou becoming a good player for us though, he reminds me of Goddard who struggled early before becoming a gun.

I remember the first year or two Goddard played for us I thought we had drafted a bust, he was a tall gangly kid like the Pou that showed some glimpses of talent but couldn't nail down a position or put it all together but eventually it clicked for him and he reached his potential.
To me Philipou is a CHF type of player, not overly quick or agile, but as a leading forward, could do some damage.

He is just doesn’t seem to have a pure midfielder’s instinct and skillset. People seem to think any junior flanker can become an elite mid, but this is rarely the case. He looks like a forward trying to play like a mid, rarely first to the ball and can hardly stick a tackle.

Season killer tonight. Especially after the Dons loss as well.

Through circumstances we are playing too many kids,and are buckling like all the other teams with too many kids.

That will not materially change for upto 6 weeks as players dribble back. All underdone from long stints on the sidelines.

The season will be over by then.

Also what Position does Poo play? Every week he seems to just cruise around do what he fancies. Plus is way too slow a decision maker after takes a rare mark.

Congrats to Wilson and Garcia though. Caminiti tried hard. But again we just have too many raw players in the team. Moreso when like tonight most of the experienced players went missing.
You play Pop where ever he wants for Sandy. Then let him back once he does what he’s told and succeeds for Sandy. He’s got time at least. And is one of the few who might drive standards at the club. There are not many in that group.

They looked knackered from the get go. Slow to chase, no acceleration or power. And just not switched on as happens you're tired. Fumbly and placid in contests.

I've seen us when we are raging, when we hit hard and just move like lightning, that's the Saints I want to see. I can cop one or two shitshows like this a season - its disappointing, but they are humans (or ARE they, eh Ross?) even if its 2-5, I won't give up on the season.

One thing I thought we'd see less of this year is blind bombing hail Mary kicks up into the F50. All thst work getting the ball, spreading it out just for a weak-arsed 60m punt into the sky, inevitably landing in the arms of a incredulous oppo defender - such a waste of energy, so deflating. Where's the leadership to take care with the ball, take on your tackler, lower your eyes, and make those entries count?

Our leaders really let us down today. Steele, Wilkie, Sinclair. As did many others. But they are only men I suppose and it's a long season still ahead.

Still not convinced we have decent leadership at the club, and Harvey, Goddard and Misson are suspect too.

He's 19 years old and getting put into situations that the likes of Sheezel and Daicos were never put into. He played an entire season more or less as a key forward at 18 years old and was the youngest draftee in his year, bit early to be writing him off?
He never played as a key forward. That’s crazy.

It’s time we started being honest with ourselves. A team featuring Byrnes, Sharman, Cordy, Jones, Bonner and Ross is never going to have a deep run. Everybody knows it deep down. Why not just admit it?

Ross will also know this and let the great clean out continue.
Yep. Think it's clear what awaits us in the off season. Another purge, hit the draft as much as we can and go big on FA next off season.

Might have to wave goodbye to a couple of sacred goats, like we finally did with Gresh, Billings and Coff. If it gets us another Hugo Garcia or whatever, then fine.

13.28, 12.58 & 14.89.

Those numbers are BJs disposal averages for his first 3 seasons. I'll start worrying about Pou in a few seasons time.

We need a game-breaking GENUINE star mid. a Cripps/Danger/Trac/Bont-level mid. We havent had one since Banger and Lenny and without one were not gonna give other Clubs much finals angst.

Any combo of Steele/Crouch/Clark/Jones/Ross/Sinclair is not gonna win us a flag..or even go close. Windy looks like he MIGHT make a good mid, but assuming upward trajectory of our youngers players will do your head in. 3 weeks ago Nas was in AA form, but has fallen away with 2 pretty poor games.

Mark my words, without a GENUINE A-list mid, we're going nowhere.

Unpopular opinion, but I think there's a direct correlation between Wilkie's loss of his AA form and Howard being out of the side.

Cordy is a stop gap break glass option, GWS last year should've shown that.

We badly miss Webster. Our defensive unit, whilst it's the least of our worries, is frail without Webster and Dougs.

Nas, Sinclair and Bonner are all weak defensively, sure they are playmakers but all three together can be exposed defensively. Battle and Wilkie are undersized but make up for that by reading the play better than their opponent. That's why Howard is so important to our defence and the reason why Wilkie can't play the way we need him to.

Yeah that Webster suspension has hurt us defensively especially with Paton being out injured too.

That little flea Weightman ran amok early on as we had no decent small defenders to shut him down.

We also need Howard back, he has his faults but he's still our best tall defender, Cordy got exposed tonight against the Dogs tall forwards.

Without our best six defenders Wilkie is forced to put out spot fires rather than playing the loose man rebounder role that he plays so well.

To say we won’t see a performance like this again is a little bit of a stretch. Port will obliterate us

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 6, 2024: St Kilda v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back